Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Nasty Pollen and Drone Control

Reaction score
Does any Yuneec Pilot have concerns about his or her drone takeoff in a field or other grassy area where there is heavy tree pollen coating the ground? I wonder if the pollen being blown up into the drone body from prop wash finds its way into the sensitive electronics board (what I would call the "mother board") and coats any wiring, transistors, other components. Is there a possibility of contamination that in some weird way degrades communication between the transmitter and the drone? And if there is that possibility, would there be a chance of a fly away or other loss of control, such as loss of the GPS signal lock?

Where I live in Southeast Georgia on a 367 acre farm, there are hundreds of pines, oaks, poplars, and other tree varieties pumping out huge amounts of dusty, yellow pollen. It covers everything. Revving up the props on my drone creates a lot of force and any ground pollen gets blown everywhere, including on my drone. What I am bothered by is where this pollen ends up: on the drone body, on the prop arms, and possibly inside the battery compartment. Pollen grains carry an magnetic charge. Not being an electrical engineer, I would hesitate to say which charge, positive or negative. However, the sensitive electronic components inside the drone do have an electric charge, albeit a small one. If pollen grains carry a negative charge and the components a positive charge, will there be a "marriage"? I really am not certain. However, my Yuneec Q500 4K is brand new and expensive. Do I wish to tempt Mother Nature and fly during the pollen season, taking a chance that all of this is just a theory? Definitely Not! I will keep the 4K in the "hangar" and wait until all the pollen is gone. Other Yuneec pilots can do as they wish.
If anyone of them can offer a different theory that shoots down mine, then I might reconsider what I believe.

Sincerely,
New Yuneec Pilot

i would not worry about all you noted , as long as your camera lens is clean and your drone fly's and hold's position and has GPS lock , have fun enjoy your flights . you could just buy a box of wipes for the dust LOL . a lot of pilots fly in dusty areas and at the beach don't worry just fly it . you will have your drone for a long time , have fun with it you won't be sorry .
fly safe

Dust is not the same as grains of pollen. As a former member of a UAV forum, I raised this issue with the Administrator. He felt that there was some truth to my theory. Later on, an electrical engineer weighed in on my concerns, presenting quite a detailed explanation of pollen and its propensity to carry both sides positive and negative electrical charge, depending upon how pollen its source.

Therefore, your uninformed and somewhat flippant response illustrates an uneducated viewpoint about the electronics operating inside a drone. The electrical current that various components conduct do qualify as as a concern.

Consider the paint booth at Ford, or General Motors, or Chrysler. The vehicle body is made to carry a negative charge by running a current through the metal. Computer-controlled robotic sprayers spew out the paint as very fine particles, which carries a positive electrical charge. Since opposites attract, the minute paint particles gravitate to the metal body of the vehicle. This attraction is the reason the paint then coats the vehicle.

I am not suggesting that pollen grains behave as paint particles and cling to the electronic components but there exists that possibility. I spent a considerable amount on this Q 4K drone, after losing a Blade Chroma 1080P to an unexplained fly away and catastrophic crash. I am not about to fly this one during the pollen season in deep southeast Georgia. And for you to blithely sound off in the manner you did suggests that you have little knowledge of potential problems of the pollen count, which on any given day can be over 1000 parts per cubic meter. It's better to think before you put your foot in your mouth.

Jim

Well since I live in South Carolina also on a large lot with ample pollen from all of the same sources as you, plus salt air from the ocean 2 miles away to add to that, I think as a Q500 4K pilot and a materials engineer with 40+ years in microelectronic component design and manufacturing and an ample knowledge of electrical charges, it would seem to me an apology to NPR Trains may be in order. While he offers no engineering basis for his response, he is basically right when he states "
a lot of pilots fly in dusty areas and at the beach don't worry just fly it . you will have your drone for a long time , have fun with it you won't be sorry. fly safe". Pollen counts here are over 1K/cu. meter regularly and this year it has started very early with a vengeance. I fly a lot in high pollen conditions, in dusty pollen filled construction sites, over the ocean and the intra-coastal waterway. Three flights this week were curtailed not due to pollen but wind. I also "play" with several other electronic gadgets, including RC cars and planes in this environment without incident. If you were to disassemble your Q, yes you will find pollen residue on the electronic boards and components and even on the battery connections. If you also check these components with the proper test apparatus, you will find no effect or difference in readings pre or post cleaning of the components. It is advisable that once you have flown in especially harsh pollen conditions to take your Q and using an air compressor, preferably with an in-line moisture filter, to thoroughly blow any residue from your bird, taking care not to linger too long on any one component. Open the battery door and blow it out as well. I also take a small battery operated component vacuum with a soft bristle brush and vacuum off the bird.
We have all spent "considerable amounts" as you put it on our toys and certainly do not put them in jeopardy without good cause. The examples you cite regarding hydrostatic and electrostatic painting processes are so different from the pollen issue they have little to no relevance to the conditions you question. The charges are induced and not naturally occurring and are at far higher levels than anything remotely possible from pollen. I would encourage you to fly your bird, enjoy the hobby and don't get too caught up in all of the hypotheticals that cause you to lose flight time and enjoyment for fears not based in anything that might cause another loss of a bird as nice as the Q500.

Reactions: NRRTRAINS
As an afterthought, if the pollen issue keeps you from drone flying 1-2 months a year in the spring and also likely a month or so in the fall, perhaps you might like to join us as Corvette owners so you can "fly" year round. Another fun hobby.

Well since I live in South Carolina also on a large lot with ample pollen from all of the same sources as you, plus salt air from the ocean 2 miles away to add to that, I think as a Q500 4K pilot and a materials engineer with 40+ years in microelectronic component design and manufacturing and an ample knowledge of electrical charges, it would seem to me an apology to NPR Trains may be in order. While he offers no engineering basis for his response, he is basically right when he states "
a lot of pilots fly in dusty areas and at the beach don't worry just fly it . you will have your drone for a long time , have fun with it you won't be sorry. fly safe". Pollen counts here are over 1K/cu. meter regularly and this year it has started very early with a vengeance. I fly a lot in high pollen conditions, in dusty pollen filled construction sites, over the ocean and the intra-coastal waterway. Three flights this week were curtailed not due to pollen but wind. I also "play" with several other electronic gadgets, including RC cars and planes in this environment without incident. If you were to disassemble your Q, yes you will find pollen residue on the electronic boards and components and even on the battery connections. If you also check these components with the proper test apparatus, you will find no effect or difference in readings pre or post cleaning of the components. It is advisable that once you have flown in especially harsh pollen conditions to take your Q and using an air compressor, preferably with an in-line moisture filter, to thoroughly blow any residue from your bird, taking care not to linger too long on any one component. Open the battery door and blow it out as well. I also take a small battery operated component vacuum with a soft bristle brush and vacuum off the bird.
We have all spent "considerable amounts" as you put it on our toys and certainly do not put them in jeopardy without good cause. The examples you cite regarding hydrostatic and electrostatic painting processes are so different from the pollen issue they have little to no relevance to the conditions you question. The charges are induced and not naturally occurring and are at far higher levels than anything remotely possible from pollen. I would encourage you to fly your bird, enjoy the hobby and don't get too caught up in all of the hypotheticals that cause you to lose flight time and enjoyment for fears not based in anything that might cause another loss of a bird as nice as the Q500.
thank you for answering New Yuneec Pilot questions and fears also an apology is not needed from New Yuneec Pilot as he can do what he wants . this site is here to help others and new pilots learn and not criticize people that are helping others .
fly safe and have fun with your Vette i know i do .

thank you for answering New Yuneec Pilot questions and fears also an apology is not needed from New Yuneec Pilot as he can do what he wants . this site is here to help others and new pilots learn and not criticize people that are helping others .

Thanks for that defense of not flying during excessive pollen output. I will do as I wish. And that veiled smarmy criticism I don't care for in the least.

New Yuneec Pilot of Q500+4K

I

I have all the time in the world to fly in non-pollen seasons. And, I would rather be safe than lose my drone to what you call a "hypothetical." Mr. "Expert" does not feel as if pollen is a serious problem. Well, I strongly disagree. I fly in a very large 65 acre field, bordered by a huge swath of pines. I can see clouds of pollen drifting across my flight path every day. I will stay grounded until the season is done.

New Pilot.

Reactions: Ryan82

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval