Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Mushroom antenna H, H Plus, H520

Steve Carr

Missed Approach
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The 5.8 GHz video antennas for the H480 are different than the those used on the H Plus and H520. The H480 uses Left Hand Circular Polarization (LHCP). The H Plus and H520 use Right Hand (RHCP). The pic below shows how to identify the correct one for your ST16.

If you use the wrong antenna it can make a difference in the distance for video reception as well as the quality of the signal.

Mushroom.jpg

On the same theme, this is a photo of the antenna inside the mushroom unit for the H520 ST16S controller. Mine started rattling, so I thought I can't risk it and I took a junior hacksaw to the casing. It turned out that a lump of the glue had come loose inside, so I just glued the top back on. But it gave me a chance to see the antenna itself. (RHCP as you can see!)

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_171317.jpg
    IMG_20200622_171317.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
The 5.8 GHz video antennas for the H480 are different than the those used on the H Plus and H520. The H480 uses Left Hand Circular Polarization (LHCP). The H Plus and H520 use Right Hand (RHCP). The pic below shows how to identify the correct one for your ST16.

If you use the wrong antenna it can make a difference in the distance for video reception as well as the quality of the signal.

View attachment 22743
Good catch. Probably at least a 3dB loss if you miss match polarization.

Reactions: Steve Carr
So, is there a difference with the square patch antenna for H480 vs H520/HPlus?
I would think so. Patch panel antennas can be made in different configurations including RHCP and LHCP. I have not compared the 480 vs the 520, but that would be worth a look.

This is the internal construction of a RHCP panel antenna:

1595352257908.png

So next question: Is there a way of telling the difference externally without hacking one in half? I have 4 patch antennas for 3 ST16 and 1 ST16S and they may be "mixed up" as I assumed they were all the same.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Would it be possible to test the field strength with a ST16 for the 5.8ghz band using a scope? So if a patch antenna was the "wrong" type for the ST16, it would presumably have a lower signal strength? Then, it may be possible to identify each type by some external clues?

I have about 100 Patch Antenna's.
I will see if I can find the Difference between the H & H-Plus/H520 Versions.

Steve has already posted a picture pointing out the differences between the two.The aerial on the left shows two grooves as indicated be the read arrows.
1595369920709.png

Would it be possible to test the field strength with a ST16 for the 5.8ghz band using a scope?
I use a 5.8GHz wifi adapter on my laptop which has an SMA connector. I can attach any of the antennas to the adapter to check the relative signal strength using a laptop with Wifi Analyzer software (Microsoft). But I have not checked the patch antennas for a mismatch signal drop.

H_vs_H-Plus..jpg H_Mushroom.jpg

Reactions: h-elsner
So, is there a difference with the square patch antenna for H480 vs H520/HPlus?
There has to be a difference since the reception has to be pretty bad if you match a RHCP transmitter antenna and a LHCP receiver antenna.

Is there actually a patch antenna for the Hplus/H520? I was not able to find any images or information about it. Anyway it would not be a problem to use an RHCP 5,8GHz antenna. Just remember that there are different conenctors in use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval