Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Just sat there and hover

FlushVision

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Not sure is anyone else has experienced this.

I had my first flight last wednesday and all was going well but when I got my first low level battery warning I tried to bring it back for landing...but it just sat there. Second low level warning sounded in due course but I still couldn't get a response so I landed it where it was, about 500 ft away. I did notice, though, that as I was landing I had already started to walk towards it and on inspecting the video it showed the aircraft moving away from me.

I also noticed that at some point, probably as I was acknowledging the battery low level, the switch had been toggled to smart mode...please note that I took off in Angle mode and thought I was still in Angle mode.

For info, I've a EU model living in England. I still had good video link to the pad and I don't believe I'd lost control since I was able to land it.

I don't want this to happen above water and the only thing I can think of is that switch being in smart mode.

Any ideas?

Yup, SMART mode will do that.
Keep an eye on the tail light of the H, if is green/white blinking = SMART MODE and it will not let the H get near you. Real easy to accidentally hit the mode switch into SMART MODE.
Glad you got her down safely.

In smart mode the "Safe Circle" is 26 ft so I would have no idea why it would stop so far away. When you are flying in a large area you might try to duplicate what happened by switching to smart mode and seeing how it behaves.

Yup, SMART mode will do that.
Keep an eye on the tail light of the H, if is green/white blinking = SMART MODE and it will not let the H get near you. Real easy to accidentally hit the mode switch into SMART MODE.
Glad you got her down safely.
Yup. I thought that. It was the only thing I could think of, but I was surprised at it doing it at 500 ft!

I think I must've caught the switch when I went to touch the screen to shift the battery warning but I didn't notice it until I'd landed.

In smart mode the "Safe Circle" is 26 ft so I would have no idea why it would stop so far away. When you are flying in a large area you might try to duplicate what happened by switching to smart mode and seeing how it behaves.
Yes, I know about the 'safe circle'.

I'll try to repeat what happened next time I fly it. I need to know for sure what it is before I take it over water...don't want that to happen when it's over a reservoir.

With it being my first flight I didn't want to attempt a RTH in case it was something that would have caused greater issues switching to RTH: I was able to land where it was and the walk did me good LOL

That happened to me in a large field, with my 2nd flight, It was about 4 or 5 hundred feet away and the low battery came on.
(I was at that time trying all the switches for testing to see what the differences were). I tried to bring it back but, couldn't go
anywhere but down. I ran over to the H and it was ok. The ST16 was in smart mode. I only fly in angle mode, I have
never had that happen again. When your a newbie you get it up there and start flipping switches so you can see what they do,
and get in trouble sometimes.

Reactions: FlushVision
This is a long shot but minimum throttle is increased to about 20% in full turtle. Make sure you are in full rabbit next time. Another guy on the forum had a similar issue, would not land, so he sent it back to Yunecc for repair, may want to search for it.

That happened to me in a large field, with my 2nd flight, It was about 4 or 5 hundred feet away and the low battery came on.
(I was at that time trying all the switches for testing to see what the differences were). I tried to bring it back but, couldn't go
anywhere but down. I ran over to the H and it was ok. The ST16 was in smart mode. I only fly in angle mode, I have
never had that happen again. When your a newbie you get it up there and start flipping switches so you can see what they do,
and get in trouble sometimes.

I have lots of experience with Phantoms so I've no need or desire for the smart mode on the Typhoon H. I'm gonna try Paladin's solution. The nearest thing to smart mode on the Phantoms is 'Course Lock'...a feature I only experimented with when I was new to the Phantom and never used since.

I got the Typhoon H ready for doing PFAW flights in a couple of month's time (doing the course for Remote Pilot's Cert in early July) so I want to use the time between now and then to refine my act, so to speak. I've still got my Phantoms for general mucking about and I know just how much I can chuck them around...But I gotta get used to, and confident with the Typhoon H. So, with only one flight under my belt along with this issue of not wanting to go anywhere but down, I have a bit to go yet before I'll feel the same confidence.

This is a long shot but minimum throttle is increased to about 20% in full turtle. Make sure you are in full rabbit next time. Another guy on the forum had a similar issue, would not land, so he sent it back to Yunecc for repair, may want to search for it.
If it's just the issue with the smart mode being switched on accidentally that caused the problem then being aware of it will resolve it for me (may try Paladin's fix) so no need to send it back IMHO. If, on the other hand, the fault lies elsewhere then I do have an issue since, for example, I'll never feel confident flying it over water.

I've seen a solution in a YouTube vid where someone was able to disable the smart mode switch position using the settings. I wish I could find that vid again.

I did not want to permanently disable it. I also don't want to mess with that in settings myself. You will need smart mode if you use follow me mode etc... I just wanted to make sure when I selected it that I meant to. i:)i

If it's just the issue with the smart mode being switched on accidentally that caused the problem then being aware of it will resolve it for me (may try Paladin's fix) so no need to send it back IMHO. If, on the other hand, the fault lies elsewhere then I do have an issue since, for example, I'll never feel confident flying it over water.

Sorry I misread, saw the title just sat there and hover; thought you couldn't land it(decend). That's the issue the other guy had in smart and angle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval