Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS LOST ! ( maintain manual flight ).

Reaction score
.dont like seeing this..had 14 sattellites today,,warning came on and they dropped a couple they recovered and all the sats came back and all was well,,for awhile..
only drops a couple sats before recovering..
insights ? suggestions ??
or fly it and ifi t goes away,easy come easy go ??

Hi. Just smiling for your last phrase😂
Do you wait few minutes after "welcome pilot" message or do you take off immediately when message appears?
Was it long time your bird was not flying?
Were you flying near power lines or near buildings?

I had the same thing happen about 5pm this afternoon. Could only get 12-14 satellites on the H. Several times I got a GPS warning on the screen but it did fly okay. I suspect it may have been weather related or a situation with the satellite system.

I get this a lot at my home in Michigan. It has tall trees all around the property as well as two story homes that are brick or wood frame with plaster walls (so metal mesh beneath the plaster) very effective at blocking GPS satellites.

It is better once above the tree and and roof lines, but hairy on takeoff and landing as I never know when GPS will drop out for a few seconds.

Reactions: 7cyclops
The drop occurs when the ephemeris is rewritten. Second or two, no more. I have a few drones, which was out of use for at least 8 months. After that all of them 2 or 3 times drops the signal. The best way to avoid this is to prepare a preflight update from time to time. Of course, a clear sky is useful too during the flight.

The drop occurs when the ephemeris is rewritten. Second or two, no more. I have a few drones, which was out of use for at least 8 months. After that all of them 2 or 3 times drops the signal. The best way to avoid this is to prepare a preflight update from time to time. Of course, a clear sky is useful too during the flight.
So,,what is involved in this pre flight update to eliminate this ,shall we call it a " feature " ? :)
i was playing with two of them to compare,,,,one did it once for the first time i have been flying it in the last six months.... the other would do it every few minits siting on the ground...
the drone that did it once was like after ten minits on the ground,took off for a flight and no problem..
both had plenty of time to get sats,,up to 23 each at one point and just that one would glitch.
no power lines or buildings,out in the woods with trees aways away..
i have at least another dozen or so GPS drones including new DJI and never have20211107_122953.jpg a gps problem with them..
included a pic where the number of sats dropped down to 10 before recovering..usually didnt seem to drop one or two sats before recovering..
hope i answered every body.. thx.

This is a little different story. GPS lost! (acquiring stage) comes if the earth movement measured by IMU in regards to the same movement, relative to satellites is more than X. How much is X is unknown. The IMU itself is not pretty tolerant to high temperatures. Here a lot of people say, that time is a component of degradation too, but I'm not sure about this one.

Please check the digits in the Typhon H GUI software about the yaw especially. Are they stable when the copter is in a stable position?

Reactions: DoomMeister
This is a little different story. GPS lost! (acquiring stage) comes if the earth movement measured by IMU in regards to the same movement, relative to satellites is more than X. How much is X is unknown. The IMU itself is not pretty tolerant to high temperatures. Here a lot of people say, that time is a component of degradation too, but I'm not sure about this one.

Please check the digits in the Typhon H GUI software about the yaw especially. Are they stable when the copter is in a stable position?
if you mean in the hdware monitor ,there is fine,no movement..
however the info for sats on the left side is for the controller and the sats for the bird in upper rite of screen ?
so is the warning for controller loosing sats ,,they do drop,,what about the drones number of sats ??

tomorrow new day.. will try to pay more attention..
thank you.

however the info for sats on the left side is for the controller and the sats for the bird in upper rite of screen ?
On the left side are from the bird, on the top from the controller. Older versions were able to fly with 7-8 sats, the last is asking for 10 to get a ready status. How many sats receiving the controller have matter only for automated modes. Follow me and so on. If they are enough you will see white blinks on the tail.
No hardware monitor, where you see your sticks position. GUI is Windows software. There you should watch it.

Reactions: DoomMeister
What @Vaklin id telling you is to hook the aircraft with the problem of dropping GPS Ready to the GUI program for the Typhoon H. It is a Windows program put out by Yuneec and downloadable from YuneecSkins.com. Once the program is installed and you are connected to it by USB cable from the aircraft to the PC, monitor the yaw axis. If it steadily moves while the aircraft is sitting still that is s major symptom of the IMU failing. I believe this is covered in the document that @h-elsner compiled and referenced in an earlier post of this thread.

What @Vaklin id telling you is to hook the aircraft with the problem of dropping GPS Ready to the GUI program for the Typhoon H. It is a Windows program put out by Yuneec and downloadable from YuneecSkins.com. Once the program is installed and you are connected to it by USB cable from the aircraft to the PC, monitor the yaw axis. If it steadily moves while the aircraft is sitting still that is s major symptom of the IMU failing. I believe this is covered in the document that @h-elsner compiled and referenced in an earlier post of this thread.
Sorry,,i cant find any h-elsner in this thread..
but willfind the windows software on yuneec skins.
tnx.
reason i am so slow i i plain have to darn many toys !! :)

Sorry,,i cant find any h-elsner in this thread.

Reactions: Chris Koch
Temporary lose of GPS fix may have different root causes. It starts with sun activity and ends with broken GPS antenna. It also may be an early stage of the ugly "GPS-Acquiring" problem which is caused by IMU.

It would be helpful to see the flight logs from such case. The number of sats alone is not meaningful. One can have many sats and bad GPS or low amount of sats and good positioning...

br HE

Temporary lose of GPS fix may have different root causes. It starts with sun activity and ends with broken GPS antenna. It also may be an early stage of the ugly "GPS-Acquiring" problem which is caused by IMU.

It would be helpful to see the flight logs from such case. The number of sats alone is not meaningful. One can have many sats and bad GPS or low amount of sats and good positioning...

br HE
will be reading your report,thank you,,,and see where that leads..
all is fun and games for awhile but then does it end up being worth the work ??

My apologies @roncoinc , @h-elsner had posted a link to the document I was thinking of in another thread similar to this one. I should have reviewed this thread more thoroughly. This is the document I was referring to: More info here: http://h-elsner.mooo.com/pdf/GPS_acquiring_problem.pdf
man,,you are on top of about everything arent you, !
how about i send a big box of all my yuneec stuff and you can have fun for a coupe of weeks playing with it !! LOL ! :)

man,,you are on top of about everything arent you, !
how about i send a big box of all my yuneec stuff and you can have fun for a coupe of weeks playing with it !! LOL ! :)
That could be fun!

Reactions: roncoinc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430