Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I crashed my typhoon G .

Reaction score
i crashed my Typhoon G. I have not had it but a couple of weeks. Do I have to buy another typhoon G or can it be fixed

If the frame is cracked just glue it with JB Weld Epoxy. That is what I did .

You can buy a new air frame and move all the parts into it.
But this takes 6 hours for me and you have to solder.

If a motor is broken off - Epoxy it back on.
Frame cracked - Epoxy it.
My motto is I will crash again.

I just crashed today my 6th crash.

I put on a bunch of videos of how I repaired mine. But
I would now rather epoxy it then ever take it apart again

Not judging; 6 crashes?

Curious as to what happened in each of those if you care to share.. If not, cool.

If the frame is cracked just glue it with JB Weld Epoxy. That is what I did .

You can buy a new air frame and move all the parts into it.
But this takes 6 hours for me and you have to solder.

If a motor is broken off - Epoxy it back on.
Frame cracked - Epoxy it.
My motto is I will crash again.

I just crashed today my 6th crash.

I put on a bunch of videos of how I repaired mine. But
I would now rather epoxy it then ever take it apart again

Hi All,
You can get a body from CarolinaDronz or Multicopterwarehouse or from Yuneec itself.
I have had good luck with Carolinadronz and multicopterwarehouse for fast shipping.

Sure I can share the crashes if I can remember them all.

Well when I got this drone from my buddy - he had sent it to me with a motor broken off as he crashed it into his house. It was so expensive to get it fixed that he just sent me this one. I had never seen one of these and I had no idea even how to fly a good one let alone a broken one.

So first thing I did was use a clothes hanger to wire on the broken motor and see if it would even fly. And it did. And it landed in a patch of grass and broke the props.

But I am not even counting that as a crash and I had the frame all apart so it was flying with the internals exposed.

I finally got a new body for it and got it back together. This is body #1

I took it to an office park and took it off GPS and was horsing around with it going side to side.

Crash #1: Horsing around with it in an office park no GPS. Hits pine tree and falls 30 feet. I think I broke off a motor again and was astounded. I had those nice fiber glass props on it and those never broke. I put on the fiber glass unbreakable props that Carolinadrones was selling. They pulled those props due to threading problems on to the motors.

I think after crash #1 I bought body #2 or airframe #2 and made all those videos and put all the parts into airframe #2

Crash #2: Same office park - maybe even the same tree. Horsing around again no GPS in angle mode. I think I hit the same tree. It tumbled down and did not break off a motor but cracked the frame. It fell 30 feet.

Crash #3: I was showing off in the same office park in angle mode and hit again a pine tree. It dropped 30 feet. I think that crash I wrecked the landing strut and may have cracked off a motor - but back a ways. Used JB Weld Epoxy. I think it ejected the battery too and broke the battery door latch.

Crash #4 - I forget what happened. Either crash #3 or 4 involved smart mode where as I was in smart mode and approached the quad and it backed away from me into a tree. I was not experienced enough yet. Same office park I think.

So then I never went back into the office park.

I flew it from a county park and made some good test flights.
I flew it in Campbell California and almost hit a water tower which I was trying to get close to for the visual effect.
I flew it near my favorite coffee shop.
I flew it over a local ***.
I flew it over a water temple
I flew it over Apple Campus 2

All with out incident.
So I was getting confident and cocky.

Crash #5: I was flying it in front of some stores on a narrow road in a populated down. One seconds into the flight it was acting wonky and it got into the roadway.At the 3rd second It was 3 feet off of the road and a car hit the Typhoon G. The bill to fix the car was $1,100 paid to the body shop directly. The Typhoon G needed more JB Weld to new cracks in the air frame and some old cracks came loose. This crash made me question why I was flying this drone. I think I like the video result. So I keep flying.

Crash #6 is the subject of this posting - South lake Tahoe rapid decent. Only damage this time is two broken props. And a foam came out of the landing strut but I just pushed it back in. I think that I will be OK with new props. I am still in Tahoe. I have no props. The Typhoon is still in the car and that's ok. If I had props it might fly OK.

I think that the newer quads need a lot more intelligence and sensors.
I guess the "other" company has a lot of this in their latest product.

Still believe for $499 and a Hero 4 this is quite a nice platform.
I fly it mostly for the fun of just flying it and trying to take a good video.

Unfortunately if you make a mistake it is usually harmful to the quad and what is below.
I have been very lucky to date I feel.

I don't think I will fly it in towns now - but actually that is where the great video comes from.

I want to fly it over a swift running stream near Truckee soon.

If you don't want to crash:

1) Never fly in wind.
2) Never disable GPS.
3) Never stand close to the Typhoon G in smart mode.
4) Never land completely in Home mode. Once it arrives overhead go into Angle mode and come down by going from side to side or in a slope decent.
5) Never wait for the controller to shake for low battery - come back at 10.5 or more volts.
6) Fly from a wide open field with no trees and that way you can land it even if there are problems.
7) Fly it over grass - if it lands badly - you may have a cushion.
8 When landing it - try to hover and catch an landing strut and then turn off the power and props without getting the props near you. Credits for this are for an irish girl on youtube who demoed this.

Actually, I had a few crashes when landing too whereas the copter would tip and break the props in the grass every time.

Look up drone girl in ireland. She shows how to land it.

If you don't want to crash:

1) Never fly in wind.
2) Never disable GPS.
3) Never stand close to the Typhoon G in smart mode.
4) Never land completely in Home mode. Once it arrives overhead go into Angle mode and come down by going from side to side or in a slope decent.
5) Never wait for the controller to shake for low battery - come back at 10.5 or more volts.
6) Fly from a wide open field with no trees and that way you can land it even if there are problems.
7) Fly it over grass - if it lands badly - you may have a cushion.
8 When landing it - try to hover and catch an landing strut and then turn off the power and props without getting the props near you. Credits for this are for an irish girl on youtube who demoed this.

Actually, I had a few crashes when landing too whereas the copter would tip and break the props in the grass every time.

Look up drone girl in ireland. She shows how to land it.

Thanks for the tips. You're a good fellow, FlashCrash -- and you seem like a lot of fun!

Hi All,
You can get a body from CarolinaDronz or Multicopterwarehouse or from Yuneec itself.
I have had good luck with Carolinadronz and multicopterwarehouse for fast shipping.

Sure I can share the crashes if I can remember them all.

Well when I got this drone from my buddy - he had sent it to me with a motor broken off as he crashed it into his house. It was so expensive to get it fixed that he just sent me this one. I had never seen one of these and I had no idea even how to fly a good one let alone a broken one.

So first thing I did was use a clothes hanger to wire on the broken motor and see if it would even fly. And it did. And it landed in a patch of grass and broke the props.

But I am not even counting that as a crash and I had the frame all apart so it was flying with the internals exposed.

I finally got a new body for it and got it back together. This is body #1

I took it to an office park and took it off GPS and was horsing around with it going side to side.

Crash #1: Horsing around with it in an office park no GPS. Hits pine tree and falls 30 feet. I think I broke off a motor again and was astounded. I had those nice fiber glass props on it and those never broke. I put on the fiber glass unbreakable props that Carolinadrones was selling. They pulled those props due to threading problems on to the motors.

I think after crash #1 I bought body #2 or airframe #2 and made all those videos and put all the parts into airframe #2

Crash #2: Same office park - maybe even the same tree. Horsing around again no GPS in angle mode. I think I hit the same tree. It tumbled down and did not break off a motor but cracked the frame. It fell 30 feet.

Crash #3: I was showing off in the same office park in angle mode and hit again a pine tree. It dropped 30 feet. I think that crash I wrecked the landing strut and may have cracked off a motor - but back a ways. Used JB Weld Epoxy. I think it ejected the battery too and broke the battery door latch.

Crash #4 - I forget what happened. Either crash #3 or 4 involved smart mode where as I was in smart mode and approached the quad and it backed away from me into a tree. I was not experienced enough yet. Same office park I think.

So then I never went back into the office park.

I flew it from a county park and made some good test flights.
I flew it in Campbell California and almost hit a water tower which I was trying to get close to for the visual effect.
I flew it near my favorite coffee shop.
I flew it over a local ***.
I flew it over a water temple
I flew it over Apple Campus 2

All with out incident.
So I was getting confident and cocky.

Crash #5: I was flying it in front of some stores on a narrow road in a populated down. One seconds into the flight it was acting wonky and it got into the roadway.At the 3rd second It was 3 feet off of the road and a car hit the Typhoon G. The bill to fix the car was $1,100 paid to the body shop directly. The Typhoon G needed more JB Weld to new cracks in the air frame and some old cracks came loose. This crash made me question why I was flying this drone. I think I like the video result. So I keep flying.

Crash #6 is the subject of this posting - South lake Tahoe rapid decent. Only damage this time is two broken props. And a foam came out of the landing strut but I just pushed it back in. I think that I will be OK with new props. I am still in Tahoe. I have no props. The Typhoon is still in the car and that's ok. If I had props it might fly OK.

I think that the newer quads need a lot more intelligence and sensors.
I guess the "other" company has a lot of this in their latest product.

Still believe for $499 and a Hero 4 this is quite a nice platform.
I fly it mostly for the fun of just flying it and trying to take a good video.

Unfortunately if you make a mistake it is usually harmful to the quad and what is below.
I have been very lucky to date I feel.

I don't think I will fly it in towns now - but actually that is where the great video comes from.

I want to fly it over a swift running stream near Truckee soon.

They pulled those props due to threading problems on to the motors.

HI, I was trying to figure out how to pm you this question, but I could not find how to do it..So my apologies to the rest of the community for the post.
"They pulled those props due to threading problems on to the motors." I'm curious in that I could not remove one of those props from my motor.(vice grips and claw wrenches could not) The end result involved a cutting wheel, switch back to stock props and J.B. Weld employed to secure the stock prop to the...duh..."modified shaft" of the motor visited by the cutting wheel...

My gosh. That is a threading problem.
I would think that the motor is toast after all that cutting.
Well those props don't break when you crash. I went thru 5 crashes before I damaged one of those props.

So 5 crashes times about $38 US dollars - those props paid for themselves many times over for me.

I am sorry your props got stuck on.

I never take them off.
I just test that they are tight every few flights.

I just figured the props do not go down far enough and come off in flight causing a crash.
I was hearing they are bad on the new black motors.

I still have the old silver motors.

I have three of those props and the 4th was damaged and it threw it out.

Correct prop tightness seems to be a rather widespread problem, involving either too much tightening or not enough.

I'm not a mechanic but when I was in the military I recall seeing a mechanic use what I believe is called a torque wrench to tighten bolts that secured parts of a mobile weapon. This wrench had a dial on it with a pointer that moved as he tightened each bolt. When the pointer reached a specific number he knew the bolt had reached the precisely correct tightness.

Is there a miniature version of such a wrench available that could be used to tighten copter props? If not, I believe if such a tool could be made available at a reasonable cost it would be a very popular accessory with drone hobbyists because it would put an end to the prop tightness problem.

I don't believe prop tightness is really a big problem. I think its more of the "vocal minority" versus the silent majority. No one posts; "I had no issues with my props today" but rather posts when a prop does fall off. Its usually under-tightening rather than over tightening. I too was a bit anxious about how tight was tight enough when I first got my Q500. I couldn't do the the 1.5 turns (as stated in the manual) once contact was made with the O-ring, more like 3/4 turn. I felt that was enough. And it has been. I don't even worry about it anymore, I just make sure they are "tight".

I think your idea would be helpful for some. But IMO, consider props like a car oil filter. Most DIY people such as myself don't use a torque wrench when installing one; Just hand tighten.

Correct prop tightness seems to be a rather widespread problem, involving either too much tightening or not enough.

I'm not a mechanic but when I was in the military I recall seeing a mechanic use what I believe is called a torque wrench to tighten bolts that secured parts of a mobile weapon. This wrench had a dial on it with a pointer that moved as he tightened each bolt. When the pointer reached a specific number he knew the bolt had reached the precisely correct tightness.

Is there a miniature version of such a wrench available that could be used to tighten copter props? If not, I believe if such a tool could be made available at a reasonable cost it would be a very popular accessory with drone hobbyists because it would put an end to the prop tightness problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop