Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Yuneec drone MANTIS Q

Reaction score
This might be a fun little toy to carry around in my boat.

Last edited:
800m range which will probably be more like 400m in reality.
Nothing new here. It's a 2016 drone being released in 2018.

electronically and live stabilized over all three axes ....... aka (what no gimbal on camera). Can Tilt only. Looks like a fixed camera mount with tilt. Naaaa.. Nothing special here other than it's using the PX4 system which is updated and improved all the time. (unlike our "H" which is now aging with no updates).

This might be a fun little toy to carry around in my boat.
Probably not. taking off a drone in GPS mode while drifting does not work well. You need something that can take off in altitude mode then switch to gps mid-air.

Why?

Just curious.
Because even if you are anchored a boat swings, so if hand launching it means as the drone takes off the GPS coordinates drift. It will then shoot back to "correct" to the old coordinates which are different from the current location. My breeze did this, then disconnected from my controller and "landed" in 40' of water.

My hubsan on the other hand - take off in altitude mode, send it straight up, switch to gps. Worked like a charm.

Because even if you are anchored a boat swings, so if hand launching it means as the drone takes off the GPS coordinates drift. It will then shoot back to "correct" to the old coordinates which are different from the current location. My breeze did this, then disconnected from my controller and "landed" in 40' of water.

My hubsan on the other hand - take off in altitude mode, send it straight up, switch to gps. Worked like a charm.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your reasoning.

It leads me to think you are launching in very windy conditions, if your boat is "drifting" at a rate fast enough to throw off GPS.

If you are saying the "return home" will remain at launch point, while during flight your boat drifted a bit... that I can see. Time to employ either a second and/or third anchor, or... if in a pontoon, get the Sea Legs (trademarked brand).

:cool:

Jeff

Wind was less than 5mph. Most boats do swing while on anchor. Even when "still" there is enough movement to cause issues.

If you could switch to gps mode mid flight that would make me feel a lot better, but the breeze doesn't do this.

There's enough motion anyway that landing has to be done manually (at least on a sailboat with standing rigging and few flat, open spaces)

Yuneec Mantis Q:
You can buy it now ($499) on Amazon.com. It has omething like a 30 minute flight time.

https://www.amazon.com/Yuneec-Manti...6683042&sr=8-1&keywords=yuneec+mantis+q+drone

Also available at Vertigo Drones (U.S.) since last week. Mine arrived yesterday.

Looks like it will do exactly as I expected: give me an option when all I “need” is some stick time and want to leave the H’s in the hanger, plus have something discreet to take along on trips when I figure a) I might want something to do - flight-wise, and b) just might want to try for an aerial shot of something.

Do I expect it to compare to my H480s or H520? Heck no. Don’t want it to, let alone need it to.

Jeff

Last edited:
With the original mavic pro hitting $599, this is a tough sell... Better flight time, but lower resolution, no gimbal.

But it does have a gimbal. Just not a 3-axis one.

Word is already out there about a 3-axis gimbal in the works. For my needs, I had to buy now.

If the 3-axis becomes a reality, and is worth the cost, I may upgrade. But until then, I will use and enjoy what is currently available and not fret.

Jeff

But it does have a gimbal. Just not a 3-axis one.

Word is already out there about a 3-axis gimbal in the works. For my needs, I had to buy now.

If the 3-axis becomes a reality, and is worth the cost, I may upgrade. But until then, I will use and enjoy what is currently available and not fret.

Jeff
It's a servo used for tilting the camera, not a gimbal used for stabilization which is what 99% of people mean when referring to gimbals on drones.

Other than flight time, there are no reasons to get this over the discounted mavic pro.

Yuneec missed the mark by a couple hundred bucks on this one. 299 and it would be reasonable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech