Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My H520 future?

Reaction score
Hello fellow Yuneec pilots. First thanks to everyone who has weighed in on my power failure(?) crash. I truly appreciate all the info I have received. I also so very much regret I haven’t kept up with reading the posts on this forum, it’s truly a treasure trove. Re-reading several other threads today I think I may possibly be to blame for my issue in that when I double checked the battery insertion I did NOT fully remove and reseat the battery (only lifting the latch to see if I could feel any looseness...I did not). So on that topic I shall await the verdict of Yuneec.

Meanwhile I wish to open this new thread to solicit the advice of this H520 community of Yuneec Pilots.

First I can say without reservation I LOVE my H520. Ive many years of fixed wing RC but had never flown a drone before (outside a simulator). So I was so very happy I could build skills quickly and feel comfortable with the bird in the air.

That being said upfront...the challenges of getting support from Yuneec and reading many of the threads on this site discussing the short comings of Yuneec’s offerings is making me ponder if I still want to remain in the Yuneec fold (or go with that “other” drone company). I realize that forums such as these tend to focus much more on problems/issues, rather than cheer leading the platform (Maybe a cheer leading section is needed :) )

Right now my drone business is very part time...but as my IT career comes to a close...I would like to move into it full time over the next 3 years and continue into at least semi-retirement. I’ve no thoughts to doing cinema work or even high end photo/video...just basic real estate type stuff but more so a focus on inspection work, perhaps eventually some Ag work and Search & Rescue would be most rewarding. Hence my initial selection of the H520 because of the multiple camera options and how easy they are to swap. I have the E90 (had), the E50, and the CGOeT. I’ve been training using all of them and feel I have made progress. FYI I live in Columbia MO but there are a lot of Rural Electric Cooperatives looking to do power line inspections. There’s LOTS of miles of power lines.

However reading many threads on this forum that discuss how the H520 cameras are inferior to options for DJI I’m wondering if I did indeed make the correct choice. I will say that anyone who has viewed my current videos are most impressed with the quality including a couple DJI Mavic pilots (yes the Phantom 4 would be a more equivalent platform to the H520). I have also listened to the reviewers over at Drone University who while liking the H520 also note it is NOT as capable as the P4.

Can the community here weigh in on the positives/negatives of the H520 vs what DJI offers? And just because I haven’t made this complicated enough...add a discussion of pros/cons of mapping capabilities of each.

I’m considering picking up a second drone (discovering the hard way what happens when your ONLY drone is in the shop) and was leaning to another H520 (I really like the First Responder package at VertigoDrones). But... IF I should really give serious thought to going over to the dark side...now is the time.

Sorry for the long post...and difficult assignment. Please don’t kick me off the site ?

Ready...Set...GO!

Reactions: JeorgheIT
I have also listened to the reviewers over at Drone University
I have watched some of those reviews. They are heavily influenced and biased toward a certain manufacturer. It happens to be the same one who offers very nice rewards for anyone who demonstrates favoritism. The rewards can be enhanced by doing negative reviews on competing products.

Generally these comparisons quickly degenerate into the "Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge" type reactions. It' simply best to research and determine what product best suits your needs and the one you feel comfortable with.

The 520/E90 is a very capable machine and is used very effectively for all those items you list. It does have this huge advantage: no geo-fencing, no NFZ and no need to get any approvals from Yuneec in order to fly. You don't need an account with the manufacturer and there are no forced updates. And you don't have to spend another $1100 for a display.

Like every model and every manufacturer, there are shortcomings and things that need to be changed or improved. Many of those are more of a nuisance and there are workarounds. I will acknowledge, however, I haven't a clue what the future holds for CS or updates. Yuneec insists they are currently addressing the issues raised in this forum. Also keep in mind that the two companies you mention are not the only ones capable of performing all of the tasks you list.

I have watched some of those reviews. They are heavily influenced and biased toward a certain manufacturer. It happens to be the same one who offers very nice rewards for anyone who demonstrates favoritism. The rewards can be enhanced by doing negative reviews on competing products.

Generally these comparisons quickly degenerate into the "Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge" type reactions. It' simply best to research and determine what product best suits your needs and the one you feel comfortable with.

The 520/E90 is a very capable machine and is used very effectively for all those items you list. It does have this huge advantage: no geo-fencing, no NFZ and no need to get any approvals from Yuneec in order to fly. You don't need an account with the manufacturer and there are no forced updates. And you don't have to spend another $1100 for a display.

Like every model and every manufacturer, there are shortcomings and things that need to be changed or improved. Many of those are more of a nuisance and there are workarounds. I will acknowledge, however, I haven't a clue what the future holds for CS or updates. Yuneec insists they are currently addressing the issues raised in this forum. Also keep in mind that the two companies you mention are not the only ones capable of performing all of the tasks you list.
Thanks Steve. All good points

Having the dedicated controller is another big reason I went with the H520. I really don’t want to fly “on” my iPhone or even my iPad.

I know of a few more companies out there but haven’t researched them as much. Any suggestions.

I’ve not been a player in the Ford vs. Chevy wars (Jeep guy...I guess some would call that Dodge maybe) but I have lived the Mac vs. PC wars (Mac guy although I work for IBM. Both platforms have their place). Was really hoping the platform partisanship wouldn’t hit the Drone space but alas that was naive.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Reactions: Steve Carr
As always I hate to agree with Steve Carr but he's right in that one always has to be a skeptic on whose writing the reviews to see how they're skewing the articles and follow the $.

With that said I've been in the IT business for 20 years and got out of it because at times I hate tech. I don't like being available with my cell phone 24/7.

I think DJI has always been at least 1 step ahead on their cameras over Yuneec products. Yuneec has always had the best gimbels. I think the 520 camera is a significant improvement over the 480's camera. When I purchased my 480 years ago I knew I was getting an inferior camera but wanted the redundancy of 6 motors.

I think back to when I purchased my 480 and realize how much I didn't know about drones. It truly is a Ford versus Dodge decision. I buy the Dodges because I know most everybody else is willing to pay more for the Fords. I also buy salvage vehicles which puts me way ahead of the curve financially.

It is truly a weird world where we buy everything chinese and long for the quality control that we used to have in the good old days in the US.

Last edited:
I will throw my 2 cents in for this one. I am in Israel and I am starting to do AG work. I had the H plus to start and traded up to the H520. One of the problems with Yuneec and AG is there is just now a multi-spectrum camera is coming on the market through a 3rd party. MicaSense you will need to figure out how to connect it to the drone and maybe get the triggering right. There are not many options that pair with Yuneec vs the others whom most other products say they will plug and play with. With the powerline inspections, the electric company here is using the new E10TvR, which is the thermal camera 640x512 and is getting amazing stills and video. First, it is a $10,000 or more camera at this time second, it is not out on the market at this time. I have this camera and am also using it to do AG and solar farm inspections. The solar is good because there are companies that know how to work with the picture and the data for analysis. As for the AG the only camera most companies that will analyze AG will work with the Micasence Altum that is also a $10,000. This is part of the struggle and challenges of owning the Porsche in the garage verse the Ford/Chevy/Jeep. A lot of the programs say they work with the other guys and no problems to do the evaluations of data but they do not want to work with Yuneec. I wish you the best and there is a few ways to make things work but it takes some effort to find solutions.

Reactions: thoneter
As always I hate to agree with Steve Carr but he's right in that one always has to be a skeptic on whose writing the reviews to see how they're skewing the articles and follow the $.

With that said I've been in the IT business for 20 years and got out of it because at times I hate tech. I don't like being available with my cell phone 24/7.

I think DJI has always been at least 1 step ahead on their cameras over Yuneec products. Yuneec has always had the best gimbels. I think the 520 camera is a significant improvement over the 480's camera. When I purchased my 480 years ago I knew I was getting an inferior camera but wanted the redundancy of 6 motors.

I think back to when I purchased my 480 and realize how much I didn't know about drones. It truly is a Ford versus Dodge decision. I buy the Dodges because I know most everybody else is willing to pay more for the Fords. I also buy salvage vehicles which puts me way ahead of the curve financially.

It is truly a weird world where we buy everything chinese and long for the quality control that we used to have in the good old days in the US.
Thanks!

I do "Project Management" in IT...so not exactly the "real" IT I did a decade ago when I ran a data center at a Rural Electric Coop. That said I realize because of the "advanced stage of grey" in my hair the PM work at IBM is probably my final gig in IT (ageism IS a thing...no use crying about it...just accept and move on, hence...). So therefore I'm trying to "move" into the Drone business. Its something that always interested me...and seems to be the "right" thing to do. Of course the more I proceed...the more "challenges, er...opportunities" I find.

And yes...don't get me started on the fact that ALL of this stuff seems to come out of China. If I thought it even remotely possible I'd try to round up a group of folks to "buy" a company like Yuneec and "do it right". Of course I have NO idea how to get them manufactured and supported here in the good ole USA and still keep the price point anywhere near what someone might pay.

Thanks again.

Reactions: thoneter
I will throw my 2 cents in for this one. I am in Israel and I am starting to do AG work. I had the H plus to start and traded up to the H520. One of the problems with Yuneec and AG is there is just now a multi-spectrum camera is coming on the market through a 3rd party. MicaSense you will need to figure out how to connect it to the drone and maybe get the triggering right. There are not many options that pair with Yuneec vs the others whom most other products say they will plug and play with. With the powerline inspections, the electric company here is using the new E10TvR, which is the thermal camera 640x512 and is getting amazing stills and video. First, it is a $10,000 or more camera at this time second, it is not out on the market at this time. I have this camera and am also using it to do AG and solar farm inspections. The solar is good because there are companies that know how to work with the picture and the data for analysis. As for the AG the only camera most companies that will analyze AG will work with the Micasence Altum that is also a $10,000. This is part of the struggle and challenges of owning the Porsche in the garage verse the Ford/Chevy/Jeep. A lot of the programs say they work with the other guys and no problems to do the evaluations of data but they do not want to work with Yuneec. I wish you the best and there is a few ways to make things work but it takes some effort to find solutions.
Thanks Smokin'

I'm just in the early stages of researching the possibilities of doing AG work. History story here: When I started work at IBM almost 8 years ago I had a former business associate ask if we could strap a camera under a fixed wing RC or helicopter and film his fields. I looked into it then. This was BFD, BeFore Drones "as we know them anyway,...quad-copters, Hexi-copters, etc)....oh...and it was illegal then too...unless you were doing it as a hobby. So...as I start trying to build my business...I'm looking into to many possible services to offer...AG seems a good one. Thanks for the heads up on the MicaSense. As I understand from other threads on these forums, Yuneec is "planning" a multi-spectrum camera. I so hate the word "planning" (and I'm a certified Project Manager).

And alas...at this point in business startup...$10K cameras are not really in the financial plan.

Thanks again. Good information I can use.

It is interesting and depressing that the popular electronic items are no longer manufactured in the US. We've lost our tech edge and the government has made entrepreneurs a difficult pursuit. It would be nice to see Yuneec, Autel and Intel get together and produce a hybrid but I'm sure that's wishful thinking.

Hello fellow Yuneec pilots. First thanks to everyone who has weighed in on my power failure(?) crash. I truly appreciate all the info I have received. I also so very much regret I haven’t kept up with reading the posts on this forum, it’s truly a treasure trove. Re-reading several other threads today I think I may possibly be to blame for my issue in that when I double checked the battery insertion I did NOT fully remove and reseat the battery (only lifting the latch to see if I could feel any looseness...I did not). So on that topic I shall await the verdict of Yuneec.

Meanwhile I wish to open this new thread to solicit the advice of this H520 community of Yuneec Pilots.

First I can say without reservation I LOVE my H520. Ive many years of fixed wing RC but had never flown a drone before (outside a simulator). So I was so very happy I could build skills quickly and feel comfortable with the bird in the air.

That being said upfront...the challenges of getting support from Yuneec and reading many of the threads on this site discussing the short comings of Yuneec’s offerings is making me ponder if I still want to remain in the Yuneec fold (or go with that “other” drone company). I realize that forums such as these tend to focus much more on problems/issues, rather than cheer leading the platform (Maybe a cheer leading section is needed :) )

Right now my drone business is very part time...but as my IT career comes to a close...I would like to move into it full time over the next 3 years and continue into at least semi-retirement. I’ve no thoughts to doing cinema work or even high end photo/video...just basic real estate type stuff but more so a focus on inspection work, perhaps eventually some Ag work and Search & Rescue would be most rewarding. Hence my initial selection of the H520 because of the multiple camera options and how easy they are to swap. I have the E90 (had), the E50, and the CGOeT. I’ve been training using all of them and feel I have made progress. FYI I live in Columbia MO but there are a lot of Rural Electric Cooperatives looking to do power line inspections. There’s LOTS of miles of power lines.

However reading many threads on this forum that discuss how the H520 cameras are inferior to options for DJI I’m wondering if I did indeed make the correct choice. I will say that anyone who has viewed my current videos are most impressed with the quality including a couple DJI Mavic pilots (yes the Phantom 4 would be a more equivalent platform to the H520). I have also listened to the reviewers over at Drone University who while liking the H520 also note it is NOT as capable as the P4.

Can the community here weigh in on the positives/negatives of the H520 vs what DJI offers? And just because I haven’t made this complicated enough...add a discussion of pros/cons of mapping capabilities of each.

I’m considering picking up a second drone (discovering the hard way what happens when your ONLY drone is in the shop) and was leaning to another H520 (I really like the First Responder package at VertigoDrones). But... IF I should really give serious thought to going over to the dark side...now is the time.

Sorry for the long post...and difficult assignment. Please don’t kick me off the site ?

Ready...Set...GO!

I like the H520 (as well as the H-plus), major improvement over the H480 in both craft behavior & camera... and a good 1" fixed lens camera. I personally don't think there's any difference with the H-plus 1" camera other than FW identification to limit or alter FW features. I have a H520; it has some great features & qualities. Although not used much but also not planning to sell... hopeful more features, payloads and 3rd party will become available in time... that's a gamble, if it gets bumped by Yuneec for a new platform... it'll end it's development. Although, on a hopeful side the H520 is the only Yuneec platform that has gained minimal 3rd party development, and continues to get consideration but in communicating with some of these developers it's not on their short list due to low market share or market demand. The other limitation is Yuneec's older Android FW on the RC, the processing power of the RC's FC and Yuneec's 3rd party limitations for Apps or the features available / permitted within the apps. Along the line of screen & processor; I would agree a phone is not acceptable... I use dedicated larger tablets (iPad Pro 10.5 / Tab S4) with strong processing capability and screens I can tilt in a preferred angle positioned above the sticks and able to fully enclose in a Hoodman's Hood on bright days. Although as pointed out.. that does come at an additional expense.

The H520 for commercial projects is more in competition to the Inspire 2 or M210 platforms. In that comparison, it lacks the MFT or FF S35 sensors and interchangeable lenses, particularly the ultra wide sharp lenses. But that also comes at an additional expense.

Several companies: Power line surveyors, Ag, Wind Generators, etc use the I2 or M210 and pretty much require that platform due to associated software or upstream company requirements. Some are beginning to use the M600Pro with LIDAR to inspect Power lines & poles. Vertical market such as Ag focused, you'll find multiple manufactures integrating both mount and software with M210 or I2 platforms. The MicaSense is a great sensor, several other companies offer upper line sensors: Slant and Sentera are strong players. The technology in Ag sensors is moving further than 4 camera Multispectrum to 6-8 camera / sensor. Another major variable in Ag corp work is the software and service cost associated to the software and the ability to provide useable files compatible with Tractor or Combine GPS, seed or chemical application electronics. The Sentera software FieldAgent is extremely good and the cost to operate as a small business is very low compared to any competition essentially making the others almost unrealistically high. Although Sentera focus primarily on the M210 & Inspire 1&2, they make their same sensors in a non-DJI gimbal mount to be used on any platform, including adaptive to the H520. The Ag industry has currently adopted the M210 and DJI Skyport integration as a standard to develop their high end products... the I2 may begin Skyport integration eventually.

I think you're discovering & struggling with the realities that market strength & direction determines product strength for development and the 3rd party development. The 3rd party apps & tools reinforce the market strength and purchase decisions. DJI holds about 75% market share, and has an architecture that provides development in multiple arenas: Ag, Mapping, 3D Modeling, SAR, Gas/Vapor, Inspection, Terrain / GEO collection, Roofing, etc... all specific focused apps developed for specific platform that the specific industries adapt. Many these programs operate "in substitution" to DJI GO Apps, eliminating some of the discussed "limitations" of DJI platforms. There are other very strong USA platforms & development in more specific vertical markets... and the cost reflects.

On another consideration, investment and operating cost as you build your small sUAV business. I've been able to acquire several DJI products at a substantial discount due to large market of pre-owned. The XT Radiometric 640 Thermal, XT2, X5S, X5R etc can all be found way below retail cost with a little patience & observation on Forums, eBay, etc.

You have several considerations ahead of you, especially if you're considering several of the sUAV focuses you've mentioned. Either way you go... I wouldn't get rid of the H520 yet, I'm optimistic that it has a productive future.

Reactions: arruntus
I totally agree with everything you say, except for the last paragraph. It's been a while since I've had that hope, it's not clear to me. Time passes and hardly anything moves :(

Hello Yuneec pilots! Hope you are all well as I am not so (yet again).

The very question about the future of my h520 applies to me as well.

Wanted to fly a bit this morning, had 4 batteries charged and went off flying. Everything was OK for ..... say 5 min. in the air.

Out of the sudden the st16s screen started to spin... First thought - birds stroke h520 (yes my ebee had been once chased by a pair of birds of prey at that location). Second - I must have collided with trees and my bird was falling down. Quick look into the sky showed that h520 was stable in the air clear of any trees and good 10-15 m above the highest ones. And the live video was still spinning.
Commanded (RTH) the drone to come back and when it was approaching me I could see that e90 was rotating in all directions. This stopped only after landing and turning off h520.

After powering the drone again gimbal was not moving by itself nor reacting to any commands from sticks/controllers. It will not calibrate either.

Camera seems to be working, green light is on, pictures are taken and stored on a card.

Gimbal is dead.

I am getting frustrated with my h520. Have had it since June this year and I already sent it twice for fixing (1. - sticks of the st16s not calibrating and 2. - landing gear not coming down for landing). It never crashed nor hard landed. It is becoming a kind of a nightmare to have a tool marketed as a professional one and hesitating every time I go for a job whether it will work or not.

I am on a verge of taking decision about selling it ...

All your comments will be appreciated. First question is whether I need to send the gimbal over to Germany for service to fix it.

Otherwise I will be happy to know your thoughts ...

I totally agree with everything you say, except for the last paragraph. It's been a while since I've had that hope, it's not clear to me. Time passes and hardly anything moves :(
I agree with your expression of no change or improvement... and it looks pretty bleak for the H520, possibly the Brand.

The aggressive USA policy move toward Chineese electronics or drone parts will have a stronger impact on Yuneec than the intended focus DJI. They have the finance pockets and market to literally relocate if needed to maintain; I question if many other Chinese companies can do the same... indirectly providing an outcome that strengthens DJI's market position in USA.

Realistically, unless USA competitive sUAV prices drop significantly, tariffs or trade policy dramatically increase or if DJI relocates enough to be a USA manufacturer the majority share won't shift much from DJI. I personally feel within the Govt there is an element working with DJI to succeed.

A similar trade offset occured with motorcycles in the 1970's.. USA cycles were all but dead until heavy trade off-sets and Govt Financial supplements got involved changing the market stance not so much the products. I now see Honda, Kaw, Suzuki, and BMW as USA made... same motivation.

That all said... higher in my post, I questioned if Yuneec will continue development on H520... and if 3rd party will adopt the craft... althogh I hold out with a little optimism... maybe dream?

Last edited:
Hi all! I've been mapping with the H520 in stock and augmented hardware PPK configurations for two years and would be happy to answer any questions. I just joined this forum though. I am on the flight Beta team with focus on surveying and firmwares.

The E10TV is available now at $7500.

Real-world practical use testing of firmware updates and the RTK option continues.

The E90 is every bit as good as the P4P and even better if you know anything about camera settings. The beauty of the P4P was the ease of use and the lack of the need for the user to know much of anything. The H520 is now our standard mapping platform.

Contacting support via email has never been a problem for myself or the other three pilots in my area. I would bet against the future being bleak.

Feel free to PM me any time.

Reactions: 7cyclops

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval