Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Kids Drone Suggestions

Reaction score
Hello everybody!! Anyone got any suggestions for a drone suitable for a 6 year old? He had a cheapie one before that he loved using but wasn’t particularly robust to the inevitable crashes and died pretty quickly. Found several reviews online but most seem to be of models pitched at older kids.

Hello everybody!! Anyone got any suggestions for a drone suitable for a 6 year old? He had a cheapie one before that he loved using but wasn’t particularly robust to the inevitable crashes and died pretty quickly. Found several reviews online but most seem to be of models pitched at older kids.
There's a reason they are pitched to older kids.

6 is a bit young, however it is an opportunity for you and the child to share an activity, at all times under your direct supervision. You would need to take the lead and teach the child responsible operations, safety and care.

Take a look at the DJI/Ryze Tello with a Gamesir T1d controller. They're easy to fly, designed for indoor use, and pretty resilient. This is the first step up from a cheap, hard to fly toy to an actual drone aircraft. ALWAYS under your direct supervision. Develop good, responsible operational habits and in just a few years moving up to a DJI Mini will be simple and reasonable.

6 is a bit young, however it is an opportunity for you and the child to share an activity, at all times under your direct supervision. You would need to take the lead and teach the child responsible operations, safety and care.

Take a look at the DJI/Ryze Tello with a Gamesir T1d controller. They're easy to fly, designed for indoor use, and pretty resilient. This is the first step up from a cheap, hard to fly toy to an actual drone aircraft. ALWAYS under your direct supervision. Develop good, responsible operational habits and in just a few years moving up to a DJI Mini will be simple and reasonable.

DJI Matrice 300... go big or go home :p

To the OP... yes, it's a joke.

Our kid 8 yrs and have this Cheerwing Syma X5C-1 outdoor drone and it’s surprisingly good for $50.
After getting it last Spring my kid and I flew it all Summer.
Equipped with a 6-axis gyroscope for better balance in the air.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohamad Löfgren
Hubsan makes a few great drones for beginners, the desire and 501c both around 100 bucks, and both have gps so all he has to learn is get off the sticks to prevent a disaster. I bought a brand new desires last year,E bay for 30.00 for my bss's kid 7yr. old. He had a ball with it . Be sure to get extra battery,kids don't understand waiting,two in a row keeps em interested. Peace KC

Reactions: DoomMeister
May I recommend the Holy Stone HS210 Mini Drone.

Indoor only (or a breeze will take it out of sight). It weights approx. 25 grams and has propeller guards. This makes it virtually unbreakable in a crash and virtually harmless no matter what it hits.

5-7 minutes of flying for each of the 3 batteries provided and I ordered more after-market ones that give 4-5 minutes for a few bucks a piece.
It uses a little controller based on the old Nintendo design.

So much fun, even for adults. I envy the 6 yr old who gets one of these. It will fine-hone their hand-to-eye coordination, left vs. right mirror image interpretation reflexes and spatial perception skills.

currently $36 on Amazon.

The other little Holy Stone drones w/ cameras are probably very good also but the phone app software will likely cause a headache trying to get it bound to a smartphone.

Tello. My 6yo loves his. Ok it’s a touch expensive but has tech by DJI and flues beautifully even in light winds. Good camera too and easy to use app. Can be programmed via Raspberry Pi too – not played with this functionality yet but looks fun. There are a few options for a drone like: DJI Mavic Mini: lightweight and durable with a user-friendly app and camera capabilities.
Potensic T18: a budget-friendly option with altitude hold, headless mode and one key landing.
Holy Stone HS100D: features easy operation, LED lights and is made of durable materials.
Syma X5UW-D: good for beginners with 6-axis gyro stability, smartphone control and HD camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430