Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New FAA Advisory, 91-57B

This is a preview of what the FAA will incorporate into the FARs. For now it is an Advisory Circular which carries no weight of law. From the document itself:

1.1 Effect of Guidance. This guidance is not legally binding in its own right and will not be relied upon by the Department of Transportation (DOT) or the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) as a separate basis for affirmative enforcement action or other administrative penalty. Regardless of whether you rely on this guidance, you are independently required to comply with all existing laws applicable to the operation of unmanned aircraft. Conforming your actions with this guidance is voluntary and nonconformity will not affect any right or obligation under any existing statute or regulation.

So basically don't screw up, but get used to this because it will be in the FARs sooner or later.

Pretty soon we'll all be criminals if we want our drones to be more than paperweights

At the recreational and small commercial levels I tend to agree. Watch for a rapid increase in regulatory efforts aimed at the small players as the number BVLOS corporate players increases.

That’s what all the negative press and regulatory stuff has been about to begin with. Clearing the air for the people that spend big money on buying government officials.

? I can here Taps in the background.?

Resale values are going to brick also as people get out of the hobby.
So sad, and we just have to wait and let it happen.:mad::confused::eek:

Again, AC 91-57B is not an actual law or regulation right now. But it is absolutely the handwriting on the wall in the sense that this is what the FAA intends to put into the FARs.

And NOBODY reads any of this crap except the few who care. I'll bet 90% of sUAS flyers who picked one up to take family pics or video up at the cabin or stuff in a backpack don't know, don't care. So the guidelines, rules, usage requirements largely mean diddly squat to the vast majority of drone users.

This is eventually going to create a crap vortex of massive proportions because rule makers keep changing/updating/altering/specifying while 90% of the flying public doesn't have a clue. These guys (FAA) are trapped in their own information bubble and don't realize most flyers rarely (if ever) look at any of their advisory notices.

They''re not dealing with pilots who spent thousands of $$ to get licensed or dropped $30K on their first airplane so are hyper involved with most aspects of flying and legalities. Most sUAS flyers are folks who dropped $1k (or less) on a toy and never give it another thought. So endless chattering of FAA releases, changes, future plans, only serve to further deaden the interest of casual sUAS users in staying informed and compliant.

Make it hard for the average user of anything to be informed, and you create uninformed users. Simple dynamic that escapes most government entities.

Last edited:
The real problem is that they aren't targeting what they need to target if they're truly interested in people following the rules. Why can I wander in to Best Buy and walk out with a drone, and be flying it that evening? The salesgoober certainly isn't going to tell me that there are a bunch of rules I have to follow because that might cost him a sale, and he's not legally required to.

If I buy a car, I have to show the dealership my driver's license. If they let an unlicensed person drive a car off the lot, they'll get in hot water. Why is it not the same for aircraft of any sort if the FAA really cares about regulating drones?

And I know, I could buy an airplane tomorrow without having to display a pilot's license, but the deterrent there is that if I'm not a real pilot, I'm probably going to die if I decide to go for a joyride in a Cessna. Not so with drones.

The end result is that those of us who care about following the rules face far more difficulty and annoyances than those who do not, which is an automatic disincentive for many to following the rules if they even find out that rules exist at all.

If the FAA really wants compliance, they need to push to make drone sales to un-licensed (either rec or 107) people unlawful.

Add $5.00 to the selling price and handle FAA registration at the point of sale. That links the buyer and aircraft to the FAA system and information sources, eliminating later excuses. If they are already in the FAA system, no problem as the $5.00 would be used to cover the sales agent’s time spent in refreshing the buyers memory about operating rules.

You'd have to codify that in law, because there's no way the stores are going to want to do it. The $5 is nothing, but if people find out that they have to study and take a government-mandated test to fly legally, 9 times out of 10 they'll buy a Playstation instead.

Which would be a good thing, but the stores certainly aren't going to back the idea.

For hobby since the registration is a single number for all aircraft the POS should only require showing proof. Same with showing your proof of passing the FAA test. I see no reason not to require that. Show either hobby test proof or Part 107 certificate. Makes sense to me. Retailers won't like, but too bad.

When you look at high drone sales today, due in large part to selling to a lot to complete novices, or people in need of the next big thing or shiny object. We are essentially in a bubble. That bubble will burst and sales will plummet to what I see as a more realistic target market, where the only people buying are the true enthusiasts/hobbyists/photographers/videographers.

The drone manufacturers definitely won't like it and a lot probably won't survive, but in the end I think that's what will happen.

Along with that should be a drop in air traffic and air incidents which could negate the need for further regulation and enforcement.

It might even be great for the RC industry as a whole which might even start bringing back scale helis and planes.

I am brand new here. Amazon delivery of packages by drone, is that going to be in the mix ? Bezos is a political insider that will make sure he has clear airspace for delivery. I am close to a Typhoon Plus purchase. I figured I will not be able to enjoy my rod and gun club soon as it seems gun confiscation is around the corner. I decided getting a better drone could replace my shooting competition. Give me a break !

• Wow
Reactions: DoomMeister
Democratic super majority Oregon … you need a lawyer with you fishing here to read the regulations. I buying that Typhoon Plus anyway ...

I am brand new here. Amazon delivery of packages by drone, is that going to be in the mix ? Bezos is a political insider that will make sure he has clear airspace for delivery. I am close to a Typhoon Plus purchase. I figured I will not be able to enjoy my rod and gun club soon as it seems gun confiscation is around the corner. I decided getting a better drone could replace my shooting competition. Give me a break !

I am not too concerned about confiscation. But they are going out of their way to take the fun out of shooting for sure. We now have background checks to buy ammo here in California. What kind of shooting comps do you do? I shoot USPSA.

And don't worry too much about Amazon, etc. It will be some time before that becomes a reality.

Get the H+, have some fun.

..... We now have background checks to buy ammo here in California.......

Daaaaaaang.........I get ammo at Walmart when I buy groceries......

Daaaaaaang.........I get ammo at Walmart when I buy groceries......

We can too. Just pay $1 per transaction ( 1 round or 1 million) and wait an extra 30 seconds. Still annoying. I hate "feel good laws" that look good and feel good to the authors/public, but in the end do no good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval