Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is Compass Calibration helpful indoors?

Reaction score
I am assuming that you don't do compass calibration indoors. Is that correct? Thanks for help.

Correct. You want to do a compass calibration outside well away from any potential metal or electromagnetic sources. Start facing magnetic north for maximum accuracy. Perform the procedure smoothly in under a minute.

It is not necessary to perform every time you fly, only if you move a significant distance from where you last flew. In general, unneeded if you are within 50-75 miles from your last location. Since it is relative to magnetic north, your north/south travel is less relevant than your east/west travel. but as this map shows that is less true in the northeast and northwest of the US. Of course the only map relevant is the one of the location of the reader.

2015-Declination-Maps-W1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that response Eagle’s Eye. So is the compass integral to the GPS or a separate element in the electronics?

I do not have a Breeze, so I am not sure on that, in regards to that model... to my knowledge, on the Typhoon H, they are separate modules.

Do you know this ‘for sure’, “Start facing magnetic north for maximum accuracy. Perform the procedure smoothly in under a minute.” I only ask because I did not pay any attention when I did my compass calibration. I’ll redo it later today just in case, it wanted to ask if it really makes a difference the direction you face.

My knowledge is based on the specifics of the Typhoon H, which I own. Your mileage may vary.

As far as the calibration procedure (at least on the H), the calibration will not complete successfully, if it is not completed in about a minute. That certainly could be different for the Breeze.

As far as facing North, from what I have read on this board the accuracy of the calibration will be affected by what direction you are facing... which only makes sense, since the calibration is creating a baseline to establish the direction of magnetic North, in relation to the aircraft. It would not make sense for that to not be true, irrelevant of the model... the physics of that established baseline will not change, due to your hardware choice.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy