Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 DIY GPS / RTK-GPS

Reaction score
Hi,

I am investigating the H520 GPS unit and options to replace it.
Eventually I am looking into replacing the Yuneec unit with an RTK-GPS unit - but as a first step I would like to just replace it with an off-the shelf UBlox GPS (e.g. Ublox m8n).

A first striking difference: although the GPS unit uses a standard JST-GH 6-pin connector, as most GPS modules for Pixhawk flight controllers also use - it does not use the standard pinout. Most importantly: 5V from H520 connects to GND on a standard GPS module.\

So you need to change the connector accordingly. As I could not get the module working yet, I have not confirmed the pinout except for 5V/GND. Does anyone know if I am right here?

Another thing would be the baudrate. I have tried with 115200 but could not get it to work. Not sure what Yuneec is using.
The standard PX4 flight stack will try different baudrates automatically to find a GPS but the Yuneec variant might have it hardcoded.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated :)

Eric

Attachments

• 2020-06-03-173646_1275x1159_scrot.png
    2020-06-03-173646_1275x1159_scrot.png
    2 MB · Views: 66
Reactions: Mike Irish
Nice idea, but as you mentionet there may be problem with px4 parameters like gps1_baud. There is possibility to check that with advanced mode in DataPilot or in unbranded QGC, but If you know how to change blocked params?

Nice idea, but as you mentionet there may be problem with px4 parameters like gps1_baud. There is possibility to check that with advanced mode in DataPilot or in unbranded QGC, but If you know how to change blocked params?
I only heard about some secret "Expert Mode" that can be activated to change blocked params. But I could not find any information on how to actually activate it. Any hints? :)

I only heard about some secret "Expert Mode" that can be activated to change blocked params. But I could not find any information on how to actually activate it. Any hints? :)

you need to keep tapping on the three lines on the left top of the interface of the ST16s to get into that hidden menu.

Hi,

I am investigating the H520 GPS unit and options to replace it.
Eventually I am looking into replacing the Yuneec unit with an RTK-GPS unit - but as a first step I would like to just replace it with an off-the shelf UBlox GPS (e.g. Ublox m8n).

A first striking difference: although the GPS unit uses a standard JST-GH 6-pin connector, as most GPS modules for Pixhawk flight controllers also use - it does not use the standard pinout. Most importantly: 5V from H520 connects to GND on a standard GPS module.\

So you need to change the connector accordingly. As I could not get the module working yet, I have not confirmed the pinout except for 5V/GND. Does anyone know if I am right here?

Another thing would be the baudrate. I have tried with 115200 but could not get it to work. Not sure what Yuneec is using.
The standard PX4 flight stack will try different baudrates automatically to find a GPS but the Yuneec variant might have it hardcoded.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated :)

Eric
How do you plan on doing RTK? Base station/NTRIP? What software interface do you plan on using to establish the radio link for corrections. Are you just trying to gain RTK navigation? Or time-stamping as well for photogrammetry?

You should check out the Emlid M2.

The one used for H520 seems to be that one.

The one used for H520 seems to be that one.
Unless they've changed hardware since beta testing this isn't the chipset used. I can't divulge exactly what module was being used, but it was a major survey-grade manufacturer.

Since the E model has been announced the original H520 is basically retired. That's why the RTK version was scrapped. There is supposed to be an RTK version of the H520E though.

We'll see what the E model RTK is really all about if it does make it to production, but more than likely most professional mappers would use it for PPK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop