Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How much rebound is typical?

Reaction score
Had planned to fly a few days ago, so charged a battery the night before. But then stuff got in the way, so there it sat, fully charged. Was starting to worry so put it on my charger to discharge, but something was going on with my charger, I touched it after an hour or so and the screen just went blank. Check voltage, it was still at 16.6. Was able to make some time so decided to just fly it down. Just zipped around for awhile, didn't even bother with the camera. Brought her back down at 14.8, but as soon as I shut the motors down, it rebounded to 15.4 and climbing, so back up she went. Kept running it around until 1st. low battery alert, brought her down and came back inside. Pulled the battery to let it cool before doing a storage charge. When I checked it with my multi-meter, it had rebounded to 15.5 volts! I was flying in fairly cold temps (~38), but does this sound normal?

As I was typing this, I realized I had more info available. Put the battery back in, fired up the bird and controller, telemetry display says 15.2 volts. Telemetry record says I landed at 14.5. My meter still says 15.5, and as the meter is a Fluke, I'm inclined to trust it. Now that I think about it, a fully charged battery always shows about .3 volts lower than my meter, too, so I'm starting to think the voltage sensor in the bird is off a little bit. Anyone else seen the same thing, or am I just lucky :rolleyes:?

Another case where I really miss a programmable controller, when I was flying everything with a Taranis, I could actually program a battery voltage offset for this sort of thing. Of course, I could also program voltage alerts where I wanted them, just one more reason to wish Yuneec wasn't using a unique radio protocol. Too bad I'm not more of an electronics guy, it would be fun to try and hack in a different receiver. Later.

Dave

It’s called “load”. As soon as a battery is providing power to the system the voltage drops a few 10’s. Throttle up and it dips further. Land and leave the motors at idle and voltage rebounds a little due to decreased load. Stop the motors and voltage rebounds further, providing the uninitiated a false voltage reading. The voltage you care about is the voltage with the battery under maximum load.

Once the battery cools the voltage bounces up a little more because heat generated resistance has decreased but what had been consumed is gone and did not miraculously come back. As soon as the battery is subjected to a load and heats up again the voltage drops...fast. Those that don’t understand how batteries work can find their aircraft in a most precarious position shortly after launch when the battery poops out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stone