Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Motor A,B replacements

Reaction score
Does anyone know if all wires (red,blue,black) coming from the motors into the ESC, are they all hooked up the same? Do they all go: RED - A, BLUE - B, BLACK - C?

They are all the same. The red goes close to the red power wire.

Take a look at all my motor videos for you to see.
I replaced all the motors a few times from my crashes on the Typhoon G.
I just epoxy the drone now if I can

The motor wires all go on the same on every ESC board. The direction of the motor is dependent on the ESC being programmed via the USB connector
and the motor calibration program.
I posted a video of that too.

In theory you can use a B motor for an A motor.
It would spin the right way.

But the threads will be wrong and you will get really confused.

Just saying. A motor is a motor.
An ESC is an ESC.

Don't switch the wires to try to change direction.
All wires go in the same way.

Direction all programed into the ESC probably into an ee memory or such.

Thank you very much. I guess my soldering skills suck! lol
Also, on my main mother board the started to smoke from the middle black component so I know that's gone. Question is do I have to replace the whole mother board or can I have just that one piece replaced?

Attachments

• IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 29
Hi There,
If you smoked your mother board then i guess it is gone.
That is the middle board in the drone in the center.

Did the power get hooked up back wards - meaning the battery connector got installed the wrong way?

Those boards can be bought - but are $150 or so.

Maybe just get a whole new drone for $499 as the price has dropped a lot. Just keep what you have for spare parts.

You could post a picture of the mother board and what has smoked on it.

Maybe you can replace that part?

All the parts on the motherboard are SMT - Surface Mount Technology so replacing parts on the motherboard would be a real headache.

Best to get a new motherboard.

But then the reason it smoked up in the first place has to be fixed.

Hi There,
If you smoked your mother board then i guess it is gone.
That is the middle board in the drone in the center.

Did the power get hooked up back wards - meaning the battery connector got installed the wrong way?

Those boards can be bought - but are $150 or so.

Maybe just get a whole new drone for $499 as the price has dropped a lot. Just keep what you have for spare parts.

You could post a picture of the mother board and what has smoked on it.

Maybe you can replace that part?

All the parts on the motherboard are SMT - Surface Mount Technology so replacing parts on the motherboard would be a real headache.

Best to get a new motherboard.

But then the reason it smoked up in the first place has to be fixed.
Put in a new motherboard, but something is wrong. When I turn on the power it starts to beep and the light beneath flashes a long green light followed by flashing orange, any ideas on this one
?

The motherboard will try to do an init. In that manner it will check:

Is the GPS connected?
Is the compass connected?
Is the Radio connected?

And the motherboard will try to see if the ESC's are connected - those are the boards which take a pulsed signal from the motherboard and turn it into signals to run the motors.

If the ESC boards are broken - one is dead - you can get beeps.
If a motor is dead you can get beeps.

Also - I remember the orange light means you need to be
bonded with the flight controller - the ST10 box.
When it is flashing orange I think that means you need to get the ST10 to bind with the radio in the quadcopter.

So what I would do:

1) Connect the USB cord to the quad copter. Run the Yuneec program and make sure the motors check out and the ESC's are assigned.
Take off the props and try to spin the motors with the Yuneec program from your computer or laptop.

and now do the accelermeter calibrate. You just set the drone on a flat surface and hit calibrate.

2) If (1) goes well do a BIND from the ST10 to the new motherboard in your quad copter.

3) If that goes well do a compass calibrate. Best way to do a compass calibrate is watch someone like Ryan do it.

The motherboard will try to do an init. In that manner it will check:

Is the GPS connected?
Is the compass connected?
Is the Radio connected?

And the motherboard will try to see if the ESC's are connected - those are the boards which take a pulsed signal from the motherboard and turn it into signals to run the motors.

If the ESC boards are broken - one is dead - you can get beeps.
If a motor is dead you can get beeps.

Also - I remember the orange light means you need to be
bonded with the flight controller - the ST10 box.
When it is flashing orange I think that means you need to get the ST10 to bind with the radio in the quadcopter.

So what I would do:

1) Connect the USB cord to the quad copter. Run the Yuneec program and make sure the motors check out and the ESC's are assigned.
Take off the props and try to spin the motors with the Yuneec program from your computer or laptop.

and now do the accelermeter calibrate. You just set the drone on a flat surface and hit calibrate.

2) If (1) goes well do a BIND from the ST10 to the new motherboard in your quad copter.

3) If that goes well do a compass calibrate. Best way to do a compass calibrate is watch someone like Ryan do it.

Esc's and motors are good. I calibrated accelerometer but it won't let me do the compass calibrate even though it says the compass is green(good). ? I don't know. I really want to figure this out just in case it happens again or I might be able to help someone later. Well, if you have any suggestions feel free to let me know.

I've been through similar problems. Had to replace the main controller board as well. Everything checked out on the GUI and did the calibrations. It seemed like I was good to go... until I hit the Start button. The props started turning. It was extremely loud. Failed to move. Within seconds the props broke and the ST10 told me the battery was dangerously low. Is it possible that the motors were turning backwards? How could this happen? Any ideas on how to fix?

You may have wired the motors up wrong or the ESC up wrong.
First thing you gotta do - is understand.. The ESC's are programmed to
be in a certain POSITION on the quad copter. If you replace an ESC board - the board below the motor - then the motor and ESC don't know where they are.
As a result - the ESC's can tell the motor to spin the wrong way.

I did not understand the need to assign the ESC's when I first started to repair my typhoon G. I just put it on a bed as I don't have a work shop. Turned it on.
It immediately flipped off the bed onto the floor and broke ALL the props.

I could have been really cut up if it hit my face.

So you need to make sure the wires are on correctly to the ESC boards.
And the wires are on correctly at the main controller board.

I think the new controller board you put in had the right wires on it from the factory.
So all you do is get the black and red wires on correctly on the ESC's.

Get the three motor wires on correctly.

THEN RUN THE CALIBRATE PROGRAM for the motors / ESC's.

Then TEST RUN the motors with the test program portion of the Q500 program used to run the Typhoon G.

That is about it.

You can see all the videos I posted on how to do all this stuff:

Yuneec Typhoon G How to Repair Videos - YouTube

Good luck
flashcrash

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't realize the GUI allowed you to test each motor/ESC. I've had two crashes. The first one I had to replace the ESCs, props and batteries. The second was more catastrophic - landing gear, body, camera mount. When I got it all back together, I had the polarity on the battery leads backwards and blew the main controller board. Got the new board and put it in, updated the firmware and assigned the ESCs, but I admit that I didn't pay attention to which way I turned the motors. I suspect I turned them the wrong way. I'll check it out in the next day or two and let you know how it went.

Russ,
Hi there.
No, it does not matter which way you turn the motors.

When you run the ESC assign program the motor will turn green on the GUI.
You then just put your hand on the motor and twist it back and forth until the program
beeps three times.

Then onto the next motor. You need to twist the correct motor as per the diagram.

Line the copter up correctly with the copter on the video screen. Then assign the motor with the program.

Just twist it back and forth. The current that the magnets make when you twist it is detected by
the ESC and the assignment is make.

Do this for all 4 motors.

Then reboot the Typhoon G.

After reboot - go back into the Q500 program and try to test each motor.

First you need to make sure the props are off.
Accept the condition - props are off.
Then put the mouse on each motor and press on the mouse to activate the motor from the GUI.

The motor will spin up full speed.

Once all this is done you should be ready to fly.

Do an accelermoter calibration whilst you are in the Q500 program.

Set on level and you are set. Just let it calibrate and don't move it.

Compass - set it north and then do the calibrate.

After all this you are good to fly.

Don't ever take off in Smart mode.
And just fly away from trees.
If you get close to a tree you can always try to go UP fast to figure out what to do next.

I crashed about 5 times in a parking lot before I got the hang of not using smart mode unless
the Typhoon G is already way up in the air.

When filming - smart mode allows some good shots as you don't need to care which way
the copter is pointed with reference to the left stick and direction.
You just fly it and film.

When it is time to come home you can try HOME to get you back from far away.
I go to ANGLE and if I can get the white lights toward me I just fly
down and back at a 45 degree from really high.

Then you avoid RING VORTEX and crashing.

Here is how to to ESC assign

Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions flashcrash. I was going to try to re-do the ESC check/assignment last night with a freshly charged battery and now I have more problems. My Typhoon will not even power up anymore. Turn it on and no flashing lights anywhere. Except a small amber light on the inside. I've deduced that this must be the RC radio. Without the main controller booting it won't make the USB connection to the GUI. However the ST10 controller will make the RC connection, just can't do anything. Camera doesn't power up either and so that's not connecting to the ST10. Other than opening it up again and looking for components that may be obviously fried, I'm not sure where to go next on this. Any suggestions? (Or recommendations for repair shops that won't charge me the price of a new one?)

Amber light is the radio If that is getting power then the rest of it should be powering up?
You don't get any power up beeps? No blinking motors?

You have bad luck with that craft.
You can get a whole new body motors, props, radio for about $399 all working.

You can get the working body without the ST-10 for $399. That is better than hacking with yours.

Yuneec Q500+/TYPHOON G/ Q500-4k Replacement BNF

And a whole new one for $499 with a new ST-10

YUNEEC Q500 TYPHOON-G with GOPRO Gimbal

But the Typhoon G is old now.
You may want to get a newer model of something.

Typhoon H is interesting. But a lot more money.

Thanks Flashcrash. Yeah, the amber light is on and the ST10+ does tell me the RC is connecting, but no beeps or flashing lights at all. If it wasn't for the amber light, I would have thought the batter might be dead, but both batteries I have are showing 12v+ on a multi-meter. $399 seem pretty reasonable. I've already spent way more than that on all the assorted parts I've bought. I'd still have the old one for parts. The body and landing gear have never been airborne. :(. The stock 4K camera still works fine and I was very happy with it. Unfortunately, Carolina Dronz is out of stock on the BNF model. I did sign up for an email when it becomes available, and look for other source until then.

Thanks for all the sage advice!
-Russ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval