Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H batteries - not holding a charge

Reaction score
I've had my Typhoon H for about 18 months. Both of my batteries fail to fully charge. Is this normal? These are the two batteries that came with the unit.

I've had my Typhoon H for about 18 months. Both of my batteries fail to fully charge. Is this normal? These are the two batteries that came with the unit.

Depends on how you treated the batteries, did you make sure they where only charged about halfway while storing them , how many charge cycles .

What are the cell voltages .

Lee,
What sort of Charger are you using? If it is the stock one, That could be the problem, they are only good for keeping a small door a-jar hoping for a breeze to come in. Look up the magnifying glass at the top right and type in battery chargers and read till your heart's content and go out and buy a good multi hobby charger that will charge all types of batteries and some adapter cables and get charging your batteries properly. I hope that this helps you out. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the GRASS.

Depends on how you treated the batteries, did you make sure they where only charged about halfway while storing them , how many charge cycles .

What are the cell voltages .
No, When I stopped using my craft for awhile, the batteries were fully charged. Cell voltages - I don't have it handy but these are the original batteries that were shipped with the copter. So, the cause if the long storage of the batteries and they are now no longer useful as a result? The copter sends the battery alerts as soon as I lift off - even though I've fully charged the unit. Still the batteries only register 86% and 88% fully charged.

Thanks. One response was the charging unit should be replaced. Your thoughts. Thanks again.

Lee,
What sort of Charger are you using? If it is the stock one, That could be the problem, they are only good for keeping a small door a-jar hoping for a breeze to come in. Look up the magnifying glass at the top right and type in battery chargers and read till your heart's content and go out and buy a good multi hobby charger that will charge all types of batteries and some adapter cables and get charging your batteries properly. I hope that this helps you out. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the GRASS.

I'm using the charger that came with the purchase of the copter. The batteries appear to be near their full charge (86%/88%), still the alarm occurs as soon as the copter is airborne. Thanks.

No, When I stopped using my craft for awhile, the batteries were fully charged. Cell voltages - I don't have it handy but these are the original batteries that were shipped with the copter. So, the cause if the long storage of the batteries and they are now no longer useful as a result? The copter sends the battery alerts as soon as I lift off - even though I've fully charged the unit. Still the batteries only register 86% and 88% fully charged.

Thanks. One response was the charging unit should be replaced. Your thoughts. Thanks again.

You need to check your current voltage to determine if those batteries are still usable. If you stored those original batteries for a long period of time (how long?) they will likely need replacement. I would suggest you do a forum search for "lipo battery care".
Lipos should not be stored at full voltage, but at a storage voltage. Even at storage, voltage levels cannot be maintained indefinity, and need to be periodically checked.

Unfortunately the OEM charger does not provide that storage function, so you should look into both new batteries as well as a charger that has the feature of storage charging/discharging. The EV-Peak DY3 is such a charger, among many others.

Reactions: Jim Davies
I'm using the charger that came with the purchase of the copter. The batteries appear to be near their full charge (86%/88%), still the alarm occurs as soon as the copter is airborne. Thanks.

With the percentages you quoted for the batteries right off of a full charge, I suspect you have a bad cell in the batteries, hence the warning right after liftoff.

Take the advice of the others! But new batteries and a good third party charger.

Storing at full charge damages cells. A damaged cell 1/10 volt different from the rest will trigger warnings. In all probability the way you stored the batteries, fully charged, has damaged them. Learn from the experience, learn more about proper care of different battery chemistries, buy some new batteries, and obtain better charging equipment. The charger provided with the H provides the minimum necessary for a neophyte to charge a battery but nothing to maintain them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fabricolaundry