Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My little rant on Yuneec

Reaction score
I posted this earlier today as part of a reply in m20b's thread and realized I should have started my own thread, my apologies for I am knew to discussion threads as well as flying "real" copters.

I also have a TH in for evaluation/repairs. I received it as an early Father's Day gift on Sat., June 11. I spent the day reading instructions and watching videos, as this is my first non-toy copter and I didn't want to do anything wrong.
Sunday morning, I took it out for the first couple of flights, low level stuff to get used to the controls and copter and a quick trip up to around 200 feet. Landed without incident and proceeded to go through the charging process for the battery, including the cool down. As it takes an average of 2+ hours to recharge,I decided that it would be a good time to charge the controller and the Wizard wand. Charging complete, time to check out more features. I wanted to check out the video capabilities, so I inserted the card and took her up high enough to do a 360 pan of my property. Brought her back down and checked out the video. I was disappointed, as the video was very choppy, so back to the online videos. After learning how to adjust the video settings, back out for another try. I send her up to treetop level and let her hover. Press the video button and nothing, press it again and nothing. I scan the screen and everything appears normal, no warnings, alerts, or attention vibrations. I glance up at the copter and all appears well so I try the video button a few more times and still nothing. All of a sudden the copter goes silent, I look up and helplessly watch as it falls to the ground and smash into many pieces.
Monday, June 13, working with my retailer, I contact CS. They tell me to send the controller so the techs can check the telemetry to determine if it was user error or something that would be covered by the warranty. I mentioned it might be better to send both the copter and controller, since the copter is going to need to be repaired regardless of the cause of the crash, and she (CS) agrees. I spend $40 to send it to Yuneec and it is confirmed as being received on June 24 via email. About a week passes with no further contact from them, I figured they were busy, so I send an email inquiring if anything had been discovered yet. I received a response the same day that stated "We have not yet completed the necessary repairs. Our repair team will be in contact with you if needed. Thank you for your patience. Have a Yuneec day!". I think to myself, "Does this mean they have determined that it was a glitch and they are covering the repairs under the warranty?" June 30, Another email to CS inquiring just that, and a response couple days later (July 2) informing me that it was deemed a "Customer Crash" and was not covered by the warranty and the repair techs would be in contact for payment information. I now inquire (same day) on how to find out the cause of the crash so I know what I did wrong, as to not have a repeat incident. I hear nothing back until yesterday (July 8) and it is a quote for the repairs, so I call CS and leave my contact number. They returned my call this morning wanting payment. I recapped the whole scenario and was told to call back on Monday when the techs would be in. My thoughts are that I should not have to pay for the repairs unless they can prove that it was me who caused the crash. Also, if it is this easy to crash this copter, then their videos are a bunch of (Beep beep beep). We shall see what Monday brings though. I am really looking forward to getting my H back and learning how to utilize all of her capabilities.

Stick with them, DO NOT LET THEM intimidate you! If what you stated are facts, you did nothing wrong! tapping the screen will not kill the motors at all, tell them you did nothing wrong and you want PROOF of how they can blame you, ask for a manager and hopefully they will reverse their decision, won't be the first time !!!

Last edited:
DroneClone is right. Ask to speak with a supervisor. The telemetry would tell them if something was wrong with the H but it would also show what the controller was doing. There a separate telemetry files for the H and the controller.
As far as the video record button.........I was having a problem with that and saw a post to just give it a quick tap. That works and I haven't had any further problems.
It's too bad you had a problem with the H. It is a great bird and it will take great videos. There is a definite learning curve on the camera settings. If nothing else lock the white balance.

Reactions: Zayne Larson
Thank you both for the tips, I will keep them in mind when I get my bird back.
Forgot to mention your choppy video. If you were recording in 4K the problem is likely your pc. Few pc's have a good enough video card to play 4K video. Most will play 1080p including mine. I downloaded this player so I can view 4K without any problems:
Downloads · MPC-HC

Forgot to mention your choppy video. If you were recording in 4K the problem is likely your pc. Few pc's have a good enough video card to play 4K video. Most will play 1080p including mine. I downloaded this player so I can view 4K without any problems:
Downloads · MPC-HC
That is what I had figured was the problem and was going to test the theory when the crash occurred . Thanks for the info and the link, unfortunately it won't work for me, as I run Mac/Apple products.

Well, it's Monday and I have made my call to Yuneec. The technician claims the telemetry says there was low voltage and it tried to land itself but since it was so high (I guess I didn't realize 25-30 feet was so high) that it turned off and crashed. I was looking at the screen the entire time, with the exception of twice when I glanced up at the H.... and the second time was when my attention was drawn there due to lack of sound because it had turned off. It is a good thing I am still flexible, because it looks like I am going to have to grab my ankles and take this one in the rear. I will definitely NOT be giving any good reviews or recommendations for Yuneec or the Typhoon H. I understand it is a new product and there will be bugs to work out, but it should not be at the customer's expense.

Reactions: Comandante
Well, it's Monday and I have made my call to Yuneec. The technician claims the telemetry says there was low voltage and it tried to land itself but since it was so high (I guess I didn't realize 25-30 feet was so high) that it turned off and crashed. I was looking at the screen the entire time, with the exception of twice when I glanced up at the H.... and the second time was when my attention was drawn there due to lack of sound because it had turned off. It is a good thing I am still flexible, because it looks like I am going to have to grab my ankles and take this one in the rear. I will definitely NOT be giving any good reviews or recommendations for Yuneec or the Typhoon H. I understand it is a new product and there will be bugs to work out, but it should not be at the customer's expense.
If thats what actually what happened, the battery was fully clicked inplace and they claim 10m was too high to land from a low battery, and unless you are going to get legal smeagol which I would do, there is a H body on eBay for $400, this could be cheeper than giving them what they want for repairs. BRAND NEW YUNEEC Typhoon H 4K Collision Avoidance Hexacopter Drone Only
Reports on their Facebook page say they are under loads of stress and understaffed with the volume of repairs, I'd say that the source for their short dealings with you.

Zayne, did you purchase with an American Express? They will cover the cost under their buyer protection you get for all new purchases...

Purchase Protection - Frequently Asked Questions - American Express®
Purchase Protection can help protect your purchases for up to 90 days from the date of purchase if it is stolen or accidentally damaged. The coverage is limited up to $1,000 per occurrence, up to $50,000 per Card Member account per calendar year.

Well it looks like legal Schmegal won't be necessary, the repair tech called me just a moment ago to inform me that they ARE going to warranty repair my H. Not sure if there was some miscommunication previously, or if they took a second look at the telemetry and found something that was overlooked, or something completely different. To me it matters not and, as of right now, I am a satisfied customer. Thank you all for your advise and sharing your knowledge. I will update with progress reports. Thanks again to all.

Good luck, ZL, keep up the good work and keep us informed as to eventual outcome, please.

Well it looks like legal Schmegal won't be necessary, the repair tech called me just a moment ago to inform me that they ARE going to warranty repair my H. Not sure if there was some miscommunication previously, or if they took a second look at the telemetry and found something that was overlooked, or something completely different. To me it matters not and, as of right now, I am a satisfied customer. Thank you all for your advise and sharing your knowledge. I will update with progress reports. Thanks again to all.

Sweet, maybe they do monitor these forums and did not want the bad PR.

Reactions: banned user
Good luck, ZL, keep up the good work and keep us informed as to eventual outcome, please.
They sent me a new bill of sales with a zero balance due and a message informing me that the inspection team has it now to run their tests before they send her back.
Again, thank you everyone for you words of wisdom and support.

Today I received the tracking number for my H's return home. Yay. I hope this is what is to be the norm for Yuneec.

Reactions: Jussaguy
My H is home, but didn't get much time to check her out before leaving for Florida. I did have the battery charged when she arrived so I took her up for a couple quick flights.

They forgot to return the camera card, so I tried one that I had setting about.... no dice, not sure if it is a compatibility issue or what. I guess I will wait for the one they are sending to arrive, then I will see how the camera works.

On the second flight I briefly tried out the obstacle avoidance by letting her hover about a meter off the ground and approaching from the front.... also a no go. I am sure I was doing something wrong and will look into it further upon my return.

Well, I guess that is it for now. See you in a week

They tell me to send the controller so the techs can check the telemetry to determine if it was user error or something that would be covered by the warranty. I mentioned it might be better to send both the copter and controller, since the copter is going to need to be repaired regardless of the cause of the crash, and she (CS) agrees.

The CS and tech I worked with wouldn't even offer an RMA, needing to first go through all the emailed telemetry files, which doesn't really alleviate matters considering the long repair times and the matter that the unit is still broken regardless of what the telemetry says. If only Yuneec decided to work with me instead of against me during one of my many calls or emails, then I'd still be a Typhoon proponent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval