Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My chance to get a really good costly drone.

Reaction score
What are your thoughts?

I'm looking at a dji mavic 2 pro or a typhoon h plus for my 1st drone. I'm not asking which one is better, but is the typhoon h plus a safe choice? I really like the typhoon h plus. I'm leaning towards the typhoon now. I know the mavic 2 is a safe drone.

I know people think that for a 1st drone you should go inexpensive. I got a dji tello on its way. I don't want to say its a once in a life time chance, but I don't know when I'll have another chance.

Thanks for your time!

what won me over for the typhoon style drone ( i do have a phantom 2 as well )
was the 360 camera and the fact you can get the landing gear out of the way i found a bargain h pro on line and jumped at it.
I am not that experienced at flying but have found the h is so stable and keeps its position really well
the choice i would say is what do you want to do with it filming wise as with the 360 gimble you can get some great shots just by letting it hover and move the camera where you want it
if you want portability then you would have to think on the lines of a mavic as its a lot smaller
try and find a shop that would let you fly 1

Trying not to sound as pompous as it might be taken, but an aircraft is as safe as the pilot. All drones can crash for a variety of reasons... only a certain percentage that you have control over.

Couple of questions... why the urgency? The Plus is the newest offering of Yuneec, so it's not going anywhere. Also, on what do you base, the perception of the Mavic 2 being safer? In what ways?

Trying not to sound as pompous as it might be taken, but an aircraft is as safe as the pilot. All drones can crash for a variety of reasons... only a certain percentage that you have control over. Couple of questions... why the urgency? The Plus is the newest offering of Yuneec, so it's not going anywhere.
The urgency is with the money, if I don't jump now it will go somewhere else. I don't know if I can talk the wife into it later lol. I have about a month. Just trying gather info.

Understand... what is your current knowledge base? Any previous MR experience?

If not, you may want to read this thread I wrote:

Droner's Guide to Surviving Virginity

As far as the timing... I certainly benefited from keeping my 1st Typhoon H in it's box for about a month after receiving it, and flying the Blade Nano QX first.

Last edited:
what won me over for the typhoon style drone ( i do have a phantom 2 as well )
was the 360 camera and the fact you can get the landing gear out of the way i found a bargain h pro on line and jumped at it.
I am not that experienced at flying but have found the h is so stable and keeps its position really well
the choice i would say is what do you want to do with it filming wise as with the 360 gimble you can get some great shots just by letting it hover and move the camera where you want it
if you want portability then you would have to think on the lines of a mavic as its a lot smaller
try and find a shop that would let you fly 1
I was set on the mavic 2, till I saw the typhoon h plus. I don't mind that its not as small and compact. The remote has me sold I think, as I haven't had a cell phone for 2 years now and I need something for a screen.

Reactions: Texas_Willie
Multi Rotor... a general term that encompasses all RC aircraft with 4 or more props.

Understand... what is your current knowledge base? Any previous MR experience?

If not, you may want to read this thread I wrote:

Droner's Guide to Surviving Virginity

As far as the timing... I certainly benefited from keeping my 1st Typhoon H in it's box for about a month, after receiving it, and flying the Blade Nano QX first.
I will surly read that, and I was just thinking that I might not fly on my first getting the package. I have a dji tello drone that I get on Jan 3rd. I'll be flying this 1st for awhile.

I have no drone experience, as for MR. What's that?

My thread linked above was written for you... I also started out with no experience. But fortunately, you have found the best resource available to you... this board. I would say if you order the Plus while you feel you can, just park it for a good month or two...

Spend time on a micro like the Blade Nano QX, then fly the Tello for a maybe another month. Particularly with the Blade you can bounce it off the walls, big screen or the dog. ;)

Reactions: Dave21740
If you do get a Plus, remember that $1200 of that is in the camera... fly without it, until you are reasonably comfortable with the flying aspect of the addiction... ;)

See that's another thing I like about yuneec drones over dji is the ability to remove the camera.

What are your thoughts?

I'm looking at a dji mavic 2 pro or a typhoon h plus for my 1st drone. I'm not asking which one is better, but is the typhoon h plus a safe choice? I really like the typhoon h plus. I'm leaning towards the typhoon now. I know the mavic 2 is a safe drone.

I know people think that for a 1st drone you should go inexpensive. I got a dji tello on its way. I don't want to say its a once in a life time chance, but I don't know when I'll have another chance.

Thanks for your time!
It's important to keep in mind the differences between GPS and non-GPS drones. With a GPS drone such as the Typhoon it will stay where it is until you tell it to do something different; not so much the case with non-GPS. In other words, with a drone like the Plus, you have to do something to get into trouble and often the opposite with a non-GPS.

I've had 3 different variations of Phantoms. What I like about the Typhoon + is the 6 rotors and how quiet it is. then the ability to have retracting gear and no camera interference are also big positives to me. Finally, the transmitter (controller) has a built in screen so no need for other viewers, etc. AND no big brother geofencing from the Phantom maker.

I like the fact that the DJI products have the ground sensing sensors which gives them stability for hovering. That said I like the 6 blades for redundancy and the 3 axis gimbals that Yuneec offers. From what I've been reading DJI has been getting better with their tech support as there was hardly anything they could do to be worse.

The choice is tough and I went with Yuneec over 2 years ago because of the tech support, 6 blades and gimbal. I will say that the h+ is the best drone for performance that Yuneec has put out thus far. The selfie drones are a hit for the present generation but the selfie drones aren't my cup of tea.

In the perfect world the H+ with DJI's sensors and Autel's tech support and proposed cameras made in America would be my choice.

Reactions: Dean013
I came to Yuneec from DJI two years ago also and even though the road was a little bumpy at first there was only one occasion when I thought about adding a different brand to the fleet. When the 520 came out, and just never really panned out the way we had hoped for, I was very close to going another route. But that is ancient history and the Plus has made up for all that. I feel confident that, the Plus will be improved upon in the not too distant future at which point I think it will be a very solid system that will be hard to beat in its class.

In the perfect world the H+ with DJI's sensors and Autel's tech support and proposed cameras made in America would be my choice.

But... but... @thoneter it is a perfect world... Cathy Lee is off the air... or at least shown the door :cool:

Reactions: thoneter
My thread linked above was written for you... I also started out with no experience. But fortunately, you have found the best resource available to you... this board. I would say if you order the Plus while you feel you can, just park it for a good month or two...

Spend time on a micro like the Blade Nano QX, then fly the Tello for a maybe another month. Particularly with the Blade you can bounce it off the walls, big screen or the dog. ;)
I purchase a simulator which helped me to feel and learn the controls. It's also a lot cheaper to crash a virtual drone. The fact that you can't tell what's back and what's forward on a drone once it gets some distance from the flier helped me out also.

I learned on a Walkera 500 with 6 props. Walkera puts out great drones but has ZERO tech support. They have an OS that's pretty open which was nice for me to be able to program the drone for RTH height and other features.

Realizing that you if you hit the home button and the home height is set to 50 feet and the trees are at 80 feet wasn't something I'd even considered when getting a drone. Knowing the features, limitations of the flier, drone and how they interact have become 2nd nature unless I'm flying with @Steve Carr

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Polenutrition