Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Need help deciphering telemetry file...

Reaction score
Was afflicted with the dreaded toilet bowl today, TH ended up upside down, luckily only one prop broken, and I have spares. Had no trouble downloading the telemetry file, but I don't know what all the values and numbers mean. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere that would tell me what normal values/numbers should be, and what the abnormal ones mean? Thanks.

Dave

Was afflicted with the dreaded toilet bowl today, TH ended up upside down, luckily only one prop broken, and I have spares. Had no trouble downloading the telemetry file, but I don't know what all the values and numbers mean. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere that would tell me what normal values/numbers should be, and what the abnormal ones mean? Thanks. Dave
If you experience the TB the telemetry won't give you much helpful information. If your calibrations are good and you have waited before launch to get good satellite connections, the problem can be either the GPS module or the Flight Controller. I will send you a PM.

Uh, I have a sneaking hunch that the issue was my fault. I updated the TH and camera/gimbal FW last night, but didn't clear the Flightdata, which means I didn't have to re-bind bird and camera, then to add insult to injury, I didn't do the compass calibration this morning, either :oops:. I did download and install UAV Toolbox tonight, the flight telemetry showed multiple compass errors right at the beginning, that I totally missed because I was messing around with other stuff. Will recalibrate the compass in the AM, will report the results when I have them.

One, possibly dumb, question that might have a bearing. I was flying around my shop, which is a 30' x 40' steel building. I never had the building between me and the TH, but I was flying next to it, and was standing within 20' or so when it started getting squirrelly. Contributing factor, or just coincidence? Thanks.

Dave

....... the flight telemetry showed multiple compass errors right at the beginning, ........

I almost always get a couple compass errors at the beginning and end of my flights.....they always coincide exactly with operating the landing gear. I ignore them.

Uh, I have a sneaking hunch that the issue was my fault. I updated the TH and camera/gimbal FW last night, but didn't clear the Flightdata, which means I didn't have to re-bind bird and camera, then to add insult to injury, I didn't do the compass calibration this morning, either :oops:. I did download and install UAV Toolbox tonight, the flight telemetry showed multiple compass errors right at the beginning, that I totally missed because I was messing around with other stuff. Will recalibrate the compass in the AM, will report the results when I have them.

One, possibly dumb, question that might have a bearing. I was flying around my shop, which is a 30' x 40' steel building. I never had the building between me and the TH, but I was flying next to it, and was standing within 20' or so when it started getting squirrelly. Contributing factor, or just coincidence? Thanks.

Dave
@daved20319
Anytime you are close to any metal objects, in ground or above, you most likely will encounter control issues. The metal bounces around signals and at time gives out delayed, false and mixed readings back to your ST 16 and H. Some folks when flying inside a metal building will turn off the GPS, but it still can be a bit "squirrelly".

Reactions: h-elsner
Most of the values in the FlightLogs are explained here in Chapter 3:
http://h-elsner.mooo.com/mydat/Q500log2kml_en.pdf

For deeper analysis of the floght logs I use this (guess why):
http://h-elsner.mooo.com/downloads/q500log2kml_en.zip

If compass errors lasting less than2 sec it's OK in the most cases, but in case of unusual flight behaviour a compass calibration is always a good idea. I do also an accelerator calibration in such cases.

br HE

Very cool program, DoomMeister thinks highly of it, and I can see why. One question, is the download Mac or PC? Thanks!

Dave

When the H is circling, it's because the flight controller is navigating to a position, but the compass is not pointing the right direction to get there.
This is likely from magnetic interference in flight or during compass calibration.
This flight was a home built quad whose compass came loose.
crazy compass- flight path.png

Reactions: h-elsner
When the H is circling, it's because the flight controller is navigating to a position, but the compass is not pointing the right direction to get there.
This is likely from magnetic interference in flight or during compass calibration.
This flight was a home built quad whose compass came loose.
View attachment 14615

Never quite got around to building an autonomous drone, have all the parts, might get around to it someday, but I'd need a new radio. Too bad the ST16 can't be used as a universal radio, although I do miss my Taranis, being able to program EVERYTHING just the way you want it is pretty awesome.

I'll admit, I'm a little bit confused, why does GPS still need a compass input? Seems to me that that functionality should be part of the GPS signal, and thus not be dependent on or affected by magnetic anomalies. Guess I better stop taking it for granted and do some deeper research on the GPS system. Later.

Dave

Reactions: Sureshot
Most of the values in the FlightLogs are explained here in Chapter 3:
http://h-elsner.mooo.com/mydat/Q500log2kml_en.pdf

For deeper analysis of the floght logs I use this (guess why):
http://h-elsner.mooo.com/downloads/q500log2kml_en.zip

If compass errors lasting less than2 sec it's OK in the most cases, but in case of unusual flight behaviour a compass calibration is always a good idea. I do also an accelerator calibration in such cases.

br HE

Does the manual in the second download apply to my TH Pro? Obviously new at this. Thanks!

Does the manual in the second download apply to my TH Pro? Obviously new at this. Thanks!

The second download is the program and the pdf manual explains the program and how to use it. It works with most if not all of Yuneec’s UAV’s. I have personally used it to analyze telemetry from the Breeze, Mantis Q, Q500 series, TH, TH Pro, and TH Plus. Thanks to @h-elsner many have had the data in a form that they can prove equipment failure instead of pilot error.

This program saves hours of manually perusing telemetry files. It is without a doubt my go to program for analyzing telemetry from Yuneec products.

Latest versions for "q500log2kml" are for Windows 64bit and LINUX 64bit.
Windows64bit: http://h-elsner.mooo.com/downloads/q500log2kml_en.zip
LINUX 64bit: http://h-elsner.mooo.com/downloads/q500log2kml_en.tar.gz

There are older versions for Windows 32bit (Win XP) and a native binary for MAC OS X (Intel). I'Äm not a MAC guy and cannot test it, so this is more experimental.

Windows32bit: http://h-elsner.mooo.com/downloads/q500log2kml_en32.zip
MAC OS X: http://h-elsner.mooo.com/downloads/q500log2kml_Mac-englisch.zip

It's a lot of effort to maintain all this versions and except Win64 it's little used. Thus I primary maintain Windows version with the latest features. But for all legacy Yuneec copter like Q500, Typhoon H, Blade Chroma there is nothing new since V3.8. All further development was for Typhoon H plus, Mantis Q and H520 ( the PX4 flight controller).

br HE

Never quite got around to building an autonomous drone, have all the parts, might get around to it someday, but I'd need a new radio. Too bad the ST16 can't be used as a universal radio, although I do miss my Taranis, being able to program EVERYTHING just the way you want it is pretty awesome.

I'll admit, I'm a little bit confused, why does GPS still need a compass input? Seems to me that that functionality should be part of the GPS signal, and thus not be dependent on or affected by magnetic anomalies. Guess I better stop taking it for granted and do some deeper research on the GPS system. Later.

Dave
With RC stick input the FC will use the GPS information to compute the new lat/lon.
Then the FC has to fly the plane to that spot.
The trick is, it has to know which way the plane is facing so it can get there.

Picture yourself standing in a grid blindfolded.
You get a new grid location to walk to.
You need your (compass) bearing to calculate which way to turn & walk.
Without it your intermediate grid locations will be off path and you will zigzag, then circle as you get close.
Add a little GPS drift to the location and you will circle continuously.

So if I'm following you, the compass is there simply to tell the FC where the aircraft's nose is. But once it starts moving, the GPS should be able to calculate the vector, and thus the heading, needed to get to the new coordinates, or am I still missing something? I can see it being a bit more complicated with a multi-rotor or rotary winged craft, since they can fly any direction as well as hover, but it still feels like a compass is somehow redundant. Or is that the real reason it's still there, if GPS goes out, at least a compass gives you the possibility of finding your way home via dead reckoning? Not trying to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curios and, obviously, still confused o_O. Later.

Dave

So if I'm following you, the compass is there simply to tell the FC where the aircraft's nose is. But once it starts moving, the GPS should be able to calculate the vector, and thus the heading, needed to get to the new coordinates, or am I still missing something? I can see it being a bit more complicated with a multi-rotor or rotary winged craft, since they can fly any direction as well as hover, but it still feels like a compass is somehow redundant. Or is that the real reason it's still there, if GPS goes out, at least a compass gives you the possibility of finding your way home via dead reckoning? Not trying to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curios and, obviously, still confused o_O. Later.

Dave
I don't think "the compass is there simply to tell the FC where the aircraft's nose is" is accurate. Say you wanted to fly due north. The ST16 would leave the GPs longitude values alone and increment the latitude and communicate the change to the H. But the H would not know which way to head unless the compass was calibrated to take into account the magnetic declination. If the compass value was incorrect it would start in the wrong direction, see the error in longitude and correct for it but there would be a need for continuous corrections until the new GPS value was reached. That's what I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss