Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Lake Apopka with a twist...

Reaction score
Video date: 7-17-2019, altitude 75 feet.
I love my lake! So I decided to purchase a Tamrom 70-300 for wildlife photography. (yep cheap but it works).
So now I will incorporate these pictures in my lake videos.
It just happened some one was there fishing and a flyby of a bird at the end of the video.

I love my lake! So I decided to purchase a Tamrom 70-300 for wildlife photography. (yep cheap but it works).
It just happened some one was there fishing and a flyby of a bird at the end of the video.

Very nIcely done! Where was your launch point? When I launch from the volley ball area in the park, I begin to lose signal just past the little pier and boat launch area.

@ParagonDrone
My launch point is the dock in the video. So are you saying you launch from Magnolia Park?
We can't fly there anymore, or any Orange County Park. :(
I've flown as far as 1100' from my dock and 1700' from my boat, a bit scary since they look like dots in the sky.?

Reactions: ParagonDrone

Very nice!

What dock in the video. I must have missed it!

Jeff

@ParagonDrone
My launch point is the dock in the video. So are you saying you launch from Magnolia Park?
We can't fly there anymore, or any Orange County Park. :(
I've flown as far as 1100' from my dock and 1700' from my boat, a bit scary since they look like dots in the sky.?

Wow, that sucks! When did they put the restriction on the County Parks in place? I had gotten permission to fly on the side of Magnolia Park by the lake last year, but not the other larger side across the road where the park office is located. I have not asked them since then, so I guess I got lucky the last few times I flew out there about 2-months ago, because no one stopped me.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I actually was told I can't fly their, but that was over a year ago??
So I did some more reearch about flying at Gilbert Park. Evidently they haven't enacted any local (Orange County) legislation restricting drone flights yet.?
They were concerned about drones vs liability issues.?
So keep flying there.:)
So now I will start flying there from time to time.?

Reactions: ParagonDrone
70-300 is a great choice for an all purpose zoomer.....if you enjoy wildlife you’ll get a lot of use out of it. With the right setup, you can get some decent bokeh shooting people.

Reactions: AH-1G
:)And thanks for tuning me in on the Tamron. I've been doing a lot of research through You Tube.
My next one might be a 50mm??? But then why???

Last edited:
Hmmm, I actually was told I can't fly their, but that was over a year ago??
So I did some more reearch about flying at Gilbert Park. Evidently they haven't enacted any local (Orange County) legislation restricting drone flights yet.?
They were concerned about drones vs liability issues.?
So keep flying there.:)
So now I will start flying there from time to time.?

I originally started flying in the big open field on the side where the office is located, and an employee came out and told me that I could not fly on that side of the park because of the housing development next to the park. He said that I could only fly across the road on the side of the park that had the boat ramp. I flew on the lake side for over a year, and several times the same employee would come out and talk to me about drones and watch. Other employees would also pass by me while I was flying on the lake side of the park and they never said anything to me. It may have helped that I told them I was FAA Part 107 certified, and explained what it took to get that certification. I usually go out there in the early weekday mornings when the park is not in use.

As soon as my hand heals up I will go out there again for a flight. I will keep you updated if they say anything to me or not.

Last edited:
With the crop factor on your DX, makes it a 75mm....with an f/1.8.....GREAT lens for making portraits. That 1.8 will produce fantastic bokeh and all the pictures you take of people, if setup properly, will look amazing. You'll be able to do anything with your D3300...the kit lens (18-55) great for all around, 70-300 zoomer for wildlife, sports, etc.....and the nifty fifty for people. Done.

I originally started flying in the big open field on the side where the office is located, and an employee came out and told me that I could not fly on that side of the park because of the housing development next to the park. He said that I could only fly across the road on the side of the park that had the boat ramp. I flew on the lake side for over a year, and several times the same employee would come out and talk to me about drones and watch. Other employees would also pass by me while I was flying on the lake side of the park and they never said anything to me. It may have helped that I told them I was FAA Part 107 certified, and explained what it took to get that certification. I usually go out there in the early weekday mornings when the park is not in use.

As soon as my hand heals up I will go out there again for a flight. I will keep you updated if they say anything to me or not.
They new I had my 107. Hey maybe they had a sour day???

With the crop factor on your DX, makes it a 75mm....with an f/1.8.....GREAT lens for making portraits. That 1.8 will produce fantastic bokeh and all the pictures you take of people, if setup properly, will look amazing. You'll be able to do anything with your D3300...the kit lens (18-55) great for all around, 70-300 zoomer for wildlife, sports, etc.....and the nifty fifty for people. Done.
And my micro lens is awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annamiller