Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to check wi-fi

johnnyb57

Lost in Space
Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Is there a way on checking the signal strength, both the 2.4, and the 5.8 ? That would be without flying it so see when the signal drops ?

Don't laugh too hard, but here's an idea;
Depends on how far away you can travel and have a line of sight to the drone. Under ideal conditions, you could bind the drone, put it on a non-metal table, get someone to watch the LED, then drive away from it with the transmitter while changing the flight modes. As long as the flight mode switch changes the LED color, you have signal. It would probably be a pretty rough estimate of the range, and only valid for that one set of circumstances. But maybe good enough to give you some idea of the range.
Never actually tried it, but it SOUNDS like it might work. Maybe.

Standard range check is to do the same thing at about 90 feet. That will show up gross issues with the transmitter.

Some cell phones also tell you signal strength.

Don't laugh too hard, but here's an idea;
Depends on how far away you can travel and have a line of sight to the drone. Under ideal conditions, you could bind the drone, put it on a non-metal table, get someone to watch the LED, then drive away from it with the transmitter while changing the flight modes. As long as the flight mode switch changes the LED color, you have signal. It would probably be a pretty rough estimate of the range, and only valid for that one set of circumstances. But maybe good enough to give you some idea of the range.
Never actually tried it, but it SOUNDS like it might work. Maybe.

Standard range check is to do the same thing at about 90 feet. That will show up gross issues with the transmitter.

Some cell phones also tell you signal strength.
Sounds feezable (spelling?) Heres my issue with the 5.8 ? One of my pluses, with a dedicated controller doesnt loose the connection @ like 3400' thats as far as I've been with vlos, my other plus was loosing at all different distances and coming back, then loosing it again. I then switched to the other 16s, and it got better when I tested it in a field @ like 1980' so I believed it was a controller problem. Went to the ocean with it and the signal dropped at like 2200' ? So there's a difference somewhere, next I'm going to try my spare C23, but thought I'd ask before doing so.

I use a WiFi analyzer app on my phone to check the 5GHz WiFi hotspot from the camera.
CGO3P_WiFi.png

The 2.4GHz WiFi cannot be checked with a plain WiFi analyzer app. It is passive, only listen for your home WiFi net.

For the 2.4GHz RC connection (ZigBee) we have only the RSSI (signal strength indicator) values sent by the drone in the telemetry file. This is a good indicator for the RC connecion quality.

Additional. there is a hidden test menu to check the RC internal tranceiver. Up to now I did nothing with it - I can't say if and how it works.

br HE

Sounds feezable (spelling?) Heres my issue with the 5.8 ? One of my pluses, with a dedicated controller doesnt loose the connection @ like 3400' thats as far as I've been with vlos, my other plus was loosing at all different distances and coming back, then loosing it again. I then switched to the other 16s, and it got better when I tested it in a field @ like 1980' so I believed it was a controller problem. Went to the ocean with it and the signal dropped at like 2200' ? So there's a difference somewhere, next I'm going to try my spare C23, but thought I'd ask before doing so.
So while I was asking figured I'd check the 2.4

I use a WiFi analyzer app on my phone to check the 5GHz WiFi hotspot from the camera.
View attachment 23328

The 2.4GHz WiFi cannot be checked with a plain WiFi analyzer app. It is passive, only listen for your home WiFi net.

For the 2.4GHz RC connection (ZigBee) we have only the RSSI (signal strength indicator) values sent by the drone in the telemetry file. This is a good indicator for the RC connecion quality.

Additional. there is a hidden test menu to check the RC internal tranceiver. Up to now I did nothing with it - I can't say if and how it works.

br HE
Can you tell me more on this ?

On what? The analyzer? For Android it is in the Google Store. Simply search for wifi. I think there is a similar app available in Apple store.

-30bBm is very good, -90dBm is poor. Same measurement unit is seen in the telemetry for RSSI.

br HE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval