Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How do i fly at the airport?

Reaction score
Hello i got a new Typhoon H and want to film my planes at a small local airport i hear Yuneec blocks the drones motors from even starting up how do i fly at the airport? i have permission to fly at this airport.

Hello i got a new Typhoon H and want to film my planes at a small local airport i hear Yuneec blocks the drones motors from even starting up how do i fly at the airport? i have permission to fly at this airport.
Contact Yuneec and they can give a a waiver and passcode to alter your GUI setting for airport, It is the FAA you better worry about!

It is not all airports. I started my H motors recently from within a hangar at a large metropolitan General Aviation airport. Doors were open so it received a good GPS lock.

i run an airport and teach people to fly for a living. Only class D,C,andB airports are in the NFZ. My airport is class G and I fly my TH everyday there.

All you should due is contact the airport authorities and get permission if operating at one. within the 5 Miles you should contact the FBO and tell them your location and how high you will be flying. I would not fly any closer than 2 to 3 miles to stay out of the pattern. You may want to contact the FAA Flight Service in your area and give them where you are how high you are flying as a saftey precaution.

I fly at and near some types of airports myself but your post implies you want to take a new unit straight to the airport without first getting to know the system. I hope you do not do that and instead take the time to put 10 or 15 flights on the system at a different location in order to completely test the system and for you to become very familiar with the control functions. Bear in mind our FAA does prohibit the flying of model aircraft at airports that accept federal money so although you may have permission if anything happens, or the FAA comes sniffing about, it will all be on you.

For the record, I completely oppose those that don't have at least a Private Pilot certificate flying near an airport. Those that don't fully understand full scale aviation rules, regulations, and full scale aircraft performance limitations need to stay far away from such areas.

Reactions: DroneClone
I fly at and near some types of airports myself but your post implies you want to take a new unit straight to the airport without first getting to know the system. I hope you do not do that and instead take the time to put 10 or 15 flights on the system at a different location in order to completely test the system and for you to become very familiar with the control functions. Bear in mind our FAA does prohibit the flying of model aircraft at airports that accept federal money so although you may have permission if anything happens, or the FAA comes sniffing about, it will all be on you.

For the record, I completely oppose those that don't have at least a Private Pilot certificate flying near an airport. Those that don't fully understand full scale aviation rules, regulations, and full scale aircraft performance limitations need to stay far away from such areas.
I totally agree with you Pat !;)

I contacted Yuneec and filled out the paper but they said the software wont be ready for around 2 weeks

i run an airport and teach people to fly for a living. Only class D,C,andB airports are in the NFZ. My airport is class G and I fly my TH everyday there.

Have you contacted yourself before flying at your airport? :D

Lol I have guys call 5 times a day to let me know they are flying there $25 drone in their yards. I just say thank you and be safe.

I have a question for those who are near an airport with a control tower. Have you started your T-H and noticed if you get red & white rapidly flashing lights? I live within 3 miles of our airport and so far, my LED lights do not flash red & white as mentioned in the v1.1 manual. I do plan to take my T-H down closer to the airport without the props installed and then start it to see if the lights do alert me or not.

Mojoe35

i contacted yuneec a few weeks ago and they say they would not have the software ready for a few weeks i contacted them yesterday and they still did not have it ready i guess i will just take it anyway and see if it starts up

Last weekend I was very close to SeaTac airport visiting my son. I tried the FAA "B4UFly" app, and it came up with a notice: "FLIGHT PROHIBITED" Do Not Fly your aircraft! You are in an area with flight restrictions! I didn't have my T-H with me and had no intentions to fly anyway. However, I still think the T-H can start the motors no matter how close we are to a 'no fly zone'.

The only way I have not been able to start the motors, was when I accidentally bumped the mode switch from Angle to RTH. I still want to test the system to see if it will flash red & white when to close to the airport.
Mojoe35

I took H to DFW airport. (I live 7 miles away), Tied it down in the back of my pickup and I noticed popped up on my screen a few seconds after I powered H up. ."Warning No Fly Zone...... And the motors would NOT start.

I took H to DFW airport. (I live 7 miles away), Tied it down in the back of my pickup and I noticed popped up on my screen a few seconds after I powered H up. ."Warning No Fly Zone...... And the motors would NOT start.

Are you saying the notice popped up on your ST16 screen? Also, did you notice if the main LED below the battery was flashing red & white rapidly or not?

My local airport is considered a Class D airport and I don't get any warning when I use B4UFly, except to notify them when you plan to fly. I'm only 3 miles from it. SeaTac Airport gives a more serious message warning NOT TO FLY when near it.
Mojoe35

I did not notice. Only had H a day or two so I had not taken the course on lights yet and I did not want to upset the local airport po po. so I hurried. My main goal was to see if motors would start and the screen was a bonus. . Here is picture./IMG_3551.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval