Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New age, new perspective.

RPR

Reaction score
National Geographic has been using aerial photo and video since the age of electric RC flight, and presently has a drone academy, and is one of the FPV racing sponsor, recruiting and hiring drone pilots around the globe. FPV drones are slowly getting attention in Hollywood, as well as in construction. KB Homes and TollBrothers media team are now contracting FPV operators to capture amazing new perspectives to advertise their homes. The Dubai buildings has been scaled, and we have seen its beauty in the most amazing way, and I embrace the kids that we call nuts, and crazy (because we were once like them) are doing amazing stuff, beyond comprehension. I am very excited that the new generation of pilots are keeping the industry alive, and NatGeo got the drone community sparked up, when the hired the young Canadian FPV champion, Gabriel Kocher.

Here's a leak BTS on Instagram of NATGEO new feature film that will air soon.

Last edited:
My son just sent me video of his flights this past weekend with the 83 gram FPV drone he built. He is an excellent pilot and was flying through woods and around the golf course near him. There were parts of the flight where he was flying through the underbrush and you would have thought he was walking with a gimbal mounted camera. The soaring, diving, and tight turns achievable are amazing.

Wish I still had the reflexes and motor skills for that type of flying.

Reactions: RPR
My son just sent me video of his flights this past weekend with the 83 gram FPV drone he built. He is an excellent pilot and was flying through woods and around the golf course near him. There were parts of the flight where he was flying through the underbrush and you would have thought he was walking with a gimbal mounted camera. The soaring, diving, and tight turns achievable are amazing.

Wish I still had the reflexes and motor skills for that type of flying.

My son is the same, he has one made by BeSpoke Rotors that does is under the FCC regulations, because he does not have his HAM Lic. The drone is still fast, and we fitted it with a Naze 32 and during flips the baro just holds the drone dead on it's place. Our bench is 350ft alt, and 1,900 lat. before loosing transmission, I am trying to get my son a gig, with CalAtlantic, Lennar's agents and media team, but I am afraid that my son does not yet have what it takes, because he still makes drastic decisions. I have flown his FPV twice, it takes getting used to, but it is not for me, I get a massive headache after flying, and since he is in his rookie stage, it is also a financial headache... But, hey!! I've been there, done that.. LOL

When we stop to think about it, our military was in a way among the first to promote the use of FPV drones. ABout the time it started to become popular with modelers our military was jumping on the wagon as well. All those little Raven's and Puma's were and are in effect FPV as they are for the most part flown using the video screen, and many different systems have emerged since then. Even much of the larger stuff, although initially programmed to follow a pre-programmed flight plan, are usually diverted from the flight plan as on screen imagery provides cause for the operators to fly them through the camera, completely off the flight plan.

It's pretty clear those that desire to be as good as they can be piloting any kind of drone will have to become skilled in many areas.

My son is 38 and works in IT and loves tech toys (I have NO IDEA where he gets that from). He is a very grounded person and has been a self motivator since middle school. He got his ham ticket to be legal with his FPV’s and likes building and flying them as they are a lot less expensive (and much less noticeable) than the birds we fly.

I’ve tried flying his, but he has them setup for acrobatics. I get confused flying them as I am used to flying flight sims, and airplane controls are drilled into 60 year old muscles (not quad copters). If I ever get into the small ones like that, I’ll set them to fly more like our photo drones.

Treasure Island, San Francisco is a hub for renegade FPV racers, and every time I work there, I see these guys specially on the weekends. I don't call the cops or security on them, instead I just let them be and watch them do their thing, they do some fun hairy stunts. My son's very first FPV racer is an EMAX Tinyhawk RTF, I fly it from time to time, when I'm bored, but it is so darn tiny that I fly into things, and I'm not even using the goggles.

And oh.... I just recently got perception glasses I'm a +1.25 and my wife told me that I look like an old man already.. lol

Reactions: Jal7884
It's pretty clear those that desire to be as good as they can be piloting any kind of drone will have to become skilled in many areas.

This is spot on. The thing is, most drones are super easy to fly. But flying them well is a different story. That starts with not bumping into stuff. Like your house, trees, etc. New guys get a very false sense of security due to how easy most drones are to operate at a basic level.

A little exercise I do is to fly around the redwoods in my back yard. I have 4 of them very close together and they are great fun and good practice to fly around and through, down by the trunks of course. Up in the branches would be an example of poor pilot judgment ?trees.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred Garvin
There was a street cook in Bangkok by the name of Jay Fai, who uses unconventional methods of cooking, other chiefs think less of her. With unprecedented turn of events, she received a Michelin star as a street vendor.

Moral of the story... We can never steal someone or people’s thunder.

Treasure Island, San Francisco is a hub for renegade FPV racers, and every time I work there, I see these guys specially on the weekends. I don't call the cops or security on them, instead I just let them be and watch them do their thing, they do some fun hairy stunts. My son's very first FPV racer is an EMAX Tinyhawk RTF, I fly it from time to time, when I'm bored, but it is so darn tiny that I fly into things, and I'm not even using the goggles.

And oh.... I just recently got perception glasses I'm a +1.25 and my wife told me that I look like an old man already.. lol

The next time my son is out there on business I’ll tell him to go there and check out the FPV scene on T. I.

The next time my son is out there on business I’ll tell him to go there and check out the FPV scene on T. I.

Every weekend they are there. By the port or near the firehouse.

My son and I joined their meet up group.

This is spot on. The thing is, most drones are super easy to fly. But flying them well is a different story. That starts with not bumping into stuff. Like your house, trees, etc. New guys get a very false sense of security due to how easy most drones are to operate at a basic level.

A little exercise I do is to fly around the redwoods in my back yard. I have 4 of them very close together and they are great fun and good practice to fly around and through, down by the trunks of course.

I practice slow, precise flying much more than just going up for some laps around the park. With my Mavic Air, I leave the back door open....fly around the back yard, around and over the house....then through the door and into the house...through the kitchen, upstairs, downstairs, into rooms....then back out the door and around the house again. It’s a challenge because it sometimes switches to ATTI Mode inside.....then back to GPS lock outside. It’s a lot of fun, but it’s also very slow, very precise.....pinpoint control.

Another exercise I do out at the park......I have 4 landing pads....I’ll put 3 of them out 50-100+ yards away at various points....and fly over and try to land on them. It’s quite a challenge in depth perception for the closest ones and using the camera to look down and land on the most distant ones.

I practice slow, precise flying much more than just going up for some laps around the park. With my Mavic Air, I leave the back door open....fly around the back yard, around and over the house....then through the door and into the house...through the kitchen, upstairs, downstairs, into rooms....then back out the door and around the house again. It’s a challenge because it sometimes switches to ATTI Mode inside.....then back to GPS lock outside. It’s a lot of fun, but it’s also very slow, very precise.....pinpoint control.

Another exercise I do out at the park......I have 4 landing pads....I’ll put 3 of them out 50-100+ yards away at various points....and fly over and try to land on them. It’s quite a challenge in depth perception for the closest ones and using the camera to look down and land on the most distant ones.

What kit do fly?

What kit do fly?

Mavic Air in and around the house....and for fun. It’s my “Personal Selfie Fun Drone”. It’s an amazing little guy really. I can take just it and a battery or two with me when I’m out....on the bike or whatever....fits in a pocket....well, a cargo pocket anyway. I can control it with gestures, no controller. I can position it anywhere within about 25’ of me and 15’ up. It’ll follow me around, taking pictures or video. The controller is pocket sized and can use my iPhone XS Max and then it functions like any other drone. It was a brilliant buy for my intended use.

Typhoons otherwise.

Mavic Air in and around the house....and for fun. It’s my “Personal Selfie Fun Drone”. It’s an amazing little guy really. I can take just it and a battery or two with me when I’m out....on the bike or whatever....fits in a pocket....well, a cargo pocket anyway. I can control it with gestures, no controller. I can position it anywhere within about 25’ of me and 15’ up. It’ll follow me around, taking pictures or video. The controller is pocket sized and can use my iPhone XS Max and then it functions like any other drone. It was a brilliant buy for my intended use.

Typhoons otherwise.
Great little craft, but high pitch. These bring it down a lot, makes it not so loud for others walking around.

Also made for Mavic Pro

Got ‘em...2 sets....and yes, they do bring down the pitch and noise very noticeably.

I have yet to get the current error in Sport Mode that others have reported.....but I’m not that aggressive with it.

Myself as well, and this is my play toy since selling the Spark last year. I’ll do tight spins & ascends... a quads version of RC Heli pirouettes, full speed ahead, full spin, etc. Haven't gotten any error either. BTW... the Spark “felt” faster in spins and maneuvers. The Air is still a fun one and a good RF Interference tester too.

I really like mine....DJI came through with this one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold