Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Maiden Voyages.

Reaction score
A while ago, I got a QX2. Maiden voyage, took it to my local football field/rec. Hit a tree!.
Last week, got my Typhoon H. Yesterday, took it to same rec. Hit the same tree!
Why does that tree keep chasing my gear!!
Wears camouflage and everything!

Reactions: Rayray
First I have to ask the newbie, (Butter Bar) do you know how to use your controls? In other words fly! Was your ST16 in angle or smart mode? How many root beers did u have? Good thing your in a large large large empty field without trees, oh that wasn't the case. Down load theYuneec Pilot Simulator software for the H. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
For me it was a brick building that jumped in front of my H. And then another time, I was just about to land when all of a sudden......the ground reached up and pushed my H over. I have since had a long talk with the building, the ground, my ST16, and the H. They have all said they would try to get along. We'll see!

First I have to ask the newbie, (Butter Bar) do you know how to use your controls? In other words fly! Was your ST16 in angle or smart mode? How many root beers did u have? Good thing your in a large large large empty field without trees, oh that wasn't the case. Down load theYuneec Pilot Simulator software for the H. :rolleyes:
No. Clearly.
Angle.
None. Unusually.
Large field. And tree.
Will do. Need dongle thingy for SIM?

Don't feel too bad. There's a kid I know but I won't mention his name, his initials are Charlie Brown though. He's gone through quite a few kites due to an aggressive tree.

Reactions: Vicki F
Trees. Where's the CAA when they're about, eh?

Have ordered SIM. Will arrive before repairs are completed on my H. I must say though, the QX2 is a lot more robust and really moves when in pilot mode...

Tree still got it though!

Last edited:
another option is to buy an inexpensive drone ($50-100) and learn to fly that first. It may not have a camera but the sticks should be the same. If you can tame that beast the Typhoon H should be a joy to control. My first lesson learned was to fly slow and give myself plenty of time to think before reacting otherwise panic and adrenaline set it and bad things are more likely.

Dromida. They are quite spritely, force you to think ahead of the little critter, tolerate quite a few hard knocks inside and outside the house, lack GPS so you have to fly it, relatively cheap, and get you trained on the controls fairly quick.

Go to the Yuneec website, click on Support and then find Typhoon H video's. You will learn alot concerning what you need to do in order to fly properly. You need to make sure that all the Firmware on the H itself and the 16 controller is all up to date. Just keep on educating yourself through YouTube and Yuneec Support and eventually you will be able to fly without crashing. You should have been flying in Smart Mode, not Angle. Angle mode is for experienced pilots only and it does not sound like you have any. Good Luck.

If you search YouTube you’ll find good series of how to get started with the Typhoon H by Jeff Sibelius and Captain Drone. It really helped me get started along with the Yuneec videos.

Last edited:
I have been very fortunate to help folks locally to fly and understand how drones work. (16+ year old folks and up), It's enjoyable to watch and see smiles.
There are opportunities for experienced drone pilots to help or offer themselves as flight instructors.
I found a person who is going to purchase a Yuneec so I plan to visit, show him how to use the controls and give him an opportunity to fly the H. You might say I'm offering myself to be a flight instructor, lol.:eek: The Yuneec is a friendly but sophisticated craft, all some folks need is hands on training.

Last edited:
I have been very fortunate to help folks locally to fly and understand how drones work. (16+ year old folks and up), It's enjoyable to watch and see smiles.
There are opportunities for experienced drone pilots to help or offer themselves as flight instructors.
I found a person who is going to purchase a Yuneec so I plan to visit that individual show him how to use the controls and give him an opportunity to fly the H. You might say I'm offering myself to be a flight instructor, lol.:eek: The Yuneec is a friendly but sophisticated craft, all some folks need is hands on training.

Having a good instructor is the ideal way to learn. The Typhoon H can be fun to learn under good tutelage.

Trying to dive into flying on your own can be daunting with all the features and options the craft has. Start simple and practice, practice, practice.

No. Clearly.
Angle.
None. Unusually.
Large field. And tree.
Will do. Need dongle thingy for SIM?

I remember these days. Only it was fixed wings in those days. I crashed every time. I got off the ground. Then I was good enough to keep on the air till it was time to land. Then bam a wing clips the ground. Lucky for me multirotors we’re not a thing at this time. It was a expensive learning curve. I’m still trying to wrap my head around how you hit a tree with the H. Didn’t you see the tree approaching?

I remember these days. Only it was fixed wings in those days. I crashed every time. I got off the ground. Then I was good enough to keep on the air till it was time to land. Then bam a wing clips the ground. Lucky for me multirotors we’re not a thing at this time. It was a expensive learning curve. I’m still trying to wrap my head around how you hit a tree with the H. Didn’t you see the tree approaching?

I’m thinking you panicked and froze on the sticks. Common thing for new pilots. Nervousness will crash you almost every time if you allow it to get to you.

I’m thinking you panicked and froze on the sticks. Common thing for new pilots. Nervousness will crash you almost every time if you allow it to get to you.

Nooo. I panicked and hit HOME. Being under a tree...... D'oh!
Upt £100 in parts and unknown fees. Still not back after 3 weeks..

Thanks for all the good advice guys... Since my.... steep learning curve/accident, I've watched loads of vids. Flying wasn't the issue, I don't think. Flying near trees is the thing.
AND I had glasses on. These are for reading - ie seeing the controller - but not for distance... Hard to imagine not seeing a black drone against a dark tree background!!!!
Going to get new eyes in the next few weeks: £6K!!

I have a (white) QX2 which is excellent to fly... Fast, I recently found out in AP mode!!!

And in hind(lack of)sight, It really wasn't that large an area to buzz around in.. School boy errors all round.

I wear bifocals and use yellow shooting glasses over them to help visually pick out the T H when flying against a background of green trees.

What helped me the most was putting neon orange gaffers tape on the landing gear. If there’s any light hitting that tape it just glows.

Here's a photo that my wife took of the T H while I was taking video of an historic grist mill. It shows the neon orange leggings it now sports. Highly useful for me against the green trees I often fly near.

5576-2048x1536.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airconditionerservice