Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS receiver, some questions...

Reaction score
Hi!
Anybody has played with the GPS receiver from the H480? I'd like to not discovered the hot water one more time, so better is to ask before.
Due to not so good situation with the RTK drones market, I'd like to do some full or almost full PPK.

Post-Processing Kinematic is what exactly I want to have because no reason to pay a lot, just to get the same spatial position. Especially for me is more than enough to know where I was, instead to try to be somewhere. All software, paid or not so paid, is based on the raw data from the GPS with the idea to recovery the clock error, and as many as he can, radio-wave propagation error. About the propagation error, we can get some public data for our area. Not the same is with the clock error. It's unpredictable, depends on the temperature, and so on. So, we can avoid this error if we start from the known position with precisely measured coordinates. After that, math has a place.

Let me say, I don't want to ruin any RTK business, my needs are totally reasonable. To get without paying the price. Who doesn't want to have the same?
:)

Reactions: Marcasscarcass
Especially for me is more than enough to know where I was, instead to try to be somewhere.

I intend to answer your post. Still trying to decipher this sentence, lol.

Past and future.
I can be somewhere in the past and resolve where I exactly was in the future. This will cost less eforts instead to be in the strictly precised plase.

I suspect a language problem here.

I don’t completely understand PPK, but I believe it uses known precise geographic points within the survey area to measure the error in the GPS data collected for the survey.

What I get from @Vaklin post is how is the time error measured. I may be interpreting that incorrectly. He has definitely investigated this deeper than I ever have. Hopefully those using PPK on a regular basis can help get this on the right track.

Language is OK. The problem is with abstractions.

Let me try to explain my idea more deeply.

The first scenario. We have a sophisticated drone with an RTK module for $$$$. We have a "centimeter precision" in the air, and we can be in the same place many times. Who wants this I don't know, but if the manufacturer tries to sell this kind of service, someone is ready to buy.

The second scenario. We have a regular drone, which flights somewhere in the air with precision, not to make suicide in the obstacles. We don't know where exactly it was in real-time, but we expect to know where it was with some investigation and calculations. Cheaper and with almost the same result.

Because I for sure will not choose the first scenario, I'm asking if someone tried with the second one and how he/she did it.

I think I caught the idea that time.

I can be somewhere in the past and resolve where I exactly was in the future.
Don't know if it's a translation issue or not, but it sure sounds like something Yoda would say. :)

On a more practical note, I believe your explanation would translate to American English as something like "I want to be able to fly the mission with safe, functional (normal) accuracy, and then have a way to resolve the precise locations later".
I agree that this would be a very desirable choice for many users.

(The interesting thought is that this "American English" version will not likely translate to other languages any better. Such are the pitfalls of a global forum.)

Last edited:
You did a good translation. I'm using sentences, like mentioned one, just to provoke people's mind.

If someone can catch the idea from my typings, he will think about that too. Probably he/she will share something reasoneble, which will grow to something usefulll.

Machine translation can't create this.

H480 has u-blox MAX-M8Q which doesn't support RXM-RAWX. The M8P and M8T do.
If it had M8N then maybe could be upgraded to M8T. So no luck.
You need to attach separate GNSS logger with antenna based on M8T or other rawx capable to do PPK.

What you could do is connect to UART of GPS module and play using u-blox parameters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal