Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New User/ Flyer help

i got everything planned, brought props fixed everything and went to park to fly it a bit. i planned to keep it low and feel it out. but then something unexpected happened. it just went out of control and flew away (on its on). i changed mode to home, hoping it would come back but kept on going. so finally i picked smart mode and tried to bring it down where it was ( all this within 10 secs).
Broke all props, damaged cgo cable and i don't know what :(
it was windy but only 7km. i know it is a long video but wanted to post it as is, to show i didn't do any stunt. you can skip to 2 min mark and start watching and see what happens at 2.23 mark.
please help me out as i am going crazy.

i did switch the mode, once put it to home as well. but last minute or so was smart

no fence, it was pretty high. Can't talk about interference, its a play ground next to school. No cell towers in 500 meters.

i find it strange that it just took off in one particular direction and didnt stop.

i find it strange that it just took off in one particular direction and didnt stop
How long was it sitting on the ground after you turned it on but before you started the motors? This really looks like a GPS issue.
Also, on the ST10 look under the battery and see if there is a micro sd card installed in the slot.

Reactions: khanlov
it was sitting there for 2 minutes. I did see 'Ready' on the ground station.

I did put a card in before taking it out. did a format on it before installing

it was sitting there for 2 minutes. I did see 'Ready' on the ground station.
I did put a card in before taking it out. did a format on it before installing
That's good remembering to install a card. That is where the telemetry gets recorded.
If I were to make a guess, I think it didn't have time to finish updating the GPS. If you look back at post #17 on this thread, I suggested waiting 13 minutes on the first flight.
I know this is painful to crash on the first time out. It's possible there are some faults with the GPS but you won't know until you give it enough time to update.

If you get the cable to connect to your PC then you can check the system in the GUI.
You could also get the telemetry file from the sd card in the ST10. You can upload it here by adding a ".txt" to the end of the file name.

this was the biggest file in telemetry folder

i should've waited but guess was too excited. what boggles my mind is 'what the **** happend after 2 minutes.
sure will be scared to go out next time.

this was the biggest file in telemetry folder
i should've waited but guess was too excited. what boggles my mind is 'what the **** happend after 2 minutes.
sure will be scared to go out next time.
The first thing that is see is almost constant compass errors. Did you see an orange flashing status light on the back of the Q? Did you do the compass calibration?
It also says GPS not used but there are 18 sats found.

You will definitely need to connect this to your pc and check it with the GUI.

Reactions: khanlov
i did the compass calibration.
did see the green flashing light as well.
gps not used. that is strange.

I'll order the cable and connect it to pc and get more info on that from you.

thanks steve

Got the usb interface. Connected it and all sensors are working.
i did re calibration and the light changed to pure purple.
turned it off and back on, now flashing red and green.
Any advise?

Last edited:
When you did the compass calibration, was the nose pointing north? I have seen people pick up their drone with north pointing south not knowing what is considered the nose. What makes me think this is your 360 turn just before the drone took off. So maybe the compass is defective. I calibrate my ST-10 about once a month as well as compass calibration. Now that it has crashed, you will have to calibrate it all over. The other thing I might point out is when you bought it, it had obviously crashed from the previous owner...most likely a fly-away. So you may just be chasing an issue with the drone from before. Your ST-10 may have information stored as to what communication there was. Sometimes a bargain isn't such a bargain...

Reactions: khanlov and Rayray
Completely agree with your observations Joeman, except that i pointed it north for sure.
While someone pointed out at hobby shop that hitting home might have triggered it to go in other direction, where supposedly home was.
i am not too worried about drone crashing, its like an old car that i am learning to drive :)
one new issue i noticed yesterday, while doing diagnostics. the camera connects initially but after a while get error even though the st10 is couple of meters away.

Update:
Went to calibrate bird, did everything as in instructions but right after i finish and place it on ground, main LED turns purple (smart mode) and gets disconnected from ground station. All telemetry data disappears. it does not restart either.
After i turn it off and back on, everything comes back and main led flases orange, green, orange, green, purple(blue?).
flashing orange and purple in angel mode.
Any advise?

Last edited:
went out again today, did calibration atleast 5 times. Every time after i finish calibration led turns solid purple (smart mode) and it disconnects from ground station with no telemetry data. Restart it after a while, now the light is green for 3 seconds with one purple flashing (smart mode), and purple with orange flash in between for (angle mode).
GUI shows everything ok.
i've literally hit a dead end.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33