Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Motor Life Cycle Article

In general 30 - 40 hours lifespan on a motor? That is scary! If nothing else, it makes me glad I have more than 4 motors.
Does the ST16 log the total flight hours?

I'm just not buying it unless they are referring to Brushed motors or erring on the side of caution on the way low side at 1000hrs. Other than bearing failure/maintenance, demagnetization due to extreme heat, or a thrown magnet, typical brushless motors have a life expectancy of 10,000+hrs. That's the equivalent of flying 24hrs/day, 7 days/week, for 417 days.

From a typical maintenance perspective in a zero tolerance for failure environment, i.e. flying, especially when people are aboard, I get it. Plus it's great for the parts suppliers if everyone replaces their motors regularly. But for drones? Seriously? I think we have bigger fish to fry like education / pre-startup checklists and battery failures, either caused by bad 3rd party batteries or not being installed correctly and locked in place.

At least with the Typhoon H we have 5 motor mode for safety redundancy. Personally I'm not going to loose sleep over my motors, nor do I intend to replace them, ever. I would think time would be better spent worrying about people flying with no knowledge on bad or tired batteries which only have roughly 1000 recharge/discharge cycles if properly maintained, improper or no calibrations, not waiting for a complete GPS almanac update, etc..

Info on Brushless Motors
Multirotor Motor Guide - RotorDrone

A Brushless DC motor article compiled for NASA
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19750007247.pdf

I’d like to meet anyone that achieved 1000 charge cycles on a hobby level lipo that was still functioning as designed;)

Reactions: gwhuntoon
I’d like to meet anyone that achieved 1000 charge cycles on a hobby level lipo that was still functioning as designed;)
True, and yeah 1000 is way high IMHO especially since I've never achieved anywhere near that but in general, that's the claim.

On the flip side, the only motor(s) I've ever had go bad or wear out were brushed. I've never had a brushless motor go bad. I know they do for various reasons, mfg defects, dirt, etc. but it's never happened to me.

I wouldn't expect 1000 hours on the battery but 30-40 hours on the motor is downright frightening.

As to the NASA report stating 1000 hours, they also said these motors had 4 years of testing and my guess would be each one costs more than a new TH.

NASA testing is usually performed on articles that are covered by some kind of documented design and assembly control process. Products with certifications for example. What we are provided for propulsion have no such certifications and produced at the lowest possible cost by the lowest priced manufacturer. As such we have zero suitability or life cycle assurances. Same applies to our GPS, and compass units, ESC's and flight controllers. There are no certification standards in place that covers them in any way. This is something that should be of concern to all that fly multirotors. Selling product is more important than flight safety or product guarantee. Note that multirotor manufacturers do not publish and provide aircraft or component maintenance cycle documentation. They may not have a clue how long their stuff should last.

As the article references a study performed that documents motor failures that study is likely available to those that know who and how to ask for it. 30 hours may not be out of line when a flight lasts somewhere between 8 and 20 minutes. The article provides a lot of support for using aircraft that possess motor redundancy.

BTW, reality for battery life time and charge cycles, when they are always correctly used and handled, is 200-400 cycles or about 2 years, whichever comes first. There will be some exceptions but that is a fair average for well maintained lipo batteries. Phone and laptops use the 1000 cycle claim but both have battery maintenance software installed that we don't have and neither apply the current demands on a battery we do.

As the article references a study performed that documents motor failures that study is likely available to those that know who and how to ask for it. 30 hours may not be out of line when a flight lasts somewhere between 8 and 20 minutes. The article provides a lot of support for using aircraft that possess motor redundancy.

BTW, reality for battery life time and charge cycles, when they are always correctly used and handled, is 200-400 cycles or about 2 years, whichever comes first. There will be some exceptions but that is a fair average for well maintained lipo batteries. Phone and laptops use the 1000 cycle claim but both have battery maintenance software installed that we don't have and neither apply the current demands on a battery we do.

Given an average flight time of say, 15 minutes that would mean a 30 hour engine life would come down to about 120 flights. That would be well belowthe 200 cycle threshold of a single battery. So how many people run through a motor before a battery?

For me failures have most always been with ESC’s. The batteries that have failed for the most part did so over time of ownership, not use cycles. Of course there is exception for batteries that failed due to user induced reasons.

NASA testing is usually performed on articles that are covered by some kind of documented design and assembly control process. Products with certifications for example. What we are provided for propulsion have no such certifications and produced at the lowest possible cost by the lowest priced manufacturer. As such we have zero suitability or life cycle assurances. Same applies to our GPS, and compass units, ESC's and flight controllers. There are no certification standards in place that covers them in any way. This is something that should be of concern to all that fly multirotors. Selling product is more important than flight safety or product guarantee. Note that multirotor manufacturers do not publish and provide aircraft or component maintenance cycle documentation. They may not have a clue how long their stuff should last.

No they don't have certifications and if they did we couldn't afford them. A certification is something to fall back on in the event of a failure and implies that proper testing has been done to meet the certification. Take something that is certified to not produce sparks or be a source of ignition in a flammable area. A certification stating intrinsically safe or meets Class I, Div I or Class I, Div II will be certified to not cause a fire in a flammable area, like for a cell phone. A certified phone will cost 4 to 6 times as much as a non-certified cell phone, even though the non-certified cell phone won't produce sparks or be a source of ignition, technically both are safe, just don't get caught using a non-certified phone in a flammable area.

Likewise, brushless motor technology has reached a point where the reliability is more than likely the same with or without certification. Also, I don't think you can say "There are no certification standards in place that cover them in any way." Here is an example of the FCC testing for just the ST16 ST16 Radio Controller Test Report 1 Yuneec Technology Co., Limited. Keep in mind that a lot of individual components used in the ST16 also need to be tested in various ways. This is just the ST16, there are testing reports for other components as well. I'm not saying it's perfect but I don't think you can say they don't have a clue how long their stuff should last. Even if safety isn't the main driver, determining a warranty duration would be, and a company needs to know how long their stuff should last.

Good points! But we have to assume Chinese toy manufacturers follow a generally standard set of rules for testing and paperwork when estimating warranty periods.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patynowy