Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

how to dispose of yuneec battery?

Reaction score
hi- what is the best (and hopefully the simplest) way to dispose of my bulging battery? i am buying a GiFi 6400 replacement battery and seeing how it goes. thanks.

hi- what is the best (and hopefully the simplest) way to dispose of my bulging battery? i am buying a GiFi 6400 replacement battery and seeing how it goes. thanks.
pownalite, the information I was given was to soak the battery in a solution of 1tbls of salt for every 8oz of water (I used 32oz water) for 3-4 days...the battery could then go into household garbage

Just run it down until fully discharged, then short the mains together. Even better is to run it across a 200W heatsink (after you've fully discharged it) to help with the final dissipation, then you can turn it in to your local battery recycling center (well, at least here in Europe).

Last edited:
Must be sent/taken to your disposal company as hazardous waste, If you want to do it legally and properly!;)

Just run it down until fully discharged, then short the mains together. Even better is to run it across a 200W heatsink (after you've fully discharged it) to help with the final dissipation, then you can turn it in to your local battery recycling center (well, at least here in Europe).

you never want to short a LIPO battery out even if dead some batteries can regenerate and build up a small amount of voltage , you may just have a LIPO fire on your hands and they are nasty and hard to put out .a puffed LIPO is an accident just waiting to happen , all you have to do is bring the battery to home depot or best buy and drop them off , simple as that . chewman has the proper way to neutralize a LIPO battery ( exactly what i do ) and then you can dump them in the garbage , they are not a hazard to the environment . i also drop then off at home depot .

Reactions: Chewman
pownalite, the information I was given was to soak the battery in a solution of 1tbls of salt for every 8oz of water (I used 32oz water) for 3-4 days...the battery could then go into household garbage
I have done this method for years. I leave it in a bit longer though. I will see if my local big box will take them. They seem to be picky on what they take at my locations.

you never want to short a LIPO battery out even if dead some batteries can regenerate and build up a small amount of voltage , you may just have a LIPO fire on your hands and they are nasty and hard to put out .a puffed LIPO is an accident just waiting to happen , all you have to do is bring the battery to home depot or best buy and drop them off , simple as that . chewman has the proper way to neutralize a LIPO battery ( exactly what i do ) and then you can dump them in the garbage , they are not a hazard to the environment . i also drop then off at home depot .
Not true. You run it down until fully discharged, then and only then do you short it out. I personally discharge old LiPo's with two 200W resistors before finally shorting out the mains just to be sure. My reasoning for doing this is that I do NOT want to drop my old battery off to the recycling center with any charge left in the pack at all. This is the responsible thing to do IMHO.

Please don't lecture me about LiPos and their dangers. I've been handling them for years and know what I'm doing. Only fire I've ever had was when I went to recharge a LiPo that had been damaged in a crash the previous day. Because I monitor my charging station and also keep a large bucket half filled with sand handy, all I had to do was quickly disconnect the puffing and smoking battery, drop it in the bucket, cover it with sand and take it outside. Problem solved.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with shorting the mains together of a fully discharged LiPo, just to make sure. Once sure, you cut the leads off and cover the ends with electrical tape (if it makes you feel better). By the way, here in Europe throwing a battery in the garbage is totally unacceptable. Plus almost any hardware store or even supermarket has an area where you can drop your batteries. Nuff said.

Not true. You run it down until fully discharged, then and only then do you short it out. I personally discharge old LiPo's with two 200W resistors before finally shorting out the mains just to be sure. My reasoning for doing this is that I do NOT want to drop my old battery off to the recycling center with any charge left in the pack at all. This is the responsible thing to do IMHO.

Please don't lecture me about LiPos and their dangers. I've been handling them for years and know what I'm doing. Only fire I've ever had was when I went to recharge a LiPo that had been damaged in a crash the previous day. Because I monitor my charging station and also keep a large bucket half filled with sand handy, all I had to do was quickly disconnect the puffing and smoking battery, drop it in the bucket, cover it with sand and take it outside. Problem solved.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with shorting the mains together of a fully discharged LiPo, just to make sure. Once sure, you cut the leads off and cover the ends with electrical tape (if it makes you feel better). By the way, here in Europe throwing a battery in the garbage is totally unacceptable. Plus almost any hardware store or even supermarket has an area where you can drop your batteries. Nuff said.

john l
don't take offence and i'm not lecturing you or any one else but if as you stated " You run it down until fully discharged, then and only then do you short it out " if the battery is fully discharged why short it out at all . the salt water discharge is IMHO the way to go .
fly safe

Reactions: Chewman
Dumping into the trash is not an option since batteries can contain harmful metals and chemicals that can affect the environment.The best way is to have them recycled.You could give the battery to any nearby recycling center and they will take care of it.They usually begin the recycling process by first removing the combustible material like plastics and insulation.These are then left with clean metal cells with metal content.These cells are then chopped into smaller pieces and heated until the metal liquefies. Here is a blog from a disposal bin rental company called gorilla bins that offers some tips about how to efficiently manage e-waste

Dumping into the trash is not an option since batteries can contain harmful metals and chemicals that can affect the environment.The best way is to have them recycled.You could give the battery to any nearby recycling center and they will take care of it.They usually begin the recycling process by first removing the combustible material like plastics and insulation.These are then left with clean metal cells with metal content.These cells are then chopped into smaller pieces and heated until the metal liquefies. Here is a blog from a disposal bin rental company called gorilla bins that offers some tips about how to efficiently manage e-waste

Once the Lipo has gone through the salt water bath and there is NO CHARGE left in the battery it is perfectly safe to throw into your household garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: NRRTRAINS
You really need to do some research on Lipo battery disposal. You know nothing about it from your post. Once the Lipo has gone through the salt water bath and there is NO CHARGE left in the battery it is perfectly safe to throw into your household garbage....and that is a fact. Do your research before posting B.S
Why throw it into the garbage when the materials can be recycled??

From what I have read there is nothing inside a lipo battery of value to be recycled but this is just what I have read so I could be wrong.

1. Discharge the LiPo battery as far down as you safely can. You can do this a number of ways. Most computerized LiPo chargers have a discharge feature in them. If you don't have a charger with a discharge feature, you can run down the battery in your vehicle - keep in mind that you risk a fire and potentially damaging your vehicle doing this, so take care to have the necessary safety equipment around. Alternatively, you can build your own discharge rig with a taillight bulb and some wire. Simply solder a male connector of your choosing to the tabs on a taillight bulb, and plug the battery in. Make sure to have the battery in a fireproof container while doing this.
  2. Place the LiPo in a salt water bath. Mix table salt into some warm (not hot) water. Keep adding salt until it will no longer dissolve in the water. Ensure that the wires are all entirely submerged. The salt water is very conductive, and it will essentially short out the battery, further discharging it. Leave the battery in the salt water bath for at least 24 hours.
  3. Check the voltage of the LiPo. If the voltage of the battery is 0.0V, great! Move onto the next step. Otherwise, put it back in the salt water bath for another 24 hours. Continue doing this until the battery reaches 0.0V.
  4. Dispose of the battery in the trash. That's right - unlike NiMH and NiCd batteries, LiPos are not hazardous to the environment. They can be thrown in the garbage with no problem.

Last edited:
you are correct if you have a recycle center near you . i take all my ni cad and NMh batteries to a recycle center only because i have so many recycle centers close to where i live , but if you don't LIPO's can go out in the trash . once discharged in a salt bath for a couple of days there is no danger or contamination to the environment or risk of a fire . just remember when you bring that puffed LIPO battery to the recycle center make sure it dicharged ,you would not want a fire in the recycle bin . feel free to do as you chose and have no regrets .

you are correct if you have a recycle center near you . i take all my ni cad and NMh batteries to a recycle center only because i have so many recycle centers close to where i live , but if you don't LIPO's can go out in the trash . once discharged in a salt bath for a couple of days there is no danger or contamination to the environment or risk of a fire . just remember when you bring that puffed LIPO battery to the recycle center make sure it dicharged ,you would not want a fire in the recycle bin . feel free to do as you chose and have no regrets .
You and @KBflyer must be from the U.S. Here in (Western) Europe recycling is not only mandatory but easy as well. Almost any supermarket or hardware store has an area to dispose of batteries, light bulbs, even used (small scale) electronics. And that's the way it should be.

Throwing plastic in the garbage is not right. Neither is throwing something away that contains copper, aluminum, trace amounts of lead (unless lead free solder was used), etc. I remind you that the Yuneec battery (just like the lamers at DJI) is freakin encased in a plastic shell. Ok to throw that in the garbage too?

I'll get off the high horse now. I guess if recycling is made easy for the public then they will by and large recycle. AFAICT recycling is NOT mandatory where you live, so you choose not to do so either because of the sheer inconvenience or worse, it just doesn't matter. Lamentable to say the least.

You and @KBflyer must be from the U.S. Here in (Western) Europe recycling is not only mandatory but easy as well. Almost any supermarket or hardware store has an area to dispose of batteries, light bulbs, even used (small scale) electronics. And that's the way it should be.

Throwing plastic in the garbage is not right. Neither is throwing something away that contains copper, aluminum, trace amounts of lead (unless lead free solder was used), etc. I remind you that the Yuneec battery (just like the lamers at DJI) is freakin encased in a plastic shell. Ok to throw that in the garbage too?

I'll get off the high horse now. I guess if recycling is made easy for the public then they will by and large recycle. AFAICT recycling is NOT mandatory where you live, so you choose not to do so either because of the sheer inconvenience or worse, it just doesn't matter. Lamentable to say the least.

here in New York (USA ) it is mandatory we recycle every week , three separate garbage can's one for paper products , one for metal and plastics and one for regular garbage , the city also has a site that you can bring old auto batteries and old electronics and paint used paint cans , i'm sure it's like that all across the USA ,don't think you are are alone about recycling . what we are saying is that it is OK to discharge a LIPO battery and dispose of the battery in the trash , common sense will tell you to bring the battery to a recycle center but not all people have this luxury some live in rural area's where the store or recycle center could be 100 miles away . this is the last reply i will post .

Last edited:
I live in the bush. No recycling depot in 50 miles of where I live. No pesky neighbours or anyone else to bother me :)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NRRTRAINS
And no I live in northern Ontario Canada

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval