Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Image quality - something stupid to say but I say it :)

Reaction score
You will find it probably stupid but do you know the quality of the video depends also of the quality of the screen where you watch the video?

It's seems stupid to write it but I just recently discover that. I use a laptop 4-5 years old (screen 720p) and the quality is not good at all. On a quite new Samsung tab 7 the quality is much better, also on a new laptop with a 1080p screen. I was a little bit disappointed of the results of the cgo3+ and after the check of the quality of the screen it's much better!

Sorry for the inconvience for the reader that knows that for a long time! And for me I have now to buy a new laptop for post production...

Reactions: Rayray
You will find it probably stupid but do you know the quality of the video depends also of the quality of the screen where you watch the video?

It's seems stupid to write it but I just recently discover that. I use a laptop 4-5 years old (screen 720p) and the quality is not good at all. On a quite new Samsung tab 7 the quality is much better, also on a new laptop with a 1080p screen. I was a little bit disappointed of the results of the cgo3+ and after the check of the quality of the screen it's much better!

Sorry for the inconvience for the reader that knows that for a long time! And for me I have now to buy a new laptop for post production...
There is much truth to what you have said. I have viewed well over a hundred videos shot with the H with stock lens AND now with the replacement 3.97MM lens. Those videos I have viewed shot in 4K with the replacement lens on a 4K monitor are not great at all. The videos are either sharp in the middle of the frame,then become soft towards the edges or the center of the frame is soft and the edges of the frame are sharper. Meaning the 3.97MM lens is not capabable of hold a holding a sharp image across the entirety of the frame.

There is much truth to what you have said. I have viewed well over a hundred videos shot with the H with stock lens AND now with the replacement 3.97MM lens. Those videos I have viewed shot in 4K with the replacement lens on a 4K monitor are not great at all. The videos are either sharp in the middle of the frame,then become soft towards the edges or the center of the frame is soft and the edges of the frame are sharper. Meaning the 3.97MM lens is not capabable of hold a holding a sharp image across the entirety of the frame.

Wish there would be more after market lens options for the H

Reactions: Burntpixel
Wish there would be more after market lens options for the H
I beleive several end users are exploring the 5.4MM M12 mount lens. Great images made with a quailty 5.4MM on GoPro Hero 4 Black cameras. At this time,the available 5.4MM lenses will not focus properly due to the shallow depth on the existing M12 mount on the H camera. A longer mount is available and I would imagine we will see people going this route in the very near future. :)

I have the original lens and for the life of me I cannot see the soft edges people are talking about. Maybe I am lucky to have gotten a good copy or my eyesight is failing.
The vast majority of people looking at the footage could not find fault.
I would safely say even for professional use there would be few complaints from customers regarding mage quality if camera settings are optimised.
I found a huge difference by using manual mode even without the ND filters.
For a whole setup for the price, its incredible.

I don't understand why you write about the lens of the cgo3+, standard one or the 3.97mm. My post treat about the quality of the screen used to watch the image : the screen of the laptop or the tab or smartphone.

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
Yes Charliehorse. If someone is able to give good practice of using the settings of the cgo3+ it would be great!

I have being look at different lenses too, one thing that keeps coming up is some lenses of the same length have slightly different back focal distances.

Does anyone know what the factory lens back focal distance is?

I don't understand why you write about the lens of the cgo3+, standard one or the 3.97mm. My post treat about the quality of the screen used to watch the image : the screen of the laptop or the tab or smartphone.
I agreed with what your were stating in regard to watching content on a proper 4K monitor in order to properly evaluate true quaility of the image.

I expanded on that train of thought as I do in fact watch available H 4K content be it with the stock lens or 3.97MM aftermarket lens on a high res 4K monitor. Viewing said content reveals the true nature of the imagery.

I have the original lens and for the life of me I cannot see the soft edges people are talking about. Maybe I am lucky to have gotten a good copy or my eyesight is failing.
I would safely say even for professional use there would be few complaints from customers regarding mage quality if camera settings are optimised.
I've had 3 cameras. 1st was perfect like yours from corner to corner except there was a sensor glitch and strange artifacts appeared on the video.

2nd camera was sharp on right side and slightly blurry on left. Blur in such cases is caused when the lens is not seated correctly.

3rd camera is the typical sharp in the center and less sharp around the edges due to the design of the lens.

It almost seems like the early pre-ordered batch of Typhoons had a slightly different lens, or better production/quality control.

Yes, Renaud, I agree.

Very often the quality depends largely on what you are playing it back on.

Besides, it sounds a perfect excuse to go out and buy a new laptop/tablet with at least the i7 processor :)

Reactions: Markinter
If a picture is sharp and clear when taken up close, can it be assumed it's simply a focus issue when blurry from a distance?

No problem! try it on a 4K Samsung 65 " TV and it gets even better ! Wow ! :rolleyes:

Just like mine!

FXXX we are using intel i7 computer, the picture still lousy, we are not stupid

Last edited:
The thing about that is the monitor will be equally bad no matter what the source footage, so even with an average monitor you will be able to see a difference between good and bad cameras. If you have a well known brand phone or tablet from the last 2-3 years you will actually have a very good to excellent display to view video quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval