Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

LiHV vs. LiPo

I've been reading this older thread and have a general related question.
If I used a H480 battery in my Plus how accurate is the % reading. Sure wish it read volts instead of %!
I'm accustom to landing the plus battery at 30%, is the H480 battery at critical voltage if I land at the same 30% level?
Will likely test this weekend and see what the voltage reading is right after landing.

The percentage reading on the St-16S of the aircraft's remaining charge is not all that accurate, at least when I let the battery cool down and put it on my Hitec X2 AC Charger. But beyond that, what I found when using a 480 battery in a Plus is this: Flying down to the first low battery warning, landing, remove the battery and let it cool down for 30 minutes and then put it on a charger and you'll find it is merely at storage level. By the same token, Flying that same battery down to around 14.8 volts indicated on a 480/ST-16, letting cool and so forth, gives the same results.

So by extrapolating roughly how much time you can fly a 480 after it indicates 14.9 volts down to its first 'Low Battery' warning, I believe you will have a good idea as to how much time/voltage is left. One of our members (I think it was @Peggy ) reported a while back that he simply ignores low battery warning and upon the third (where the Plus will initiate RTH) he simply flicks the flight mode switch to a different mode and back and continues on.

If I were to start using 480 batteries I would simply take small steps going past the low voltage and see where it really is getting down to until you found a safe margin. I can tell you that the batteries I used to do this test were two years old and still give about 14 minutes of flight time on a 480 and gave me a little over 12 on the Plus, but here again - that was to Storage level, I believe another 2 minutes would easily and safely be achieved. My guess is if you had a fresh 480 battery you would be able to get the same flight time as a Plus Battery, albeit with the last 3 or 4 minutes having a low battery warning every 30 seconds.

Now if we could figure out how to rest the low battery warning?

Reactions: oliver and davemh
Keep in mind that the voltage/percentage shown while flying is a loaded voltage/percentage. Reading it with a charger, etc. is an unloaded voltage, which will always be higher than the loaded voltage.

Reactions: PatR
This is very true. If you saw a reading of 14.8v while flying and landed immediately, as soon as you disarmed the motors the displayed voltage would increase to ~15.1V. Turning off the aircraft to remove the battery to cool for half an hour would show a further voltage increase of ~0.1 or 0.2V. If you popped that battery back into the aircraft to make use of the “extra” voltage you will see it depleted very, very quickly.

The voltage you want to pay attention to is that which is displayed while the aircraft is in flight.

I fly with standard H batteries all the time and simply allow the battery to go down to 20% reading on the ST16S then land, this is actually around 32% ish in real time as the voltage and battery meter are obviously reading the wrong voltage. If you flick the angle/manual switch up, down and centre to angle mode it will cancel the battery warning and will allow you to carry on as Ty Pilot mentioned earlier.

A little information today:
I did a flight of 15 minutes with lipo of 480 and I went to the second warning of the battery at 25%, then I landed.
9:30 am in classic flight (ascent-descent-several take-offs-I shot a few videos) and the rest 5:30 hovering to empty the lipo.
The tension was 14.88 v after 20 minutes of rest.
The tension was 14.92 v after 2 hours of rest.
The recharged capacity is 4400 mAh
The measured resistance is 3 2 3 2, total: 10 m Ohm
It is an almost new battery (4 flights).
Good day

I returned from another shoot, I flew 15:30, up to 21% and I did not have 2 low battery warnings. I went directly to the RTH that I cut by operating the Sport switch, then Angle. It's very curious, it's the first time!
The voltage after 20 minutes was 14.86v.
Not very precise all that. We can deduce that from 25% one returns and one poses with the classics lipos (H480). Or not to exceed 15 minutes of flight, and one is largely quiet.;)

Edit: when I go to google translate what I write in English, it looks like a filthy porridge:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digitix