Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is the Typhoon H Plus worth the upgrade?

Ironically......I have a medium length goatee.....and long hair.....middle of my back.....but even so, I could never be mistaken for a lady.....unless you want to throw me from the train.......

Jealous on two counts. Any attempt at a beard makes me look like an old billy goat and haven’t gotten the hair past the shoulders yet. Kids asked me why the long hair. The answer was because I can.

I’m on the verge of cutting it. I’ve been going back and forth for months now. I had long hair when I was in high school. After I got out of the Army I let it grow for six years. This time it been growing for 5 years.

It’s a pain in the butt to keep. It’s hot. I wear it pony tailed an clipped up under a hat 99% of the time. It takes 2 hours to dry after a shower when I wash it. I have to brush it all the time. Any physical labor that involves sweating leaves me with a head of wet hair. I’ve about reached my tolerance limit.

I’m probably going back to a Gene Kranz flattop. Less like his high&tight and more like Ed Harris’ version in Apollo 13.

Hi Jeff, I am a total Newb at this drone flying. I knew I wanted one for a few years and had no Idea where to begin. I found your channel and watched all the videos. I hadn't even heard of Yuneec 6 months ago. The hex really peaked my interest. Then I found @typilot and looked into the H+. The camera sold me. I used the money I was saving for a 600mm lens to buy a lightly used H+. $2000, four batteries,extended range antenna, DY5 charger, Engpow fire bag and a four pack of filters later I own one. The previous owner bought it to do a YouTube video comparison to a DJI drone. There is a video with the H+ I own on YouTube.
So I really want to thank you and Pat. If not for your channels I'd probably have a DJI drone now.

I’m on the verge of cutting it. I’ve been going back and forth for months now. I had long hair when I was in high school. After I got out of the Army I let it grow for six years. This time it been growing for 5 years.

It’s a pain in the butt to keep. It’s hot. I wear it pony tailed an clipped up under a hat 99% of the time. It takes 2 hours to dry after a shower when I wash it. I have to brush it all the time. Any physical labor that involves sweating leaves me with a head of wet hair. I’ve about reached my tolerance limit.

I’m probably going back to a Gene Kranz flattop. Less like his high&tight and more like Ed Harris’ version in Apollo 13.
I kept my hair short as in the military, easier to maintain.

I think I have somewhat of a different perspective than most on here. I've had the Typhoon H+ with Realsense now for about 4 months...

First off, it is a great quality drone and I was ecstatic to take it home with me last November from Best Buy. It took me some guts to finally take it out of the case and go fly it, but about a week later I finally was able to test it out. It flew like butter and I really enjoyed the handling of the hex.

However...

Now, I'm somewhat regretting my decision. I was very disappointed in the range of it. The advertisements state up to 1 mile which obviously depends on any interference around you and if there are any obstructions. I work for a large homebuilder so we have thousands of acres of land without any obstructions and I still was only able to get it about 1,800-2,000 feet before I noticed some video lagging. I'm not sure how DJI gets their signal ranges up to 4+ miles but for the price of the H+, Yuneec should at least be able to consistently deliver a mile without any asterisks attached. My Mavic Pro can go way further and it costs half the price of the H+! I've since purchased a 4 Hawks range extender which has definately helped but I shouldn't have to spend another $120 to get what I need out of it when advertisements are promising one mile range.

As for the camera quality, I agree that it is great and is definately a step up from the others Yuneec offers. However, that being said this is being advertised as a professional photography drone yet it still has a set aperture? You should be able to at least get a few stops higher, like f5, f8, f11 or something like that for the cost of this camera. If you look at DJI's comparable models, like the Zenmuse x4s or x5s, you are given 11-12 aperture stops and very high ISO ranges. The C23/E90 retails between $1,300-$1,600 depending on where you look. For that amount of money, which is just below the cost of an Zenmuse x5s, you should be able to have more of a professional style camera rather than a camera with set aperture like a Mavic Pro or P4P. If this is the best Yuneec can offer, they are going to be lagging behind the competition for a very long time.

There are a few other minor gripes that I have with the H+, such as the firmware updates, controller lag, etc. but the two issues above are the most damaging for me. It's a great drone but is it worth $2K+? I think it's more in line with a Phantom 4 Pro and should be somewhere around $1,300-$1,500 with the Realsense. But maybe I'm just hard to please!

That being said, if anyone is looking for a crispy clean used H+ with 3 batteries, range extender, FPV goggles, with 2 year Best Buy warranty, you know where to find me :)

Reactions: Trav H
He sold the wrong one. :)
I know. Still can't figure out why you would spend $2800.00 When he could have just spent $1800.00 do the review and sell it. I figure I did good though. He never registered the warranty with Yuneec either. I spent more than I planned on but I got more than I ever would have buying a new one.

That being said, if anyone is looking for a crispy clean used H+ with 3 batteries, range extender, FPV goggles, with 2 year Best Buy warranty, you know where to find me :)

List it in our classifieds section... :)

I just purchased the HPlus yesterday. Have had the HPro for sometime. Huge difference. Much more control , no question quieter, super fun in Sport mode and a much improved camera. I will fly it in a good breeze today. I’m expecting good results.
Hard to compare the Pro and the Plus. They are so different. Pleased so far.
Jeff, please buy one. I love your reviews and the HPlus needs your reviews. I hope Yuneec makes it. Selling 80 percent of their product through Best Buy is not healthy. With the line Phantom apparently done, Yuneec should do well. Let’s hope so.
Bill Dunnuck

I’m always amused by people that become miffed when a drone’s actual range prevents them from breaking the law. Even more amusing are the people that extoll the longer range of products that indirectly encourage them to break the law.

Depending on how the authorities set up remote ID it would be very easy to establish who was flying in excess of VLOS rules. All that’s needed is code that notes both controller and drone positions with a separation value to be depicted. A quick glance to note separation distance and a violation notice goes in the mail. From there our own telemetry hangs us out to dry.

It does not matter how much property is owned, who it belongs to, or how far away your drone will effectively function. Without a waiver or CoA the law makes it VLOS for everyone. Those that elect to fly BLOS are part of the problem that has encouraged the legislation that is becoming more and more restrictive for everyone.

I think I have somewhat of a different perspective than most on here. I've had the Typhoon H+ with Realsense now for about 4 months...

First off, it is a great quality drone and I was ecstatic to take it home with me last November from Best Buy. It took me some guts to finally take it out of the case and go fly it, but about a week later I finally was able to test it out. It flew like butter and I really enjoyed the handling of the hex.

However...

Now, I'm somewhat regretting my decision. I was very disappointed in the range of it. The advertisements state up to 1 mile which obviously depends on any interference around you and if there are any obstructions. I work for a large homebuilder so we have thousands of acres of land without any obstructions and I still was only able to get it about 1,800-2,000 feet before I noticed some video lagging. I'm not sure how DJI gets their signal ranges up to 4+ miles but for the price of the H+, Yuneec should at least be able to consistently deliver a mile without any asterisks attached. My Mavic Pro can go way further and it costs half the price of the H+! I've since purchased a 4 Hawks range extender which has definately helped but I shouldn't have to spend another $120 to get what I need out of it when advertisements are promising one mile range.

As for the camera quality, I agree that it is great and is definately a step up from the others Yuneec offers. However, that being said this is being advertised as a professional photography drone yet it still has a set aperture? You should be able to at least get a few stops higher, like f5, f8, f11 or something like that for the cost of this camera. If you look at DJI's comparable models, like the Zenmuse x4s or x5s, you are given 11-12 aperture stops and very high ISO ranges. The C23/E90 retails between $1,300-$1,600 depending on where you look. For that amount of money, which is just below the cost of an Zenmuse x5s, you should be able to have more of a professional style camera rather than a camera with set aperture like a Mavic Pro or P4P. If this is the best Yuneec can offer, they are going to be lagging behind the competition for a very long time.

There are a few other minor gripes that I have with the H+, such as the firmware updates, controller lag, etc. but the two issues above are the most damaging for me. It's a great drone but is it worth $2K+? I think it's more in line with a Phantom 4 Pro and should be somewhere around $1,300-$1,500 with the Realsense. But maybe I'm just hard to please!

I don't think there are any sub 2,000 dollar multi rotors that have adjustable apertures, maybe I missed that, and the X5 is certainly a great camera but it doesn't fly itself, isn't the all up price of an Inspire 2 with an X5 well over 6,000 dollars? It was certainly more when I priced one out before buying the Plus.

I2-X5s version is indeed about $6k. Both the X5 and X5s have a dynamic range of about 12 stops but I don’t know that is has adjustable stops. The dynamic range is similar with the latest Autel platform.

To buy an I2 X7 bundle will set you back over $20k.

However...

I think with the latest firmware, the signal range should be improved a lot and more stable, normally I fly 4500 feet for footage and also see similar good test result in the board.

Last edited:
I like all the things you're looking for. It really irks me that I can't get it without real sense. It's such a useless feature, and the H I have with real sense has a nasty habit of drifting badly after I've turned on real sense and flown for awhile. And I get to pay $200 or more extra for the privilege LOL.
Many pilots raises these functions months ago and hope Yuneec will give more soon.
I have one H+ without realsense, it's available in Yuneec China.

Jeff
You are the main reason I bought my THPro. Your videos are great. I would also like to upgrade to the Plus but I have this gut feeling that I should move on and just fly my Evo and older Mavic Pro. Yuneec bothers me and the fact that they won’t respond to you, their biggest supporter, is nuts. I don’t mind spending the money to get the Plus but I have this feeling that Yuneec doesn’t care about their consumer drone customers and that they are leaning heavily toward commercial users.
Bill Dunnuck
Actually Yuneec launched H+, MantisQ last year for consumer marketing, and they would pay more attention on it.

I’m always amused by people that become miffed when a drone’s actual range prevents them from breaking the law. Even more amusing are the people that extoll the longer range of products that indirectly encourage them to break the law.

Depending on how the authorities set up remote ID it would be very easy to establish who was flying in excess of VLOS rules. All that’s needed is code that notes both controller and drone positions with a separation value to be depicted. A quick glance to note separation distance and a violation notice goes in the mail. From there our own telemetry hangs us out to dry.

It does not matter how much property is owned, who it belongs to, or how far away your drone will effectively function. Without a waiver or CoA the law makes it VLOS for everyone. Those that elect to fly BLOS are part of the problem that has encouraged the legislation that is becoming more and more restrictive for everyone.

Actually, when you are surveying large tracts of land using automated drone mapping software such as Pix4D, you absolutely have to fly BVLOS. There is just no other way to do it unless you have some other method that I'm not aware of.

I work for a large land developer and we have 20,000+ acres we are developing over a time span of 50+ years. We are bringing online drone mapping to our development capabilities and I bought the drone to get my Part 107 in order to prepare for the future. Doing a quick test of the advertised range of the drone in an area where there's no roads, obstructions, or controlled airspace is not something that is out of the ordinary for a professional seeking to invest thousands into an industry and make sure it is the appropriate solution for the job.

If you think most large scale users do not do the same tests, you are mistaken. And yes, I've applied for the VLOS waiver last month and I'm awaiting the results.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any sub 2,000 dollar multi rotors that have adjustable apertures, maybe I missed that, and the X5 is certainly a great camera but it doesn't fly itself, isn't the all up price of an Inspire 2 with an X5 well over 6,000 dollars? It was certainly more when I priced one out before buying the Plus.

Yes, they are over $6K but I've found quite a few on ebay with very low miles for under $4K used. One just sold today like new for $3,900 with x5s and 3 different lenses in addition to the standard 15mm, including a 14-42mm zoom. The lenses alone probably set the guy back an additional $1K+.

That's the good thing about these "toys". Lots of people willingly throw down thousands and have no clue the types of restrictions drones have in the aviation world so they end up selling them with only a few hours of flight time.

I ended up picking up an Inspire 2 with x4s and less than 3 hours of flight time for $2,200. I can eventually upgrade to the x5s when I find someone desperately wanting to upgrade to the x7.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval