Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 Single Points of Failure

Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone have a list of all the Single Points of Failure on the H520?

Thanks

Shane

Not sure if you are talking about catastrophic failure, as in fly away, or total loss of RC control and then crash, neither of which I have had thankfully But I have a list of annoying quirks I have experienced with my H520.... not sure if my list is typical or these just occur with my H520.
Just to let everyone know because some will ask..... latest updates to Datapilot, H520, E90 and ST16s have been applied, using "square" patch for video antenna, SD card: Sandisk Extreme Pro 128gb U3 A2

- "no SD card present" message when it is present - turning craft off, then back on usually fixes this - then it "sees" the SD card
- unable to connect to ST16s after waiting up to 5 min - turning off, then back on usually allows connection.
- sometimes extremely long wait for connection - up to 3-5 min
- "camera not connected" message even though I can see the camera's display on the ST16s screen
- occasionally get the "spinning rotor" icon (no connection to camera) when pressing the video button - fixable by restarting H520 power button (after landing)
- once the ST16s went blank in the middle of a flight, then restarted on it own and reconnected to craft, H520 began RTL but I cancelled after connection was regained (scary moment)

Other quirks not called failures but just the Yuneec factory flight characteristics, still annoying though....
- pitch and roll stick has no reaction to small movement, then reacts suddenly when movement is further, resulting in jerky movement of craft and sometimes rotors in video
- no adjustibility for "stick expo" - relates to above
- no CCC mission (no curve path just angular)
- no D-pad cruise function - Why not Yuneec?

Not sure if you are talking about catastrophic failure, as in fly away, or total loss of RC control and then crash, neither of which I have had thankfully But I have a list of annoying quirks I have experienced with my H520.... not sure if my list is typical or these just occur with my H520.
Just to let everyone know because some will ask..... latest updates to Datapilot, H520, E90 and ST16s have been applied, using "square" patch for video antenna, SD card: Sandisk Extreme Pro 128gb U3 A2

- "no SD card present" message when it is present - turning craft off, then back on usually fixes this - then it "sees" the SD card
- unable to connect to ST16s after waiting up to 5 min - turning off, then back on usually allows connection.
- sometimes extremely long wait for connection - up to 3-5 min
- "camera not connected" message even though I can see the camera's display on the ST16s screen
- occasionally get the "spinning rotor" icon (no connection to camera) when pressing the video button - fixable by restarting H520 power button (after landing)

Other quirks not called failures but just the Yuneec factory flight characteristics, still annoying though....
- pitch and roll stick has no reaction to small movement, then reacts suddenly when movement is further, resulting in jerky movement of craft and sometimes rotors in video
- no adjustibility for "stick expo" - relates to above
- no CCC mission (no curve path just angular)
- no D-pad cruise function - Why not Yuneec?
I can help with your camera issue as I've just had mine back from Yuneec UK with the same issue. It's your SD card that's the problem. I was using 128GB too. 128GB formats in exFAT whereas the Yuneec prefers FAT32 as a format. I'm using 32GB SD cards now without issue. But I had exactly the same issues as you. Now I just use the 128GB cards in my other drones and DSLR.

As for my question: I'm writing my OSC and it requires the identification of single points of failure, which should the fail, are almost certain to lead to accident. So the single battery, GPS, accelerometer, barometric sensor etc would all count. Whereas motor redundancy and frequency cycling between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz would be classed as redundancy systems.

Other tips: Try put the aircraft into slow using the right rear trigger. It makes the movements smoother although Yaw is still over sensitive in my opinion. You can have circular path if you tap on the map I believe and you can set the circle diameter then move side-to-side to go clockwise/counterclockwise on the circular flight path, keeping the camera looking inwards.

I can help with your camera issue as I've just had mine back from Yuneec UK with the same issue. It's your SD card that's the problem. I was using 128GB too. 128GB formats in exFAT whereas the Yuneec prefers FAT32 as a format. I'm using 32GB SD cards now without issue. But I had exactly the same issues as you. Now I just use the 128GB cards in my other drones and DSLR.

As for my question: I'm writing my OSC and it requires the identification of single points of failure, which should the fail, are almost certain to lead to accident. So the single battery, GPS, accelerometer, barometric sensor etc would all count. Whereas motor redundancy and frequency cycling between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz would be classed as redundancy systems.

Other tips: Try put the aircraft into slow using the right rear trigger. It makes the movements smoother although Yaw is still over sensitive in my opinion. You can have circular path if you tap on the map I believe and you can set the circle diameter then move side-to-side to go clockwise/counterclockwise on the circular flight path, keeping the camera looking inwards.
When you say...Try put the aircraft into slow using the right rear trigger" Do you mean the upper right rear "Turtle/Rabbit" slider? - Yes, have tried that, but still jerks when it finally engages the stick (but not as bad)

When you say...Try put the aircraft into slow using the right rear trigger" Do you mean the upper right rear "Turtle/Rabbit" slider? - Yes, have tried that, but still jerks when it finally engages the stick (but not as bad)
That's the one. I couldn't remember what the animals were as I was away from the controller earlier.

Apparently I mis-remembered the labels too as Yuneec changed from symbols "Rabbit/Turtle to words "Hi speed/Lo speed" for the H520/H-Plus presumably sounding more professional.......

Last edited:
Apparently I mis-remebered the labels too as Yuneec changed from symbols "Rabbit/Turtle to words "Hi speed/Lo speed" for the H520/H-Plus presumably sounding more professional.......
Yep, just depends on when you got it and where from. The first test unit I got had the animals and the last one I got about 6 months ago has hi/lo. I've got another radio on the way so who knows that this one will say.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval