Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is my H520 grounded (again)? Landing gear won't lower for landing

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for help and advice! Would appreciate your comments and tips.

Here there is my story: I had flown 4 batteries today without any problem: taking off and landing were smooth and nice each time and especially the later ones never were hard. I put the 5th battery flew the bird yet again without any problem and finally set off to land very last time. To my great supprise one of the landing gears (legs) did not lower. I would play with the landing switch 2 or 3 times without any help - the leg would stay at its upper position. I thought that the only option left would be to perform a hand-landing. So I would lower the thing so I could reach out for it with my hand and then would press red button on ST16S to disarm the engines. All for vain. The button would not turn the engines off.

I hope you can imagine how desperate situation I was in - one leg down the other up. How to land safely for h520 and its camera?

Fortunately as lucky as I was after giving it another few tries the leg, step by step, went finally down.

After landing the bird I would notice that the leg in question was not stiff at its lower position as the other one. It has a little degree of slack.

I tried to see whether the problem would persist so after taking props off I pressed the red switch on, the engines started to spin and the gear was not working. Unfortunately h520 didn't turn off neither in response to the red button nor the drone power switch. Had to lift it a bit from the ground and sit back to get the engines stop.

So now I would appreciate your comments and advice on:
  • what to do - send the h520 to the nearest Yuneec service which is Germany? Or ...?
  • how to safely land the bird when the engines don't respond (stop) to the red on/off switch on st16s? Is there any other option to hand-land when sth goes wrong? I can't recall manual would give any instructions on this.
  • is it normal that the red button fails to switch the engines off when the drone is say 2 m ATO? Will it turn the engines off at all when the drone is airborne at low altitude?
  • is it normal that the engines start without props on? I believe I read somewhere that they don't, but I might be wrong.
P.S. - h520 is brand new - I have it since June this year and bought it from Yuneec dealer.

Has it happend to anybody, have you heard of such/similar situation before?

Looking forward to hearing your comments,

Pawel

I am sure it still under warranty. Send-it back because your landing gear needs a replacement of this part like the one in the picture. About the ST16S maybe you need to recalibrate it again. When you go on the RC monitor on your controller and press the red button is there any delay or it's switched normal?
The motors should not start without propellers

Attachments

• 20190902_163208_HDR.jpg
    20190902_163208_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Dear Georgero,

Many thanks for your reply. It indeed is still covered by warranty.

I will send it for repair then. Sth. mechanical is wrong, pls. see the picture I am attaching to see that the drone is not standing straight bending on one leg. Most likely it's the piece you sent picture of. 2019-09-02 22.50.45.jpg

I will look up the controller later and let you know.

Many thanks.
Pawel

Dear Georgero,

Many thanks for your reply. It indeed is still covered by warranty.

I will send it for repair then. Sth. mechanical is wrong, pls. see the picture I am attaching to see that the drone is not standing straight bending on one leg. Most likely it's the piece you sent picture of. View attachment 18293

I will look up the controller later and let you know.

Many thanks.
Pawel

Yes, that is because that part I showed to you is broken inside. It is a common problem no worries they will fix-it.

When you send the drone for repair ask them to do a reset for the ST16 as well and check everything before they send -it back to you. Some times they do the repair and do not check or fly the drone to be sure everything is good and people end up to send their drone again for fixes.

I would play with the landing switch 2 or 3 times without any help - the leg would stay at its upper position.

I noticed with a procedure for manual binding that I did a few months ago that a landing gear that went up during binding could not be lowered with a corresponding switch on ST16S because the state of the gear did not reflect the switch position for the gear on ST16S. It looks like a bug that could only be fixed by turning the craft off, set the switch to up(if the gear is actually retracted) and then power the craft again.

Not saying you have the same problem but it is worth to try.

Hi,

Thanks for comment.
My problem was finally solved by Yuneec service. I do not really know what caused one of the legs had not lowered but fortunately everything appears to work fine now. Based on comments I heard the problem was due to servo mechanism.

I will keep your advice in mind for the future in case something happens to the landing gear. Yet I hope nothing happens.
Regards from Poland,
Pawel

@Paw ,

When you were attempting shut down via S1 (Big Red), did you hold it in for at least three seconds? That is the normal motor disarming with all of the H series from Yuneec. It helps prevent accidental shutdown while flying if S1 is pressed momentarily.

@Paw ,

When you were attempting shut down via S1 (Big Red), did you hold it in for at least three seconds? That is the normal motor disarming with all of the H series from Yuneec. It helps prevent accidental shutdown while flying if S1 is pressed momentarily.
HI,
I guess I did not. I believe I pressed it but did not hold.
How about left stick - would it shut the 520 down in the air (hand landing) when pressed down as when landing normally?

Regards,
Pawel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval