Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Newbee

Reaction score
Hi to all - just found site few days ago, really impressed with all info available on here

Tried out the Metal Detecting lark - Now time to spread my wings as they say
Tried out a few ( Drones ) still undecided if I should take the plunge with a H520, or a Typhoon H plus
But H520 seems far to Pricey even without a camera, and there are very few i have seen used, or indeed up for sale in UK - any Genuine Reason for this ???

What are your intentions with a drone,?
This will depend if a 520 or H+ fits your needs

Hi Thanks for reply

Coming up to semi retirement - So was thinking a bit of fun and part time work if it presented itself
understand I would need a PFCO for any commercial work in UK though

always enjoyed outdoors so it also gets me out of the House ( weather depending of course ) after all this is the UK - Not really sure about the smaller drones ie: Mavic pro or Phantom etc as always have impression they are to fragile and toy like

Regards

Welcome Skyman!

I was going to lead with “Heck, why not start with the typhoon H (480 version)” but decided a friendly salutation would be a better start.

The sentiment still remains, if you are just now starting out. Good price on the kits these days; maybe half that of the H+? Don’t need to go hog wild on all kinds of accessories right away. Just get your feet wet and see if your passion is ignited.

Can always move up to the Plus or even H520, or whatever might be around the corner.

Wasted investment if you do upgrade later? Heck no! Lot of fun flying just for the heck of it, let alone someone always looking for resale.

Just a thought.

Jeff

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Yuneec Pilots forum. I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Yuneec quadcopters.
Enjoy the forum!
0ROJYyg.png

@FlushVision can explain the pro's an con's about business in the UK. I'm over the other side of the bigger pond.
Just seen this post. I'be been busy this last few days with little time for forums.

Regarding a drone business in the U.K. Yes, you will need a PfCO and to get one isn't a cheap exercise. Depending on the training organisation, the ground school course and operational assessment can easily cost you well in excess of a thousand pounds, then there is the cost you pay to the CAA to have your Operations Manual assessed before they may (or may not) grant you a PfCO. Then before you are legally able to conduct commercial operations you will need to have insurance in place at least to the cover demanded by the CAA...this will cost at the very least over £400.00. Then factor in the aircraft you decide to use (and remember that if you are gonna approach the job seriously, I advise to have two aircraft at least) the total could easily be in the region of £3000.00 and that's with just one aircraft before you take to the air with your first commercial flight!!!

But then you must ensure that you manage to at least cover your costs...otherwise you just haven't got a business. My experience is that to get jobs paying well enough to cover your costs is progressively getting harder as time goes on, and in recent months I have not been doing enough jobs to cover my expenses. Therefore I don't have a business anymore and I am letting my PfCO go...I will not be renewing it. This because I find that some hobby pilots are taking work at very low paying rates and without the necessary insurance cover and are undercutting the legal operator...so much so that I simply cannot compete and meet my overheads. There is work for a commercial operator, but only the operators who are servicing a niche sector and are using equipment that is generally out of reach of the hobby pilot.

My advice to you is save your money and just enjoy the hobby flying, unless you plan to service the sector that is beyond the reach of the hobby flyer...but to do that you will need aircraft and cameras costing magnitudes above the prosumer level of aircraft.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the input etc, Have decided I will get an H plus, Main use will be for pleasure although as semi retired would like to think I could use for other small projects if asked,

seems really far to expensive at my age to start Training Course for a PFCO - as above post its not guaranteed and Commercial costs are somewhat expensive to say the least

Thanks for all the input :mad::mad:

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the input etc, Have decided I will get an H plus, Main use will be for pleasure although as semi retired would like to think I could use for other small projects if asked,

seems really far to expensive at my age to start Training Course for a PFCO - as above post its not guaranteed and Commercial costs are somewhat expensive to say the least

Thanks for all the input :mad::mad:
Remember that if you receive ANY consideration, both monetary or otherwise, for an aerial operation, you will need to have a PfCO and commercial insurance. So even for a 'small project', if you receive any consideration for undertaking it and you don't have a PfCO and insurance, you will be no better than the hobby pilot taking a job off a legal operator and breaking the (admittedly so far un-policed) law.

It's a feather in your cap having a PfCO. Certain parts of the regulations covering drone use are relaxed and you are able to fly legally in places that the hobby flyer legally can't. For example, the 150m rule for flying in a congested area is relaxed to just 50m, but the costs involved are overwhelming unless you can get paying jobs at realistic rates to cover those expenses. So you must ask yourself: 'Is it worth the initial thousands of pounds it will cost for the legal privilege of being able to fly 100m closer to that group of houses?'.

A small note: You are not guaranteed the be granted a PfCO by the CAA. That is a given. However, when I first went the PfCO route the instances of people being refused a PfCO were not very common. Often, after a first refusal, people were able to get one granted by a simple re-working their Operations Manual to get a successful assessment of it. But as time has moved on those refusals are becoming more common as the CAA is becoming stricter. I have heard that some pilots have been refused repeatedly and each refusal will cost money.

My advise to anyone reading this is to think long and hard...and make sure you have very deep pockets.

Remember that if you receive ANY consideration, both monetary or otherwise, for an aerial operation, you will need to have a PfCO and commercial insurance. So even for a 'small project', if you receive any consideration for undertaking it and you don't have a PfCO and insurance, you will be no better than the hobby pilot taking a job off a legal operator and breaking the (admittedly so far un-policed) law.

It's a feather in your cap having a PfCO. Certain parts of the regulations covering drone use are relaxed and you are able to fly legally in places that the hobby flyer legally can't. For example, the 150m rule for flying in a congested area is relaxed to just 50m, but the costs involved are overwhelming unless you can get paying jobs at realistic rates to cover those expenses. So you must ask yourself: 'Is it worth the initial thousands of pounds it will cost for the legal privilege of being able to fly 100m closer to that group of houses?'.

A small note: You are not guaranteed the be granted a PfCO by the CAA. That is a given. However, when I first went the PfCO route the instances of people being refused a PfCO were not very common. Often, after a first refusal, people were able to get one granted by a simple re-working their Operations Manual to get a successful assessment of it. But as time has moved on those refusals are becoming more common as the CAA is becoming stricter. I have heard that some pilots have been refused repeatedly and each refusal will cost money.

My advise to anyone reading this is to think long and hard...and make sure you have very deep pockets.

Much appreciated,
I Have Worked for myself most of my career, so know how hard jobs/contracts are to come by and I would not even consider taking a job or contract from any Legal Operator.
My main issues/questions - would it be worthwhile for me pursuing a Pfco for part time jobs if I was asked, and the general consensus would be far to expensive

Regards

Much appreciated,
I Have Worked for myself most of my career, so know how hard jobs/contracts are to come by and I would not even consider taking a job or contract from any Legal Operator.
My main issues/questions - would it be worthwhile for me pursuing a Pfco for part time jobs if I was asked, and the general consensus would be far to expensive

Regards
Hi.
As I've previously mentioned, the initial cost of becoming a commercial operator will run into the thousands. But after that first outlay the costs of maintaining an active PfCO diminish significantly...currently around £600.00/year if you opt for the cheapest insurance which will set you back at least £425.00, but more if you need to spend money on maintaining your aircraft or replacing it. So, forgetting the initial costs, you will need to turn over anything up to a thousand pounds a year just to break even and, essentially, work for free. Doing it on a part time basis when asked will not let you break even...not by a long shot. This last several months I have not been on target to break even. I did get a good spell in August but it fizzled out.

The bottom line is that the market is saturated with operators using prosumer aircraft who are trying to make a living against abundant recreational flyers who will do jobs on the cheap...or even for free and thus severely undercutting legal operators at the prosumer level. You could get lucky and land a good contract but it is cut-throat out there.

What would rely help the legal operator would be if the authorities started clamping down on these illegal operators but, so far, the CAA has not stepped up to the mark. They lay down the rules but are slow to enforce them in this regard.

(all comments I've made on this subject are aimed with regard to the U.K. market and law. It may be different in other countries)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval