Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My low tech solution to knowing where I'm pointing

Reaction score
So was out in some gusty wind last couple days and at distance with he gust was having issues keeping drone straight and keep track of the front. Was also bright so seeing arrow on screen was difficult. Tonight I had a simple idea based on the led lighting that works well at night.

We'll see how it works on next flight and I can make a little more permanent.

Attachments

• 20181021_211259.jpg
    20181021_211259.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 85
Looks like it might work. Keep us updated. I have 4 of those Husky boxes ! How do you like them ?

Husky box is great. A little bulky and awkward getting up and down stairs, but otherwise it's great. Holds my Q500, my breeze, charge and extra box of blades with room to spare. Fits in back my car perfectly.

If they aren't bright enough I'm thinking yellow/orange reflective tape might work better.

Husky box is great. A little bulky and awkward getting up and down stairs, but otherwise it's great. Holds my Q500, my breeze, charge and extra box of blades with room to spare. Fits in back my car perfectly.

If they aren't bright enough I'm thinking yellow/orange reflective tape might work better.
Wow ! They do hold quite a bit in them. Yeah, I think some reflective tape would help them stick out more. Thanks.

I put one of these on the battery lid with Velcro. You can see this thing at least a mile away. They are located in the UK but I've gotten most parts from them in about a week. It's a great self contained strobe and very small but lasts for hours.

STROBON Standalone - Flytron

Reactions: BigAl07
I put one of these on the battery lid with Velcro. You can see this thing at least a mile away. They are located in the UK but I've gotten most parts from them in about a week. It's a great self contained strobe and very small but lasts for hours.

STROBON Standalone - Flytron

Steve do you sell or know of any Strobon mounts for the H520 series of aircraft? I've got half a dozen of the Strobon units but I just need to find a way to securely mount them to the aircraft.

Steve do you sell or know of any Strobon mounts for the H520 series of aircraft? I've got half a dozen of the Strobon units but I just need to find a way to securely mount them to the aircraft.
I have these. They work on the H as well. Be sure to select the Standalone flytron if your's has the battery. They also make a mount for the Q500.

3D PRINTED

Update: the Orange sticker do not work well. At distance they are almost impossible to see. I will try reflective tape next. Strobes don't work for me in daylight. Will update if I find something that works.

Update: the Orange sticker do not work well. At distance they are almost impossible to see. I will try reflective tape next. Strobes don't work for me in daylight. Will update if I find something that works.

While they won't have the same effect as night but I can tell you from first hand experience, up to a certain amount (except a bright cloudless day) they do enhance visualization.

Reactions: Steve Carr
While they won't have the same effect as night but I can tell you from first hand experience, up to a certain amount (except a bright cloudless day) they do enhance visualization.
I agree. I have used them primarily during the day. If the h is below the tree line at a distance it disappears. The strobes help keep it in view.

I agree. I have used them primarily during the day. If the h is below the tree line at a distance it disappears. The strobes help keep it in view.

That's very true. Even if it's only a slight glimmer of a flash it can catch your eye at great distance.

I've not ordered the mounts for the H yet but we have used them for a couple of years on our Phantoms and Inspires aircraft. In fact our SOP mandates they are required for our Emergency Services sUAS operating on the state (NC) level even during daylight ops.

I can 100% guarantee you that a bright Light Emitting device is going to give a a WHOLE lot more visibility at distance than a reflective tape/material day and night.

I've used Velcro to mount them in the past so it's easy to transfer between birds. Never had one come loose.

The Strobons above are good, but if you get these strobes below you will be able to visualize them more, because each mount has 2 strobes.

CREE Dual Strobes

I have these. They work on the H as well. Be sure to select the Standalone flytron if your's has the battery. They also make a mount for the Q500.

3D PRINTED
I did a mod to add strobes to my H which work of the flight battery and cost next to nothing. Maybe that will help. Here’s a link to a tutorial I made on how to add them.

I can still see it 900 meters away. In the dark I’m sure I’ll be able to see it ever further out.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my