Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

low voltage auto land?

Purely by coincidence but I had a similar thing recently so I can only support your supposition on question one and that is the H did land auto because of low battery. I think someone has also said it moved clear of objects and moved away because that is the way it was facing. Did object avoidance switch on due to this event I believe it did as it did for me, thankfully. Like you it is not my usual form to fly to the second warning but the unit did the job it was programmed for and land while avoiding the objects.
Looking at the telemetry, you can watch it switch to "land". Now, it did yaw 1/4 left toward the open space but I am not trusting that as pre-programmed. It probably accepted that one command from me which was instinctive but after that, nothing. Landed probably in 4-5 seconds from take-over.

While we’re on the topic of low battery and trying to “get home”...

For those pilots not already practicing glide slope, get in the habit. That is, when coming home, bleed off altitude at the same time you are bringing your aircraft back to you.

This accomplishes two things: conserves your remaining power(descending) while getting it in position to land when it is close to your landing spot once you do get it home.

Of course, terrain and obstacle awareness is paramount.

Jeff

P.S. it also looks cool for anyone watching, as you touch down smoothly without much adjustment to either axis. Practice, practice, practice, of course!
Yes, agree. It is much cleaner, I dislike the characteristics of the bird on a direct descent. Like an unruly child that does not want to come inside! However, sometimes it is necessary. If airspace permits, I practice a pattern. Great suggestion.

Reactions: Photo
If flying on low battery voltage, avoid using the Home/Land switch. If the set RTH height is higher than the aircraft’s current altitude the aircraft is auto commanded to climb to the RTH height. If the battery is already low you don’t want to be imposing a higher current demand and waste critical voltage doing that.

Example:
I usually fly at 100’ or lower but my RTH height is set at 200’ to assure obstruction clearance on a direct line return path.

If I was flying at 50’ a distance 800’ away from me and switched into RTH the aircraft would immediately climb straight up an additional 150’ before starting a return home. All that altitude consumed critical battery power and extends the time needed to descend after the aircraft returned home.

It’s very possible to fly a battery to a low voltage and be too high for the remaining voltage and current availability to be sufficient to land the aircraft. The voltage can be depleted to a level where the system will no longer function reliably, or at all, and enter an unrestricted, uncontrolled descent to impact.

Another situation is possible when flying in Smart mode. If the aircraft is high enough it can be flown inside a lateral distance less than the safe circle distance. If flying over the top of the Safe Circle, commanding RTH/Land will initiate a descent but upon entering the Safe Circle “bubble” the aircraft will maneuver to escape the Safe Circle, ignoring your manual command inputs.

Example:
I usually fly at 100’ or lower but my RTH height is set at 200’ to assure obstruction clearance on a direct line return path.

If I was flying at 50’ a distance 800’ away from me and switched into RTH the aircraft would immediately climb straight up an additional 150’ before starting a return home. All that altitude consumed critical battery power and extends the time needed to descend after the aircraft returned home.

This is one of the reasons to not get into the habit of using RTH, simply because it is available. Also if you have no obstructions in the way, make your geometry teacher beam with pride by using the hypotenuse and creating a glide path.

If you have to bias anything (again under circumstances of no obstruction), bring the altitude down first. If power craps out while you are 15 feet in altitude and 75 feet distant, what will be the resulting damage... as compared to being 15 feet distant, at an altitude of 75 feet.

OK, i was waiting for this picture and received a first warning. Pushing to the limit (which is not my style, I just needed another minute), which I know was a bad decision, I got the shot along with the second warning. I was bringing it in, direct dissent, when about 6 feet off the ground I lost all control, the drone flew to an open space just barely missing a truck, and landed. It was actually a pretty awesome landing.

Question one. Was this more than likely an auto land due to low voltage?

2. Why did it avoid some very close obstacles, other than the truck, like a fence, people in area? Other than the truck that it had to fly over to get to the open space, everything else was in the opposite direction. AVOIDANCE WAS NOT ACTIVATED unless it was auto. Did the bird choose the open space??

Without slapping my hand too hard, which I have already done, can anyone explain this beyond just good luck landing?

Thank.
GaDrone

Hello,
There are two battery warnings and a warning that the emergency landing is initiated.
From a voltage of 12.9V, the emergency landing is automatically initiated.
See video:

The Realsense module has an 8GB memory, which can store the last 5 - 5,5min of the detected area, to disperse if needed.

I would recommend to always land the Copter right after the first battery warning. That should give enough leeway to control a minor incident.

greeting
Fan Tho Mass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
german translation

Hallo,
es gibt zwei Akkuwarnungen und eine Warnung, dass die Notlandung eingeleitet wird.
Ab einer Spannung von 12,9V wird automatisch die Notlandung eingeleitet.
Siehe Video:

Das Realsense-Modul hat einen 8GB Speicher, der kann die letzt 5 - 5,5min des erfassten Gebietes speichern, um bei bedarf auszuweichen.

Ich möchte empfehlen, den Copter immer direkt nach der ersten Akkuwarnung zu landen. Das sollte genügend Spielraum geben, um ein kleinere Zwischenfälle zu kontrollieren.

Gruß
Fan Tho Mass

Surely going to 12.9v is going to harm the battery over time?

I'm afraid I'm more boring or careful 14.8 to 14.7.

Sure Mrgs1, it's up to each of us to land at any voltage we want. Its your, money, drone and your decision. You don't have to listen to any other drone owners experience and knowledge.
:D

Reactions: Mrgs1
Sure Mrgs1, it's up to each of us to land at any voltage we want. Its your, money, drone and your decision. You don't have to listen to any other drone owners experience and knowledge.
:D
Fair comment!

Landing at a higher voltage only reduces the amount of time you spend in the air with each battery. For those that don’t need or want to fly as long it’s no big deal. There are also those whose flights can be quite short and minimizing time on a battery will allow another brief flight on the same battery.

So we need what we need to use while avoiding depleting a battery to less than 14.4v under load. 14.5v or higher is safer for most.

Yes, agree. It is much cleaner, I dislike the characteristics of the bird on a direct descent. Like an unruly child that does not want to come inside! However, sometimes it is necessary. If airspace permits, I practice a pattern. Great suggestion.
Hi Baldfield, I tried "glide slop" from 200m away and 75m height today... looks great and "artistic" way to get home.. Even me did it the first time.... sorry that nobody else saw me...?

Reactions: NorWiscPilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy