Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Hanging antenna wire

Reaction score
Being a HAM radio operator, I needed to hang some new wire among some trees in my yard.
Normally I use a bow & Arrow with a fishing line. It usually takes many shots to get the line in a "OK THAT WILL WORK" place as opposed to the optimal place.
So yesterday, there was no wind, so why not give it a go.
Took the camera off, (weight and didn't want to risk it). Hooked the rope to the landing skid and off I went.

Antenna.jpg
Flew as high as the rope I had would allow, got the line just where I wanted in the top of the tree and landed on the other side.
Really plays on the pucker factor though.

Thought about trying this myself, but the pucker factor wouldn't allow. The thought of landing with a line attached was too intimidating to even try. Just looking at your picture gets me all puckered!

However I am currently making a drop setup like this Stork System that uses the retracting struts to release the load. I will then use a lead weight on the end of the line to drop it exactly where I want it.

Skyzimir Stork H Drop System for Yuneec H520/H480
Skyzimir Stork H Drop System for Yuneec H520/H480 | eBay

screenhunter_5669-oct-02-18-49-jpg.12072

The Stork is rated for 1.8 lbs., WAY more than any antenna wire I plan to hang, mine should easily carry the same. At $130 buck$ it's a bit $pendy for just the occasional use so I decided to make my own for a few dollars in parts. If you're interested I'll show you what I came with.
-K7WWH-

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_5669 Oct. 02 18.49.jpg
    ScreenHunter_5669 Oct. 02 18.49.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: AJan
Being a HAM radio operator, I needed to hang some new wire among some trees in my yard.
Normally I use a bow & Arrow with a fishing line. It usually takes many shots to get the line in a "OK THAT WILL WORK" place as opposed to the optimal place.
So yesterday, there was no wind, so why not give it a go.
Took the camera off, (weight and didn't want to risk it). Hooked the rope to the landing skid and off I went.

View attachment 12027
Flew as high as the rope I had would allow, got the line just where I wanted in the top of the tree and landed on the other side.
Really plays on the pucker factor though.
LOOk, Up in the sky???? It's, ohhhhhhh, just a tethered drone.

Nice work @BobW55:cool:

@DCH
Easiest, cheapest thing to do is just use a dowel rod.
Use a zip tie to fasten it to one leg, let the other end just rest on the other skid. When you raise the landing gear, your weight will slide right off.

@BobW55
That would work alright, however if the load slid to one side, control of the craft would become difficult. I feel safer having the load fixed at the COG, it's a safer option. Double O-Rings on the rods in the photo prevent the load from shifting off center when the craft is jostled by the reluctant GPS lock suddenly yielding to joystick input -like the H is so prone to doing. I call it the "Marionette effect".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aimal khan