Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New test with Typhoon H Real Sense in Germany.

Wowowow... this is where the wizard is going to come into its own. Following someone without needing direct line of sight, automatically figuring out how to get round obstacles so you really can just go for a run. It was pretty impressive how it avoided that spindly tree - it looks like it'll spot pretty small objects and get safely around them. And then because the camera is independent of the Real sense stuff, it looks like it can orbit you whilst still avoiding collisions. This goes beyond party trick stuff into properly useful technology.

That'll explain why Intel wanted to invest so much into Yuneec. This looks fantastic.

Reactions: Rayray
Wow that looks impressive and how it coped with those spindly branches too, now lets see Tom's Tech Time rubbish this collision avoidance system like he did on just about every Typhoon H feature available, it certainly looks like Intel backed a winning combination, this must surely give the Typhoon H a huge beneficial potential now for all sorts of applications using the H with a great added safety feature.

Yes that was very impressive video using Real Sense lets hope that it integrates smoothly with existing H. I would think (hope) Yuneec will be a little more cautious about releasing the module until it fully test with existing birds. Since the packages (pros) will be shipping first. Either way I'm looking forward to it, hope they come out with real pricing soon not just the speculation pricing everyone has been coming up with. I think with most reviewers they seem to make direct comparisons with DJI products and highlight those and some are very legit but the H has advantages of the phantom 4 they just gloss over those or call them a gimmick. Like the 360 Gimbal yes on the DJI you can yaw the craft but on the H you don't have to I could see some great shots using this function even as a single pilot. I think the more and more users fly the drone they will be unlocking more of its potential. Yes the camera needs work to get up to par but its not horrible. I've seen some of the work Frankie has done and it is impressive. In the end whatever done you prefer and works for you then use it by all means its your money.

Last edited:
I thought it had a range of 10m? It seems to get very close to even the large tree covered in foliage before stopping abruptly then moving around it. Shouldn't it react like the video promo and anticipate obstacles then reroute the flight path, not fly right up to things, stop and move around? Won't make for great video with all the sudden movements.

I make some tests when I've got it. My own property, where I fly, there are many trees and woods.

I have seen what the Intel RealSence module is capable of seeing and its impressive. I think yuneec will have to tweek their firmware to make it better but on Intel's end the power and capability is there. We just have to wait and see how it goes on the integration.

Reactions: Rayray
I have one on pre-order. This is about the 4th new video I've seen for a real-world RealSense H, and this one is very impressive.

Naysayers will remain naysayers, and inevitably it will have bugs, as do any newly released hardware or software products. But hang on to your hats, fellers, it's gonna be a heck of a ride. The DJI-Yuneec battle is on, and no matter which you have, we all will benefit from their competition.

It cracks me up that the video is already attracting a bunch of down-votes. The hate is strong...

There are also a several very questionable cuts in that video at very select moments. (I get that it's all a work in progress right now.) Gonna let this one shake out a few months and see where she goes.

I love the tech and I love living on the bleeding edge. I just may have to wait for the clot drugs to be released on this one first though.

A Realsense follow me mode. I like it I think it used the IPS also.

Can you give an example of where you think the video is trying to hide something?
They don't give a continuous video feed from the H camera to see how the actual footage looks. It's removed in lots of places.

It looks like the H makes very sudden, jerky changes to the flight and comes to a halt very often, rather than the smooth, intelligent flight path in the official announcement video. The props and arms showing in the video reflect the jerky movements.

It is obviously tested today by Yuneec Europe. So it may not take long before it is on the market.

They don't give a continuous video feed from the H camera to see how the actual footage looks. It's removed in lots of places.
Just because they don't have the H camera inset everywhere doesn't mean they are trying to hide something -- you can see the Typhoon's movement from the the vantage point of the second drone.
It looks like the H makes very sudden, jerky changes to the flight and comes to a halt very often, rather than the smooth, intelligent flight path in the official announcement video. The props and arms showing in the video reflect the jerky movements.
True, the flight path isn't as smooth as in the video that Yuneec released earlier this month. That could be due to Thomas trying to bait the Typhoon into flying into obstacles though. Flying smoothly around the large trees would require early changes in the flight path, something that the chosen Follow Me distance may not have allowed for.

Overall, the video is very promising.

It'll be interesting how much you can 'tune' the behaviour - how close it'll get to obstacles before avoiding them, how fast it tries to go around them and which direction it takes. Obviously people will be able to come up with situations that it won't cope with, but it's the same for any 'smart' system like this. Tesla can tell you all about that...

I believe the RealSense H is released in several European places. This video is not a pro job, IMO. These guys have other vids on Utube. This video uses 3 cams, the subject RealSense H, someone on the ground, and another copter up high, and switches between them. As the RealSense surveys obstacles and decides a direction of travel, the drone does pause, turn this way or that so that RealSense always faces front. This may appear "jerky", but I doubt that the video is jerky.

WF may be referring to :38 seconds in, as a cut occurs when the RS H avoids a small tree, and appears to drift toward a large tree on the left. Given the overall context, I do not think that indicates deceit. They could have easily edited that out.

The DJI Inspire went down some $1000 in price recently. As I said earlier we will all benefit from the competition. The market is exploding right now, and both companies should also benefit. More volume = lower prices and innovation.

I believe the RealSense H is released in several European places. This video is not a pro job, IMO. These guys have other vids on Utube. This video uses 3 cams, the subject RealSense H, someone on the ground, and another copter up high, and switches between them. As the RealSense surveys obstacles and decides a direction of travel, the drone does pause, turn this way or that so that RealSense always faces front. This may appear "jerky", but I doubt that the video is jerky.

WF may be referring to :38 seconds in, as a cut occurs when the RS H avoids a small tree, and appears to drift toward a large tree on the left. Given the overall context, I do not think that indicates deceit. They could have easily edited that out.

The DJI Inspire went down some $1000 in price recently. As I said earlier we will all benefit from the competition. The market is exploding right now, and both companies should also benefit. More volume = lower prices and innovation.

That's one example. There's another around the 1:00 mark where it's headed towards that aluminum light pole. There are several places if you watch it closely.

I'm not implying intentional deceit. Not at all. Quite the contrary. I think the tech is there and is headed in the right direction. Like many things in life, v.1.3 may be better than v.1.0 :)

The brakes do occur at some strange places though. You have to admit that.

Yes, it was headed towards the light pole, but the question is whether it collided with it or avoided it. If it avoided it, flying towards the light pole at the time that the video cut to another scene isn't really a problem. I totally agree that I wish they had done the cut a couple of second later just to see how the Typhoon responded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis