Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is the Typhoon H Plus worth the upgrade?

Actually, when you are surveying large tracts of land using automated drone mapping software such as Pix4D, you absolutely have to fly BVLOS. There is just no other way to do it unless you have some other method that I'm not aware of.

So, basically, you must operate illegally, is that correct? Unless of course you have a BVLOS waiver.

Yes, they are over $6K but I've found quite a few on ebay with very low miles for under $4K used. One just sold today like new for $3,900 with x5s and 3 different lenses in addition to the standard 15mm, including a 14-42mm zoom. The lenses alone probably set the guy back an additional $1K+.

That's the good thing about these "toys". Lots of people willingly throw down thousands and have no clue the types of restrictions drones have in the aviation world so they end up selling them with only a few hours of flight time.

I ended up picking up an Inspire 2 with x4s and less than 3 hours of flight time for $2,200. I can eventually upgrade to the x5s when I find someone desperately wanting to upgrade to the x7.

I have an i2 with x5s with an Iowa lens that I’ve flown twice, since I’m trying to let my i2 fly until it dies, but I am having a buyers remorse, with my i2, because I have not found and fitted the drone to a project that it can pay for itself, what’s worst. And you’re right, the i2 are beginning to show up more frequently on EBay and Craigslist.

So, basically, you must operate illegally, is that correct? Unless of course you have a BVLOS waiver.

Do the math. Say you want to survey a 50 acre completely square tract of land. One acre is 208' x 208'. A 50 acre square parcel is going to be about 1,500' in length and width. 1,500' is pretty much BVLOS in most conditions.

As stated, waiver has been applied for and waiting approval.

It’s quite different in our arena. Mapping an area, let just say 50 acres, which is small, and the only way to achieve 70% overlap is by flying 300ft alt or 200ft alt. at times the drone gets small. This is why we rely on drones that has successfully mapped numerous successful missions, and having good insurance.

A waiver is good, but the ones who bids on docs. Will find applying for a waiver is time consuming, the project is now and the materials are needed today.

One way to tackle this is my having a VO located strategically on the other side of the field or furthest point of the GCP.

Reactions: nabbott.us
I said nothing about the math. I simply observed that to fly BVLOS you are either operating illegally unless you have a waiver. And I did not see where you stated you had applied for a waiver before post #83. If I missed it , I apologize.

Sorry, just re-read your earlier post. Good luck with the waiver!!

Reactions: nabbott.us
Do the math. Say you want to survey a 50 acre completely square tract of land. One acre is 208' x 208'. A 50 acre square parcel is going to be about 1,500' in length and width. 1,500' is pretty much BVLOS in most conditions.

As stated, waiver has been applied for and waiting approval.

You are absolutely correct, and any mapper will confess not to the FAA only to a priest, concerning BVLOS.

It’s quite different in our arena. Mapping an area, let just say 50 acres, which is small, and the only way to achieve 70% overlap is by flying 300ft alt or 200ft alt. at times the drone gets small. This is why we rely on drones that has successfully mapped numerous successful missions, and having good insurance.

A waiver is good, but the ones who bids on docs. Will find applying for a waiver is time consuming, the project is now and the materials are needed today.

One way to tackle this is my having a VO located strategically on the other side of the field or furthest point of the GCP.

Exactly. This is why I'm sure we are going to be seeing significant changes to the industry over the next couple of years with respect to how all of the systems interact with each other (ATC, authorizations, waivers, etc.)

No doubt it will evolve, just like the over people and night flights without waivers. I guess I'm the village idiot for thinking people actually follow the rules.

No doubt it will evolve, just like the over people and night flights without waivers. I guess I'm the village idiot for thinking people actually follow the rules.

I lost faith in people following the rules about two months ago when I started doing research on all these guys working for Realtors selling pictures. At least 50% of them are not 107 certified and now the business model in that arena works by offering "free" aerials with purchase of interior photo packages. All of this for $150. Not to mention the Realtors who take it upon themselves to take their own pictures thinking its just a toy.

That part of the industry is the worst...which is why I have evolved (quickly) to working on higher level stuff. Sadly, one of those idiots are going to get people killed and then FAA will start grounding all drones unless specifically authorized for commercial use by them.

Exactly. This is why I'm sure we are going to be seeing significant changes to the industry over the next couple of years with respect to how all of the systems interact with each other (ATC, authorizations, waivers, etc.)

We will, and we are stating to feel that now. I will be following a new 312 acres of mix dwelling and businesses build. My developer can easily get and granted a waiver. I am flying on that waiver now. This year, and on this particular new location, the airspace ceiling allowed is 180ft this will make my grid patterns really close and tight to achieve 70% overlap...

The PAIN, but it’s a good challenge. I have been mapping using 1 to 4 batteries. Now, I will be needing 12 more new batteries or drone plane just to cover this field.

Nah, you’re good. And it’s actually good that BVLOS is being brought up.

We will, and we are stating to feel that now. I will be following a new 312 acres of mix dwelling and businesses build. My developer can easily get and granted a waiver. I am flying on that waiver now. This year, and on this particular new location, the airspace ceiling allowed is 180ft this will make my grid patterns really close and tight to achieve 70% overlap...

The PAIN, but it’s a good challenge. I have been mapping using 1 to 4 batteries. Now, I will be needing 12 more new batteries or drone plane just to cover this field.

What kind of bird are you using for this job? After doing research on the H520, it looks like it's lacking in mapping functionality to compete with the big boys of the industry. I know I've read it has trouble with the Pix4D platform.

What kind of bird are you using for this job? After doing research on the H520, it looks like it's lacking in mapping functionality to compete with the big boys of the industry. I know I've read it has trouble with the Pix4D platform.

My mappers are P4P and Mavic 2 (before I was using the MP) running on DJI GS Pro. and manually map through ReCap Pro.

I2-X5s version is indeed about $6k. Both the X5 and X5s have a dynamic range of about 12 stops but I don’t know that is has adjustable stops. The dynamic range is similar with the latest Autel platform.

To buy an I2 X7 bundle will set you back over $20k.

It absolutely has adjustable stops. That's the hook for using that camera. It allows you to shoot wide open if needed but to capture more depth of field, you can close it down to higher apertures like f8 or f11. That's a huge difference than shooting wide open all the time and just adjusting ISO or SS. Since photography is all about using your exposure triangle, having that third piece is huge. Play around with a DSLR and you'll see how useful it is to have that level of control in photography.

And going back to my original point, this drone is being advertised as a professional photography drone and carries a pretty hefty price tag for not even allowing the kind of flexibility a camera needs to be of professional grade. Even DJI's P4P (a worthy comparison drone) has aperture control and is a few hundred less, albeit it's a quad not a hex - which most professionals don't care too much about as long as it gets the job done and is reliable.

My thought is Yuneec spent way too much time developing bells and whistles like the ST16 instead of focusing on the things that are truly going to set them apart from the rest. The ST16 is a nice controller in theory but to be honest, it isn't all that intuitive and is more bulky than anything else. I'd much prefer more reliability and more intuitive controlling of the aircraft than an all-in-one beast of a ground station that doesn't make any sense sometimes (case in point: camera pitch and rate sliders...fingers don't naturally move that direction while also trying to maneuver the drone).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech