Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS climbing with Typhoon on deck

Reaction score
OK so I had a Q500 but it was Hijacked one night ... No kidding.... Thought maybe the local PD snatched it or maybe it's my Issis neighbors who's home has all kinds of "Interferance" coming from it.... Any way So I got me an H and already having trouble... The GPS locks but starts on deck at about 6 feet and climbs to 60 feet... Local Hobby place did a re-calibration and says they think it's becouse the heat on the top is affecting the barometer... There's a barometer on this thing??? Isent that above sea level ?? Does it then calculate altitude from the GPS... I'm lost....

Well they flew it a few times and it RTH no troubles.... That's the part I was worried about.... Any ideas??

The barometer is used as a rough altimeter. The H and the ST16 both have altimeters so if you are in follow me mode the H will change altitude to follow the controller or the Wizard.
Perhaps you could explain in more detail the behavior you saw from the H. Not sure I follow the explanation from the Hobby shop. The H also has a temp sensor so the altitude is adjusted for changes in temp. However, if the H hasn't adjusted to a hot day when taken outside from an air conditioned building the altitude could vary as it warms up.
The reading you see for altitude on the ST16 is from the altimeter not from GPS.

On start up after the controller and the Drone are connected the altitude reading on the controller shows 6-10 feet.. The longer it sits the higher the ALT reading goes up without moving... Since the recalibration (ineffective) the same problem has persisted .
It seems to level off (on deck) around 60 feet +- a few feet...I know it's not beromitric becouse we are at around 249'.
As for temp . I can't beleave temp would have any affect or would be in the equation for altitude (that's what they where telling me....It was cool in the shop and it was climbing as well... So I haven't allowed it to RTH and self land becouse I'm sure it will slam into the ground...

On start up after the controller and the Drone are connected the altitude reading on the controller shows 6-10 feet.. The longer it sits the higher the ALT reading goes up without moving... Since the recalibration (ineffective) the same problem has persisted .
It seems to level off (on deck) around 60 feet +- a few feet...I know it's not beromitric becouse we are at around 249'.
As for temp . I can't beleave temp would have any affect or would be in the equation for altitude (that's what they where telling me....It was cool in the shop and it was climbing as well... So I haven't allowed it to RTH and self land becouse I'm sure it will slam into the ground...
Mine does the same thing.

Bill W.

My issue is in hover it wont hold altitude. My cheap chinese knock off holds altitude better than my H. Its a hobby king quanum nova

Bill W.

If it's not holding altitude during hover then you need to call Yuneec. The gyro/accelerometer module should maintain altitude hold rather than the altimeter. You might want to calibrate the accelerometers first and test hover again to see if you still have the problem.
As far as RTH, I doubt that the H will slam into the ground simply because the altimeter is reading to high. Consider this: if you were to climb a hill with the ST16 and then hit RTH what would happen? I expect it would land as normal about 25-30' away from the ST16 in the line of flight assuming you have enough altitude before hitting RTH.

Reactions: AOCRET
If it's not holding altitude during hover then you need to call Yuneec. The gyro/accelerometer module should maintain altitude hold rather than the altimeter. You might want to calibrate the accelerometers first and test hover again to see if you still have the problem.
As far as RTH, I doubt that the H will slam into the ground simply because the altimeter is reading to high. Consider this: if you were to climb a hill with the ST16 and then hit RTH what would happen? I expect it would land as normal about 25-30' away from the ST16 in the line of flight assuming you have enough altitude before hitting RTH.
So the H is using the ST16 GPS altitude for RTH!!! Ether way there is somthing wrong with the unit...I'm dreading contacting Yuneec after reading most negative post about there customer servace line. Thank you for the help

So the H is using the ST16 GPS altitude for RTH!!! Ether way there is somthing wrong with the unit...I'm dreading contacting Yuneec after reading most negative post about there customer servace line. Thank you for the help

Do not base Yuneec support on a couple of posts, thousands of people have this drone not just the people here. I for one have had great success with Yuneec, some have not. I do not know why.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I agree that something isn't working properly with your H.
As Brian points out most people have a good experience with customer service. Give them a call and discuss the issue with at tech and see what they have to say.

The reading you see for altitude on the ST16 is from the altimeter not from GPS.

Also my understanding. Both units have barometric sensors, altimeters if you wish, the H resets altitude readout to zero as it initializes at start-up. Nothing to do with GPS, nothing to do with calibration. This setting is inherently not precise, and typically drifts up and down. Sounds like a bad barometric sensor unit in AOCRET's H.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
Yuneec receives thousands of phone calls every week and I would imagine they have a 99% success rate satisfying us. Call em.

Reactions: Brian Mackey

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval