Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

low voltage auto land?

Reaction score
OK, i was waiting for this picture and received a first warning. Pushing to the limit (which is not my style, I just needed another minute), which I know was a bad decision, I got the shot along with the second warning. I was bringing it in, direct dissent, when about 6 feet off the ground I lost all control, the drone flew to an open space just barely missing a truck, and landed. It was actually a pretty awesome landing.

Question one. Was this more than likely an auto land due to low voltage?

2. Why did it avoid some very close obstacles, other than the truck, like a fence, people in area? Other than the truck that it had to fly over to get to the open space, everything else was in the opposite direction. AVOIDANCE WAS NOT ACTIVATED unless it was auto. Did the bird choose the open space??

Without slapping my hand too hard, which I have already done, can anyone explain this beyond just good luck landing?

Thank.
GaDrone

Pure luck.

A multirotor uses a lot of different voltages from a single battery to drive different things. Those things are prioritized by order of importance. Once battery voltage descends past a certain point some functions will end up falling below their minimum voltage thresholds and what happens from there is anyone’s guess.

There will be times when decisions have to be made; which is more important, getting the shot or saving the aircraft to be flown another day? Only the owner can make that call but one way is safe, the other never is.

Reactions: EdA and DCH
Pure luck.

A multirotor uses a lot of different voltages from a single battery to drive different things. Those things are prioritized by order of importance. Once battery voltage descends past a certain point some functions will end up falling below their minimum voltage thresholds and what happens from there is anyone’s guess.

There will be times when decisions have to be made; which is more important, getting the shot or saving the aircraft to be flown another day? Only the owner can make that call but one way is safe, the other never is.
Thanks, RS was not activated. Thanks for the slap on the hand, I deserve it. It could have gone the other way, literally. It was like it looked for open space; the parking lot just beyond the truck. It was not responding to and control.
Do you have RealSense installed? RealSense scans the environment and stores somthing for the way back.
Otherwise it was good luck.

br HE
RS was not activated. It flew AWAY from the controller as it was descending right above. Thanks to all.

Thanks, RS was not activated. Thanks for the slap on the hand, I deserve it. It could have gone the other way, literally. It was like it looked for open space; the parking lot just beyond the truck. It was not responding to and control.

RS was not activated. It flew AWAY from the controller as it was descending right above. Thanks to all.
But, questions #1, was this a low voltage auto land? I know my Q500 would do that, according to manual, but does the TyH also auto land due to low voltage? This is not specified in the owner's manual. Just wondering.

Pure luck.

You are so right. I was foolish, but, I need to know, questions #1, was this a low voltage auto land? I know my Q500 would do that, according to manual, but does the TyH also auto land due to low voltage? This is not specified in the owner's manual. Just wondering.

I had my H520 fly a test-survey and choosed to let it do it's thing. First alert at 30%, going to 20% battery left, and falling to 11. I got stress and wanted to start comming back in manual-mode for faster speeds, but right before I was going to initiate this, at 10% it went automatically into RTL-mode and it landed at 3% battery on it's home-point. Do not try this at home :)

I also remember having seen a post where was stated that Yuneec has extra capacicity in the battery that is not being monitorred or calculated for extra safety. I do not know this is thru.
This would have meant that it would still have been more then 3% leftover ...

As always, start RTL at a maximum lower barrier of 20% flying closely, or 30% when flying on its limits ...

Conclusion for the H520. At 10% it goes into safety-RTL and lands on its home-point.

I guess, your home-point was not recorded correctly. Always check your map before take-off. I don't think drones of these days are that smart to find a suitable landing-place, or, it just lands ... That is also a possibility.

Last edited:
Guys, please read the question. He is no longer asking about the lateral travel. He wants to know if the lack of CONTROL was due to an autoland activation. I would answer, but I don't know for sure. Can some one help him out?

Reactions: Steve Carr
Guys, please read the question. He is no longer asking about the lateral travel. He wants to know if the lack of CONTROL was due to an autoland activation. I would answer, but I don't know for sure. Can some one help him out?

But, questions #1, was this a low voltage auto land? I know my Q500 would do that, according to manual, but does the TyH also auto land due to low voltage? This is not specified in the owner's manual. Just wondering.

Yes, the Typhoon H auto lands on low voltage, in the following timeframe:

1st battery warning at 14.3 V under load.

2nd Battery warning at 14.1V under load... (usually about 2 minutes after 1st battery warning, but it is voltage triggered, not time... so factors like headwind play into your actual result)

Auto-land is usually triggered 30 seconds after 1st battery warning... aircraft begins to laugh at you hysterically ? if you are over trees or water at this time. This is sometimes mistaken for tumbling due to power loss. ?

Reactions: WTFDproject
By the time the 2nd warning appears, the voltage and battery capacity are nearly depleted. Several people have reported the H may just drop while in that final descent. The low level is not sufficient to maintain flight. It depends on the battery condition what happens at that point.
In this case the landing was fortuitous rather than intelligent. Take that H out for ice cream and brownies.

Reactions: Rubik
By the time the 2nd warning appears, the voltage and battery capacity are nearly depleted. Several people have reported the H may just drop while in that final descent. The low level is not sufficient to maintain flight. It depends on the battery condition what happens at that point.
In this case the landing was fortuitous rather than intelligent. Take that H out for ice cream and brownies.
I looked at the telemetry, it went into land mode automatically somewhere in the dissent. I am assuming the reason it went the way it did (approx 26' btw) was because it was oriented it that direction. Just a guess. It would have been a whole different story if it went the opposite direction. Lesson learned, right up there with do not short cut take off checklist, equipment inspection or do a hasty launch. BTW, TyH opted for a nap while the operator is in time out, but the ice cream and brownies is a great idea!! Maybe when she wakes up?
Thanks to all. Fly safe and smart!!!

It is a generally accepted best practice to do what is needed to be back on the ground with a voltage reading of 14.5V under load. That way if things go FUBAR during the landing process you still have a minimum of 2-3 minutes to work it out.

Next time you go out flying and have a battery to deplete, just for S's & G's ascend to a full 395 feet, and time how long it takes to land... and to make it a reasonable measurement, let's say with the throttle at the mid-point between rabbit and turtle. As Steve mentioned, the bird does not care at what altitude it fails at... 0, 15 or 150 feet. That way you can start to track, and make notations of voltages, to determine when to start back at various distances.

Reactions: PatR
As I recall the H will descend to a lower altitude at the first battery warning. I can't recall for certain but it may be 80'. That is still too high if you wish to land within a safe margin.

It is a generally accepted best practice to do what is needed to be back on the ground with a voltage reading of 14.5V under load. That way if things go FUBAR during the landing process you still have a minimum of 2-3 minutes to work it out.

Next time you go out flying and have a battery to deplete, just for S's & G's ascend to a full 395 feet, and time how long it takes to land... and to make it a reasonable measurement, let's say with the throttle at the mid-point between rabbit and turtle. As Steve mentioned, the bird does not care at what altitude it fails at... 0, 15 or 150 feet. That way you can start to track, and make notations of voltages, to determine when to start back at various distances.
Yes, thank you EEV. It is responsible to know what the bird is "designed" to do and much of that is gained by reading, watching, testing (as you appropriately suggest) and asking people like yourselves who I knew would be knowledgeable and honest. I am so very thankful for this forum, as I am sure many others are, as well. So, accept my sincere appreciation to those who make this happen. Also, I am very thankful for this animated response to my questions and concerns; I knew I would be taught and corrected and I would be a better pilot as a result. Usually I am more in the background, reading and learning. Especially, I WANT to know what FEW situations the bird is out of my control completely. The telemetry told all, I was fighting for control.
Thanks again, guys. Keep the forum strong. This 3 year old fascination with these curious devices is a great and needed diversion from my regular dealings with life!

Reactions: PatR and Steve Carr
Purely by coincidence but I had a similar thing recently so I can only support your supposition on question one and that is the H did land auto because of low battery. I think someone has also said it moved clear of objects and moved away because that is the way it was facing. Did object avoidance switch on due to this event I believe it did as it did for me, thankfully. Like you it is not my usual form to fly to the second warning but the unit did the job it was programmed for and land while avoiding the objects.

The H will not turn on any feature that was not already active for a low V descent. If the video is recording at that time it may stop the recording process. It will display a message the camera will not function at a given voltage/current availability level.

While we’re on the topic of low battery and trying to “get home”...

For those pilots not already practicing glide slope, get in the habit. That is, when coming home, bleed off altitude at the same time you are bringing your aircraft back to you.

This accomplishes two things: conserves your remaining power(descending) while getting it in position to land when it is close to your landing spot once you do get it home.

Of course, terrain and obstacle awareness is paramount.

Jeff

P.S. it also looks cool for anyone watching, as you touch down smoothly without much adjustment to either axis. Practice, practice, practice, of course!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy