Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

how far

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I have the Typhoon h with the Intelrealsense. I got the no-fly-zone released and was wondering how far have you taken your drone. I've gone as far as 3000ft out at 45ft up and had no problems. I'm just curious the fartherest people have taken this bird. YUNEEC says it will go out as far as a mile and a half, but someone on YouTube says it will just go out 3\4 of a mile. What is the real distance.

Mr. I

The real answer is... there is no real answer... too many variables... area flown in, GPS satellites acquired, type of antenna used, K-index and weather that day, the electromagnetic forces that enable trees to pull aircraft into their black widow lair without mercy... :eek:

Short answer... too far is anytime you cannot get back and land safely.

Reactions: biltno
Ron... agreed... don't know if anyone has tried to obtain empirical evidence, but I'd bet with the performance of H batteries, those 2 figures are not far from each other... obviously too many variables to add to that mix, to put it to the test.

What's the distance you guys are experiencing ? I guess that's my question now.

The Theoretical distance depends on atmospheric conditions, and antennas you are using which could be several miles. 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz are very line of sight , and even a tree leaf could interfere with the signal on 5.8.
Actual distance depends on your eye sight. At 3000 feet, all you are going to be able to see is a small dot. You will not be able to tell orientation. You are also pushing the limits of being able to safely return to your area for a safe landing.
I personally have been out to 4000 feet at 150 feet altitude. My video kept dropping, and took my eyes off the aircraft to look at the controller and lost sight of it. Good thing for the RTH feature. Learned my lesson on that flight.
Now I stay usually no more than 1500 feet out. I can still see which way I am flying. Not really sure why people expect to be able to fly out miles and miles. These are professional hobby aircraft, not NASA budgeted drones. I would rather walk/drive to get closer to what I want to photograph than risk loosing my H on a long distance flight.

My old P2 I get about 600 yards
My Q-500 about 1100 feet
My mavic Pro I get 18000 feet then smart return to home kicks in for return battery power

Thanks, I was just curious what other people are getting. 4000ft is very far, I had once gone a total distance of 3800ft and I had to rely on what I could see on my remote. I didn't have any problems YUNEEC says it will go up to a mile and a half, out-of-the-box. Some people say it will only go up to 3/4 of a mile. I agree that If I was to fly 4000ft, I would just drive closer to whatever it was I'm trying to film.

Do not rely on advertised specs... when's the last time you got 25 minutes flight time out of a H battery?

Never. I've gotten 23 minutes. In a hover, flying no farther than 50ft from where I was standing.

Yesterday I flew 2400 ft away at 390ft altitude. Clear sky, open hills landscape. The aircraft was a mere dot. FPV and control never faltered. I was well with in the envelope, so it is possible to fly out of sight and into trouble if you care to.

Thanks @Roysky, I've gone out 3000ft at 45ft over water. It was a little nerve wracking.

Reactions: Rick Webb
Water adds to the pucker factor. I've been looking for floats, or a way to make them.

I have experimentally flown to 1.3 miles / 7900 feet at about 200 feet altitude using the stock antennas. This was over a residential area, so there would have been lots of 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz signals. I noticed some stuttering on the video feed a short time before the signal dropped out completely, and the TH turned around and headed home.

(Edited to correct distance based on Google Earth measurement)

Last edited:
I have flown out about 8600 feet at 400 feet altitude with the stock directional antenna and stock battery. All that distance over a congested residential/commercial area from the back of my house in the direction with the best line of sight.This is freakishly close to the 9500 feet @ 100 feet altitude I got out with the 4hawks extender when I was up 900 feet high on a mountain away from interference. The decision to turn around was based on battery voltage not poor reception so I may have been able to go further. That being said the distance is limited due to the battery. With a battery tray and 8,000 mah battery perhaps further distance could be achieved but right now I feel like the stock directional antenna is more than enough for distance flights. Does anyone have any info on battery tray setup and distance travelled?

I wish the 480 had the RTH feature that detects battery life and automatically brings it back. It is just piece of mind. Experience helps but too many things limit return distance on a battery. Close doesn’t really cut it, especially when 90% of the time obstacles are in flight path

If its so far out and you can barely see it whats the point? Other than testing the limits which can get you in trouble.

That’s true and I should have expressed more clearly what I mean. For example , your 12 minutes into a flight and you want to capture a photo but you need to fly several hundred feet further... and be able to not worry about getting back.

That’s true and I should have expressed more clearly what I mean. For example , your 12 minutes into a flight and you want to capture a photo but you need to fly several hundred feet further... and be able to not worry about getting back.
Most H pilots report a max flt time of 12.5 minutes. Landing at 14.5 volts. What do u get?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval