Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Micro SD card capacity?

What we care about is the Write speed. The higher the better. The vast majority of cards extoll the virtues of the Read speed, which is not important for recording.

Speeds are up to. You won't get those in most hardware like a DSLR would never write to the card at the max.

The microSD card in your camera is the digital equivalent of film... you could get photos with generic Walgreens brand film... just not quality ones. Some points to pay attention to:

Better to get two smaller capacity cards and always have a spare on you... but the flip side is the speed of the card... for example, if you look at the high speed cards designated as V60... sizes start at 64 GB... no 32's made at that speed. As well many of the high speed cards will be UHS-II capable... but irrelevant, since the cameras we use are UHS-I... and will write to a UHS-II card at the slower rate of the camera.

As mentioned in this thread, you should look in the specs for the write speed and then reduce that by 25 - 33%, to get an accurate sustained write speed.

Speeds are up to. You won't get those in most hardware like a DSLR would never write to the card at the max.

Those DSLR’s providing high still photo frame rates most certainly max out a card’s write speeds. The cameras end up having to “buffer” the data input, temporarily storing some number of photos when the card gets overloaded with data input. It’s a common occurrence with one of mine when shooting stills at 11 frames/second. When the buffer is exceeded the camera stops taking stills until the buffer clears. So if you have a high data rate, high frame rate camera you need better quality, fast write cards with those too.

Those DSLR’s providing high still photo frame rates most certainly max out a card’s write speeds. The cameras end up having to “buffer” the data input, temporarily storing some number of photos when the card gets overloaded with data input. It’s a common occurrence with one of mine when shooting stills at 11 frames/second. When the buffer is exceeded the camera stops taking stills until the buffer clears. So if you have a high data rate, high frame rate camera you need better quality, fast write cards with those too.
Can't say I've ever maxed out mine even my D5 200 frame buffer or D4s, XQD is superior to SD card, I get excellent results with SanDisk extreme pro U3 no problems with the Typhoon. A D700 could never write to the card as quick as the specs.

The microSD card in your camera is the digital equivalent of film... you could get photos with generic Walgreens brand film... just not quality ones. Some points to pay attention to:

Better to get two smaller capacity cards and always have a spare on you... but the flip side is the speed of the card... for example, if you look at the high speed cards designated as V60... sizes start at 64 GB... no 32's made at that speed. As well many of the high speed cards will be UHS-II capable... but irrelevant, since the cameras we use are UHS-I... and will write to a UHS-II card at the slower rate of the camera.

As mentioned in this thread, you should look in the specs for the write speed and then reduce that by 25 - 33%, to get an accurate sustained write speed.
Never have too many cards as they say.

A couple things not mentioned in this thread:
Fast read speeds are helpful when you’re offloading your cards. Yes, a 90MB/S card does transfer in half the time of a 45! There are published write/read specs for almost every card, though you may have to get to the manufacturer’s site to find them.

Counterfeit cards are common. Buying card media is one area where a reputable retailer is important; I avoid ebay for cards.

I’m using Samsung 128GB u-III cards for under $25 USD on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWZWYVP/

I currently have four of these... the GoPro Fusion 360 cam uses 2 at a time, and I share these cards with my TH-Pro. They’re fine, they’re inexpensive, they transfer fast, they have lots of storage.

Does the info that comes on the original card have to be on a new card also or will it work without that info?

Does the info that comes on the original card have to be on a new card also or will it work without that info?
What info are you referring to?

The contents of the card - no.

The ratings of the card - yes. You want a Class 10, U3 (3 inside the U) rated SD card. The faster cards are only slightly more expensive. 32GB and 64GB cards are the most popular. Two or three cards should do.

The info on the factory provided card contain digital instructions, a quick start guide, and informational videos. They should be copied and saved to a file on your computer for continued reference. You can clear the card afterwards if desired.

What info are you referring to?

The contents of the card - no.

The ratings of the card - yes. You want a Class 10, U3 (3 inside the U) rated SD card. The faster cards are only slightly more expensive. 32GB and 64GB cards are the most popular. Two or three cards should do.
Thanks

Reactions: DoomMeister
I wish i had found this thread before ordering a micro sd for my typhoon h camera.. I have a SanDisk 200GB, UHS-I, 100MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, A1 that will be here wednesday. Will that still work and only be recognised as 128 or is it just not compatible at all?

If you are going to record 4K video you need U3 rating. Not sure what the camera will recognize with the card you have coming.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval