Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is the Typhoon H still limited to 400 feet?

Reaction score
I read in another (now closed) thread about firmware 1.30 stopping the Typhoon H from going above 400 feet, even if you change it in the GUI app. I am new to drones and just bought this drone a few days ago. I would like to go above 400 feet if I can. Is this still a limitation? I think the latest is like version 1.34 which what I have.

Thanks.

Four hundred feet is no longer a limitation. You do have to use the GUI to set it higher. Easy process.

If you get your commercial FAA cert, you can also ask Yuneec to remove the NFZ restrictions. Also note that Yuneec has made it clear that they do not collect your flight data and send it anywhere.

Great members here who will help if you have problems.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
The b30 firmware removed the limitation that is present in b27 firmware. As Ray stated you must use the GUI to set limits higher than 400'. The system defaults to ~390' if left unchanged.

Bear in mind that photo EXIF data shows location and altitude. If you're doing commercial work evidence of exceeding 400' would be present on every photo had you done so.

Does this apply to the UK version too? Yuneec still has a message on their website saying it is limited due to CAA rules.

usa only. For commercial work must be 107cert can not say for 333 exemption.. If you around certain distance from a structure you are allowed to go 400 ft above the highest part of said structure. just know the class air space your in.

Does this apply to the UK version too? Yuneec still has a message on their website saying it is limited due to CAA rules.

You'll have to ask Yuneec about any UK restrictions, the U.S. has different federal rules. There has been discussions where it's been said the UK 400' rule is not actually law, but a mis interpretation by some government agencies that extends limits for specific areas and activities to all areas.

Last edited:
You'll have to ask Yuneec about any UK restrictions, the U.S. has different federal rules. There has been discussions where it's been said the UK 400' rule is not actually law, but a mis interpretation by some government agencies that extends limits for specific areas and activities to all areas.
Not particularly directed at you PatR. I just quoted your text for background and completeness.

In the U.K. a 400' limit is law for commercial operations. For recreational flights it is a bit more vague since the Air Navigation Order (2016) doesn't give a limit for height when using aircraft with a mass of less that 7Kg...only for aircraft over 7Kg. My interpretation of that, then, is that since aircraft should remain in LOS then reaching a height much above 400' (aircraft less than 7Kg flown recreationally) it may be argued in court that you are flying beyond VLOS.

From a previous thread, another forum member spoke to someone at the CAA about this and was told over the 'phone that 400' is the rule for all UAS regardless of mass or whether it's being flown commercially or not. So it would appear that at least one member of the CAA's staff (the person whom the forum member spoke too) doesn't have a clear grasp of what actually is the law.

In short, for under 7Kg aircraft flown for fun the 400' is advisory...but I think that advice should be followed to avoid it being argued that you are flying at a height beyond VLOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: R12NDS
Just passed my PfCO in the UK and above 400ft would be considered beyond VLOS...especially with such a small UAV.

I'll have to disagree with that. If you have reasonably good eyesight the H is visible for a little more than 1000'. I only fly LOS and regularly achieve 1,100' laterally and keep the H within eyesight. When flying at such distance I make sure to leave the gear down to assist with aircraft visibility.

Visible maybe, but controllable? Maybe im getting old and need to go to SpecSavers. :-(

It all depends on the light. Before I became well up on the law regarding UAS, for at least for a couple of months after I started flying them, I would fly pretty high. I reckoned that I was good to about 600 feet but all to often if I glanced away and tried to find it again I couldn't and had to rely on the screen.

Incidentally, depending on the light, I've had instances where I've struggled as low as 250-300 feet.

In the end, though, if a British court decides you haven't got VLOS at, say, 500 feet height, then it doesn't matter whether you can see it or not at 600 feet height... you're still a done dude.

For the record, most of my best pictures were taken below 250 feet and my TH is limited to 390 feet.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
I'll have to disagree with that. If you have reasonably good eyesight the H is visible for a little more than 1000'. I only fly LOS and regularly achieve 1,100' laterally and keep the H within eyesight. When flying at such distance I make sure to leave the gear down to assist with aircraft visibility.
we've discussed this before. laterally I recon I'm good to 1300' so long as I have a reference point so that I can clap eyes on it again if I glance away (to know where it is in relation to a tree or other land mark).

My flights always remain below 400' AGL. Laterally they might triple that. The law states we must maintain LOS with the air vehicle. It does not state the max distance that provides for orientation or to determine control input. Yes, I'm aware I've argued to the contrary in the past but the law is written as it is.

we've discussed this before. laterally I recon I'm good to 1300' so long as I have a reference point so that I can clap eyes on it again if I glance away (to know where it is in relation to a tree or other land mark).

Indeed we have:) My posts in this thread are there more for the others.

So, flying a remote controlled airplane in the UK, you're limited to 400' or below? Seems people often confuse these creatures as being something other than simply an RC aircraft; one of those things that people have been flying for decades, most likely above 400' sometimes. For sure, my old delta wing tuned-pipe would hit speeds of ~120MPH and heights of "I see the dot... let me give a control input and see which way it flies to determine where it's pointed". Of course, it was only flown at the RC airfield.
Just because it has a camera on it does not make it "something else". ;)

True from one perspective, but in truth both RC aircraft and "drones" have finally been re-classified to accurately define what both are; remotely piloted/unmanned aerial vehicles, or for simplicity, aircraft.

Reactions: kd4pbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
puputus