Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Mini Zoom Lens for H !

Funny, but mine has NO GLUE ! and screws right off! So I am not "SADLY" misinformed my friend!! maybe lucky ! never had a camera drone with a glued on lens and still don't ! I have had them have a lubricant seal, but not glue! So if yours is glued fine, but maybe others are not, or I am just one in thousands that isn't ;)
What was sharpness like on your original lens....wondering if its only screwed in there is the possibility of the barrel shifting out....even a tiny amount will effect focus...
How did you focus the new lens? With a go pro for detail you can hook it directly to a HD monitor, did you do something like this?
Can you post before and after shots?
Did you by any chance spot the camera model number on the board IMX....? or even the processor model?

What was sharpness like on your original lens....wondering if its only screwed in there is the possibility of the barrel shifting out....even a tiny amount will effect focus...
How did you focus the new lens? With a go pro for detail you can hook it directly to a HD monitor, did you do something like this?
Can you post before and after shots?
Did you by any chance spot the camera model number on the board IMX....? or even the processor model?
My stock lens was fine and video's had dark areas in lower section, but nothing I could not correct in manual settings and angle of camera. I hooked it to my PC and my 4K TV, no and no on last questions.

I did not find a need to do as many of the steps they show here. In the beginning I took off all 8 screws to remove the outside cover completely, then pull out the two red wires (microphones). You can remove the lens without removing any more screws, use rubbing alcohol to make the glue more brittle then chip off with an instrument like a dentist's pick, use a small needle nose to break seal then remove with your fingers...

Useful video, thanks for posting it gives me the confidence to try this myself. I may have to wait for them to be available, or maybe Yuneec will bring something out in the meantime

I find this video somewhat deceptive. They state that the lens is a:

3.97 f2.8
8 glass lens elements
82 degree field of view <-- current lens is 115 degree field of view - why would I want a lesser field of view when doing landscape shots and video shoots?
16 Megapixel resolution <--changing lens doesn't increase your pixel count - replacing sensor can increase the pixel count. The sensor is a 12.4 Megapixel sensor - stating 16, 21, 24, 50 megapixel resolution doesn't grant you those pixels in the H - all your going to get is 12 megapixel. Why state that number unless to be deceptive and not explain all your really going to get is 12 megapixels.

Also this procedure will void your warranty so why do it?

I also seen the before and after pic that showed of both lenses and to be honest - looking at the comparison picture they showed - I don't really see a difference in the leaves on the trees especially for $140 and loss of warranty. They both were never great from the beginning. But who is really looking at a far distance of leaves on a tree to determine better quality in a lens? Now if it was a Zeiss lens and with the same FOV - maybe...just maybe it would be worth it.

Just my 2 cents...

There are less expensive versions and though Yuneec states 115, I believe it was corrected to more like 95(don't quote me) It does help with some settings for eliminating "Jello Effect" and the length of the lens being longer, gives you a zoom, or should I use the word. closer up view a little of the field of view. I have not used on my CGO3+ but have on my GoPro and it is quite noticeably better in many shots/video's. Again it is for your personal decision and needs. SEE BELOW :
F2.8 4.35mm 16M FOV 90° 13G lens for Git2/GoPro - GitUp Action Camera

Reactions: Samuel Fowler

3.97 f2.8
8 glass lens elements
82 degree field of view <-- current lens is 115 degree field of view - why would I want a lesser field of view when doing landscape shots and video shoots?
16 Megapixel resolution <--changing lens doesn't increase your pixel count - replacing sensor can increase the pixel count. The sensor is a 12.4 Megapixel sensor - stating 16, 21, 24, 50 megapixel resolution doesn't grant you those pixels in the H - all your going to get is 12 megapixel. Why state that number unless to be deceptive and not explain all your really going to get is 12 megapixels.

I also seen the before and after pic that showed of both lenses and to be honest - looking at the comparison picture they showed - I don't really see a difference in the leaves on the trees especially for $140 and loss of warranty. They both were never great from the beginning. But who is really looking at a far distance of leaves on a tree to determine better quality in a lens? Now if it was a Zeiss lens and with the same FOV - maybe...just maybe it would be worth it.

Just my 2 cents...

It is a bit odd but the resolving power of the lens is stated in megapixels...it's not producing 16 megapixels it merely has the resolving power to display 16 megapixels...admittedly confusing but that is what is being expressed here...the actual resolution is of course only determined by the sensor. I hope that clears up your question on why they state it that way.

3.97 f2.8
8 glass lens elements

Just my 2 cents...

Can't disagree with you Sam, but for me I often need to film performers on the ground, where a closer angle is definitely a benefit. I'm sure filming wildlife would also be better with a narrower angle so you don't have to get in too close and scare the subject away.
Personally I'd love to be able interchange a wide and a telephoto lens (or a "zoom" as DC insists on calling it ;)) depending on the situation.

Can't disagree with you Sam, but for me I often need to film performers on the ground, where a closer angle is definitely a benefit. I'm sure filming wildlife would also be better with a narrower angle so you don't have to get in too close and scare the subject away.
Personally I'd love to be able interchange a wide and a telephoto lens (or a "zoom" as DC insists on calling it ;)) depending on the situation.

Yes, I agree there may be times that a 22mm may come in handy as opposed to a 14mm for a closer perspective - may even like a 50mm if possible - and that would all require a real zoom or an option of quick removal of these lenses. Granted I plan on doing a shoot in the near future with the drone with a female who does personal workout training in the park and this drone could be a very nice tool to get some great video for her business. So a closer perspective would be a great lens but at the same time - I would hate to have the drone fly into someones face while they are working out in the video because I am too close for comfort. How I really wished it was a real zoom......:confused:

No insists stated, just using what is "Stated" on the specs for these lenses! you call call it whatever you need to, but it does what it does and it states"Zoom" Sorry if I am not a camera design engineer! LOL !;)

Yes, I agree there may be times that a 22mm may come in handy as opposed to a 14mm for a closer perspective - may even like a 50mm if possible - and that would all require a real zoom or an option of quick removal of these lenses. Granted I plan on doing a shoot in the near future with the drone with a female who does personal workout training in the park and this drone could be a very nice tool to get some great video for her business. So a closer perspective would be a great lens but at the same time - I would hate to have the drone fly into someones face while they are working out in the video because I am too close for comfort. How I really wished it was a real zoom......:confused:
Lucky man! :cool:

3.97 f2.8
8 glass lens elements

Just my 2 cents...
Yes I have to agree that the 16MP did not make any sense to me either and Im still not really sure how it 'Resolves' to 16MP.
However, as a landscape photographer there are many times I have needed a long focal length, I occasionally use up to 200mm or longer on a full frame DSLR and have even used 500mm.

I have not decided yet, as you say it will void the warranty, I wonder how much for another CGO3+? It would be cool to have few of these. I am hoping Yuneec will brng something out camera or lens wise soon so holding off on this until I am sure.

I'm not sure about the ethics of using a drone for wildlife photography tbh

Yes I have to agree that the 16MP did not make any sense to me either and Im still not really sure how it 'Resolves' to 16MP.
However, as a landscape photographer there are many times I have needed a long focal length, I occasionally use up to 200mm or longer on a full frame DSLR and have even used 500mm.

I have not decided yet, as you say it will void the warranty, I wonder how much for another CGO3+? It would be cool to have few of these. I am hoping Yuneec will brng something out camera or lens wise soon so holding off on this until I am sure.

Drones are used in many BBC natural history programmes.

It doesn't "resolve to 16 megapixels" it has the ability to resolve data up to 16 megapixels for sensors that produce a file that large.
Does that make sense to you now. It is a term of expression for what it can resolve relative to what size sensor is being used
If you had an 8 megapixel lens for example it would not look very good on a 16 megapixel sensor because it is not able to deliver thru the lens all the data at the quality created by the sensor

I have to say the replacement lens looks sharper and appears to have better chroma characteristics.
The stock lens has a severe red cast, which mine has and seems to be common to all the videos I've seen. It's quite difficult to correct in post so I'll definitely be looking to get one of these lenses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss