Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon h lost control and crashed

Reaction score
Hello, Just got the drone, basically i took it on a little flight this morning( first flight) i decided it was too windy and i wasnt comfortable flying it. It felt like the drone was trying to fight me when i was trying to land it, not sure if it was the wind or what but it did it even when the gusts werent blowing. So i went to a bigger area this afternoon, checked if there was restrictions in the airzone, there wasnt, and i took off. Was doing well for like 5 minutes. Since it was a new drone, i wanted to try out all the features and whatnot. I turned on obstacle avoidance just because i was exploring the features. It said ready on the st16 and some radar looking stuff popped up on the screen. Ok, seemed normal I continued flying. On the front arms there are the two white lights, they started alternating red/white/red/white I thought it was just obs avoidance but i was cautious with it and then my st16 said gps signal lost-continue manual flight so immediately i wanted to land it. Im pretty sure i got gps signal back, but i dont remember. I tried to land it, it wasnt going down, i turned obs avoidance off and rotated it to make it easier for my own coordination. It didnt do anything for maybe 15 seconds after that and then all of the sudden went straight up another 100 feet probably and stood there then it turned and started diving away from me. Wouldnt respond to anything i was doing. It went down and crashed, away from home point/where i was standing. I shut the drone off and looked at the damage. After assessing i turned it back on to see if it still works. I started the motors (without props) they started right up i waited a second and decided to throttle up a little to see what they would do. One motor looked like it binded up on something for half a second then kept going ,the one next to it making a weird metallic tapping noise I got a motor failure warning on my st16. I did not get this type of warning leading up to the crash. St16 and drone battery were full, battery was installed correctly and so were the props. It seems to have happened out of nowhere, everything was working perfectly besides my feeling of the drone trying to fight me earlier today. Im hoping anyone can provide some insight on to why this would happen. The drone was recording the whole time until i shut it off. Im going to try to attach the video. Thank you for your time

From your description of events I am certain you have the Typhoon H Plus (or possibly the new H3). The front LED’s flashing white are an indication of being in OBS mode and when they also started flashing red that was the indication of low battery power.

Please verify which camera you have so we can be certain of which Typhoon model you are using. Is your camera the CGO3+, the C23, or the ION L1?

Reactions: WTFDproject
I was gonna write a post about this with my 480. I recently bought a new battery because both of my originals were puffed and I suspected power fluctuations potentially being the cause of at least 1 of my crashes. I took the H to a local park where Ive flown a dozen times (crashed once) I turned on my st16 turned on the H acquired 17-19 sats and launched battery showed 16.4 volts. zero wind. I flew out over the lake maybe 100 yrds. id missed golden hour and it was getting dark so I decided to bring her in and call it a night. throttle backwards stopped about 10ft overhead, prepared for hand catch. insert toilet bowl effect! i immediately took her up about 100ft and began trying to get her steady. I didnt get a loss of sat signal I just assumed that was the case. brought her down in rabbit mode and almost decapitated myself! brought it back up to about 50 ft and repeated the whole process for the next 15 minutes or so. finally i got my first low battery warning. At this point shes in an almost steady circle over shore, over land. not wanting to lose her in the water i decided to bring her down and just snatch her and try and kill the motors at the same time. I missed and she plowed into a nearby thicket. one leg broken but none the worse for wear. I was done. Id had this drone for 6mths and this was my 3rd and by far worse crash! I bought a new bigger batt. Ive elevated my gps receiver. What else could it be FC? nah i'm done.The next day I bought the newest drone on the planet. Eager to get to the park, and prove to myself that the H was just faulty. I Turned on controller calibrated drone....and got a warning about magnetic fields present!!!! the H never gave such a warning even though i know its capable. I didnt fly. This is the part that I want to get to. I went to another park on the other side of town where the H flew better than she had ever. I launched her in rabbit took off across the field like a puppy! up down sideways it was the reason I bought this drone in the first place. about 10 minutes in i decided to circle the bathroom facility (something i hadnt done before) about 20ft off the ground and maybe 30ft away. Everything was fine until i got back to 0degrees which was approximatly in line to where i was 100ft away. i immediatly got the buzzing and mag field warning! WTH!?! im in the middle of a field next to nothing....but the bathrooms with a metal roof!!! insert.....toilet bowl effect!!! This time i was more prepared than before. i remember the guy who fixed my drone the first time I crashed told me he doesnt use gps.....turn it off he said. I thought to myself " sir I will never turn gps off" I took her up about 50ft hit calibrate and turned gps off......Toilet bowl stopped. brought her down, hand catch. Switched off motors and thought for a minute....Fired up the motors again took her straight up to about 50ft. instant toilet bowl....I said all that to say. especially with the H (I dont know if you have a 480) with the lack of extended flying time these batteries give us. With no time to spare when these birds get squirley, everyone should practice shutting gps off ( in a controlled low wind setting) and landing with out it. You dont want to be fighting a gps lock in the middle of fighting the wind or some other issue. Trust me you wont regret it. Hold short

Sounds like defective compass or calibration went wrong. Another reason may be that the GPS module was mounted in a wrong direction.

Diagnosis:
- ST16 HW monitor and/or output monitor
- FlightLogs (error flags, GPSaccH, othe HW flags)
- GUI (compare the yaw value with real direction og the drone, if heading north it should be ~0°).

br HE

Last edited:
Your toilet-bowl effect caught my eye. My refurbished TH had a very bad TB effect after flying for several minutes. Almost crashed it. I sent it back to the refurbisher. He replaced the flight controller. It worked perfectly after that.

From your description of events I am certain you have the Typhoon H Plus (or possibly the new H3). The front LED’s flashing white are an indication of being in OBS mode and when they also started flashing red that was the indication of low battery power.

Please verify which camera you have so we can be certain of which Typhoon model you are using. Is your camera the CGO3+, the C23, or the ION L1?
I believe it is the cg03+ sir. It was a fully charged battery flying for maybe two minutes

I was gonna write a post about this with my 480. I recently bought a new battery because both of my originals were puffed and I suspected power fluctuations potentially being the cause of at least 1 of my crashes. I took the H to a local park where Ive flown a dozen times (crashed once) I turned on my st16 turned on the H acquired 17-19 sats and launched battery showed 16.4 volts. zero wind. I flew out over the lake maybe 100 yrds. id missed golden hour and it was getting dark so I decided to bring her in and call it a night. throttle backwards stopped about 10ft overhead, prepared for hand catch. insert toilet bowl effect! i immediately took her up about 100ft and began trying to get her steady. I didnt get a loss of sat signal I just assumed that was the case. brought her down in rabbit mode and almost decapitated myself! brought it back up to about 50 ft and repeated the whole process for the next 15 minutes or so. finally i got my first low battery warning. At this point shes in an almost steady circle over shore, over land. not wanting to lose her in the water i decided to bring her down and just snatch her and try and kill the motors at the same time. I missed and she plowed into a nearby thicket. one leg broken but none the worse for wear. I was done. Id had this drone for 6mths and this was my 3rd and by far worse crash! I bought a new bigger batt. Ive elevated my gps receiver. What else could it be FC? nah i'm done.The next day I bought the newest drone on the planet. Eager to get to the park, and prove to myself that the H was just faulty. I Turned on controller calibrated drone....and got a warning about magnetic fields present!!!! the H never gave such a warning even though i know its capable. I didnt fly. This is the part that I want to get to. I went to another park on the other side of town where the H flew better than she had ever. I launched her in rabbit took off across the field like a puppy! up down sideways it was the reason I bought this drone in the first place. about 10 minutes in i decided to circle the bathroom facility (something i hadnt done before) about 20ft off the ground and maybe 30ft away. Everything was fine until i got back to 0degrees which was approximatly in line to where i was 100ft away. i immediatly got the buzzing and mag field warning! WTH!?! im in the middle of a field next to nothing....but the bathrooms with a metal roof!!! insert.....toilet bowl effect!!! This time i was more prepared than before. i remember the guy who fixed my drone the first time I crashed told me he doesnt use gps.....turn it off he said. I thought to myself " sir I will never turn gps off" I took her up about 50ft hit calibrate and turned gps off......Toilet bowl stopped. brought her down, hand catch. Switched off motors and thought for a minute....Fired up the motors again took her straight up to about 50ft. instant toilet bowl....I said all that to say. especially with the H (I dont know if you have a 480) with the lack of extended flying time these batteries give us. With no time to spare when these birds get squirley, everyone should practice shutting gps off ( in a controlled low wind setting) and landing with out it. You dont want to be fighting a gps lock in the middle of fighting the wind or some other issue. Trust me you wont regret it. Hold short
Hi thanks for the reply, sorry what is toilet bowl effect? I will definitely try to fly without gps. I will have to figure out how to turn it off first.

Thank you everyone for your replies! I have no idea what toilet bowl effect is but i guess it happened to me haha! I am researching a lot i still have to recover flight data and stuff. It is a h480 btw!

Attachments

• 42B63E87-0273-41C3-AB9C-8DE98E240F1A.jpeg
    42B63E87-0273-41C3-AB9C-8DE98E240F1A.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 18
Please do never use those cheap (red or black) propellers that are offered by some dealer (mostly China). This is crap. Maybe the problems came from broken props.

Toilt bowl is an unwanted spiral movement of the drone, mostly caused by compass (defective or out of calibration). It spirals down like the water in a toilet ;-). It was a common problem with older firmware and possibly older compass chips. Newer H480 have another comass chip. In the last years the toilet bolw effect was no more that common as it was before. Maybe the new chip or improved firmware have solved that.

For more diagnosis the flightlogs would be good to have. To download the flightlog folder please connect the ST16 to your PC by USB cable. The ST16 must booted up fully before you plug in the USB in order the PC can detect the Anroid device.

br HE

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal