Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520E RTK PPK processing

Reaction score
So our office just received the RTK upgrade for the H520E mounted with a E90X payload. Previously we were setting GCPs and processing the imagery with Pix4DMapper. Now that we have the RTK installed, we are looking to run a Trimble GNSS static receiver during the flight, process the receiver, and geotag the imagery with the receiver files and corrected coordinate.

We have a Wingtra Gen2 that comes with software to geotag the imagery, which applies RINEX base files and a known coordinate to the imagery and writing to the EXIF file of each image. We also have a WISPR Ranger Pro 1100 that carries a Livox Avia lidar payload. The lidar company supplies similar post processing software. So where is the software from Yuneec???

I have read that RTKLIB is the go-to for processing, but I haven't the faintest clue as how to use it with the E90X imagery. Anyone have a workflow for this?

I understand and that doing all the configuration in the open forum here would possibly violate protocols with the companies you work for (such as proprietary data or locations), but it would be great to share as much as possible in this thread so others can learn. TIA to you both.

I use RTKLIB to process uBlox GNSS data with a base station and remote for flight test aircraft tracking. I would be happy to help you get started and assist in getting your processing configured. I don't have the experience and expertise that Tim Everett at About has, but I think I have enough background to help.

One key is to make sure you are recording the right information to either convert to RINEX or directly in RINEX in a form that RTKLIB can use. It is also best to have the same receiver for the base and remote, but it sounds like that may already be determined for you.

Let's find out what your two receiver models are to start with and then we can work on getting them configured to log the required data.

I'll check back to see if/how you would like to coordinate the effort.
Thank you for your reply! It looks like the Yuneec RTK module runs on a Nebulas-II GNSS chip. We have Trimble R7, R9s and R750 receivers that we use for GNSS base stations and static observations.
The Yuneec records the positioning data in what appears to be a proprietary file format (PPKRAW.unc) and comes with Unicorecomm's Converter.exe to break out the RINEX files. Trimble also provides a RINEX converter for their raw files as well.

@DoomMeister Right now the only flight we have done with the new module is over our office, so client-sensitive data isn't an issue!

I read around and found REDToolBox is compatible with the Yuneec's data output and Outputs a Pix4DMapper project file directly. So, I gave it a try, and everything seemed to process well. The datum for the imagery is WGS84 and is the vertical is adjusted using the geoid height above the WGS84 ellipsoid. My output needs to NJSPCS NAD83 (2011) USF and NAVD88 USF. I opened the project in P4D and applied a geoid height correction and specified the output I need. The geotagging SHOULD put my data dangerously close to my GCP's before I use them. However, my horizontal and vertical are both about a foot off. I am not pleased.

@Omnitest please attach the pdf to a post and also post as much as you can about your workflow so others can learn from this thread. Many thanks!

RedToolbox does allow for base station data and corrected base station coordinates. We flew another site last week and processed again. This time the data was 0.3-0.4ft off known target coordinates. Still think it should be closer. Will add more to this conversation tomorrow when I get back in the office.

We are seeing something similar. As i have noted in other posts, I would be happy to share with anyone our PPK process. I wrote it myself using Excel. We have continued to get about 0.25 feet of delta between PPK and PPK+Aerial Targerts, (or just aerial targets alone). I think I may know why, but haven't isolated it yet. I just had my ahha moment tonight and am going to test it tomorrow.

Seriously, if anyone would like to see me walk through the PPK process using a Yuneec H520E RTK data set and Emlid Studio, I would be happy to share.

We are seeing something similar. As i have noted in other posts, I would be happy to share with anyone our PPK process. I wrote it myself using Excel. We have continued to get about 0.25 feet of delta between PPK and PPK+Aerial Targerts, (or just aerial targets alone). I think I may know why, but haven't isolated it yet. I just had my ahha moment tonight and am going to test it tomorrow.

Seriously, if anyone would like to see me walk through the PPK process using a Yuneec H520E RTK data set and Emlid Studio, I would be happy to share.
Good day,

I realize that this reaction comes a couple months later, but I would really appreciate it if would share a document describing your PPK process using a Yuneec H520E.

We are using a H520E-RTK for topographic surveys, but we are having trouble connecting to real-time RTK via NTRIP. As a plan B we are now trying to get the drone to work with Post-Processing the RTK data. We have our Rinex files from our base-station on site but naturally we also need the Rinex observation files from the H520E. Would you have any idea how to extract the required Rinex data out of the H520E?

Is that even possible while operating the drone with "RTK mode" turned off? When we enable RTK mode, even with NTRIP corrections from our base station clearlyco ming in, the drone loses all its satellites. This is why we have resorted to using the drone with "RTK mode" turned off.

Best regards,
Louis

I am happy to help. I would want to walk you through the work flow as it is time consuming at first, and it helps with the processing if you have data to work with that does work. Feel free to let me know when are are available and I can set up a lunch and learn, virtual lunch and learn, and hopefully someone else may want to share within the topic.

Good day, and thank you for your quick reaction.

I think we should be able to figure out our own PPK workflow with the software that we currently have at our disposal as we have done this before with other types of drones. I am also think I am not be able to find the time for a full virtual lunch any time soon.

We are just stuck at the very beginning: Getting the right Rinex observation file out of the H520E-RTK drone. Are you able to just share with us how you extract the required Rinex data out of the H520E? No rinex file is created after flight on the SD-card, nor is there any .BIN file.

Thanks in advance!
Louis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval