Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Newbie Questions

Reaction score
Been looking at a couple drones and the Typhoon H is at the top of my list. However, I would like to ask everyone some questions about the drone & flying it. BTW, I’m not a Troll, just a future Typhoon H owner maybe, so don’t burn me at the stake.

First, I’ve never flown a drone, so all of this is pretty dang new to me. Second, I currently make video’s of my ATV rides and my plans for using the drone are to add some different looks to my riding video’s, using the Track Me and Follow Me modes.

So here are some of my questions …

1) I read a review from an owner (not on this site) explaining about starting to fly the drone. And doing a calibration of the drone. Is this “Calibration” required every time you start the drone up to fly ??

2) Using the drone with or while riding the ATV, I ask if the ST16 controller is dust proof ?? or waterproof ?? Can I use it in light rain conditions ?? What about in the winter when it’s real cold ??

3) Is the Typhoon H dust & waterproof ?? Or is the drone a “Fair Weather Bird” only ??

4) Does the Wizard Wand control only the flight of the drone or will it also start & stop video recording ??

5) Does the controller sun shade come in the basic package ?? If not, is it really needed ?? (I’m thinking I may need it to block sunlight on the screen. And making a holder to mount the controller to the front rack of my ATV)

I appreciate any responses to my questions. It’s just the cost of the drone is fairly steep & I want to make sure I can use it as I intend instead of just having an expensive toy sitting at home while I’m out riding my ATV.

GunnyE9

Been looking at a couple drones and the Typhoon H is at the top of my list. However, I would like to ask everyone some questions about the drone & flying it. BTW, I’m not a Troll, just a future Typhoon H owner maybe, so don’t burn me at the stake.

First, I’ve never flown a drone, so all of this is pretty dang new to me. Second, I currently make video’s of my ATV rides and my plans for using the drone are to add some different looks to my riding video’s, using the Track Me and Follow Me modes.

1) I read a review from an owner (not on this site) explaining about starting to fly the drone. And doing a calibration of the drone. Is this “Calibration” required every time you start the drone up to fly ?? With Yuneec and H no, only if you travel far from point of last calibration, 100 miles or so to be safe in my book!

2) Using the drone with or while riding the ATV, I ask if the ST16 controller is dust proof ?? or waterproof ?? Can I use it in light rain conditions ?? What about in the winter when it’s real cold ??No, never fly in rain, will kill your bird, instead of ST16, use the Wizard for follow me and other functions, it has a water proof/dust proof cove(after you learn to fly it well!) It will be fine in cold weather, snow, as long as not below 20 degrees manual I believe states

3) Is the Typhoon H dust & waterproof ?? Or is the drone a “Fair Weather Bird” only ??Fair weather bird only, cloudy, overcast is fine, but it is definetively not water proof as with almost all drones!. Can handle alittle dust, but if trailing a ATV and blowing alot of dust on to it, it would not be well for motor bearing and circuitry. Almost all drones are not water or dust proof! I believe there is one or two drones that claim waterproof, but I cannot tell you anything about them!

4) Does the Wizard Wand control only the flight of the drone or will it also start & stop video recording ??Flight only mainly, you may have minimal camera functions as on/off, start/stop recordings now or in future.

5) Does the controller sun shade come in the basic package ?? If not, is it really needed ?? (I’m thinking I may need it to block sunlight on the screen. And making a holder to mount the controller to the front rack of my ATV)It does in first release H's and I am almost sure it is also with them now, It doesn't work to well, especially with sun at your back!, but you can buy a glare screen saver that helps alittle. If you plan to do rough riding, you will definetively want to use the Wizard, as the ST16 is quite bulky!

I appreciate any responses to my questions. It’s just the cost of the drone is fairly steep & I want to make sure I can use it as I intend instead of just having an expensive toy sitting at home while I’m out riding my ATV.

GunnyE9

Reactions: GunnyE9
I wouldn't take the ST16 on an ATV. That would be risky. The Wizard is intended to be used for the purpose you explain and should work quite well. Since you aren't familiar with copters, I suggest you get a practice model that you can crash all day long and not hurt it. Get one with altitude hold so it will be easier to learn the right stick functions. I love playing with my JD509 for that purpose.
Most serious photo and video platforms are not going to like rain. Light mist and fog will usually work, but the camera is the most expensive part and it is the first to see damage, plus if the lens gets wet you video is scrap anyway. Cold temps aren't a huge factor. I've flown in some very cold and snowy conditions. You'll find the limiting factor is your fingers. BTW, there is no advantage to starting and stopping video. I start on launch and stop on landing.
Considering what is available on the market, this is a good choice for making high quality video when using the Wizard. Just keep in mind you still need some decent pilot skills to fly and land if GPS drops out. Doesn't happen often, but it can.

1) I read a review from an owner (not on this site) explaining about starting to fly the drone. And doing a calibration of the drone. Is this “Calibration” required every time you start the drone up to fly ?? With Yuneec and H no, only if you travel far from point of last calibration, 100 miles or so to be safe in my book!

2) Using the drone with or while riding the ATV, I ask if the ST16 controller is dust proof ?? or waterproof ?? Can I use it in light rain conditions ?? What about in the winter when it’s real cold ??No, never fly in rain, will kill your bird, instead of ST16, use the Wizard for follow me and other functions, it has a water proof/dust proof cove(after you learn to fly it well!) It will be fine in cold weather, snow, as long as not below 20 degrees manual I believe states

3) Is the Typhoon H dust & waterproof ?? Or is the drone a “Fair Weather Bird” only ??Fair weather bird only, cloudy, overcast is fine, but it is definetively not water proof as with almost all drones!. Can handle alittle dust, but if trailing a ATV and blowing alot of dust on to it, it would not be well for motor bearing and circuitry. Almost all drones are not water or dust proof! I believe there is one or two drones that claim waterproof, but I cannot tell you anything about them!

4) Does the Wizard Wand control only the flight of the drone or will it also start & stop video recording ??Flight only mainly, you may have minimal camera functions as on/off, start/stop recordings now or in future.

5) Does the controller sun shade come in the basic package ?? If not, is it really needed ?? (I’m thinking I may need it to block sunlight on the screen. And making a holder to mount the controller to the front rack of my ATV)It does in first release H's and I am almost sure it is also with them now, It doesn't work to well, especially with sun at your back!, but you can buy a glare screen saver that helps alittle. If you plan to do rough riding, you will definetively want to use the Wizard, as the ST16 is quite bulky!
Hope that went up on post!

Thanks for all the info guys. That's what I needed to know ... and to be honest, I'm not sure the drone will work for my intended purpose.

Yes, I could get a "Practice" drone like Steve Carr mentioned, but then we're talking even more money. Not really what I want to do.
And it's kinda weird when I read, the Typhoon is ready to fly right out of the box ... but maybe that statement "ASSUMES" the buyer has SOME experience flying drones already !?!?

Steve Carr, you mention you wouldn't take the ST16 on the ATV ... so can I leave it home then & be able to get the drone in the air & start recording video with the Wizard ?? It seems I would need the controller to check, verify, or change ANYTHING for getting the recording I want. Is that correct ?? What about take off & landings ?? I had planned on carrying the controller with me (in my rear cargo box), but once the drone was in the air, I would let the Wizard do the rest in the Watch Me & Follow Me mode.

I wouldn't plan on using the drone or the controller while it was raining, even lightly, of even foggy. But it could happen. And if I had the controller out on the front rack, then the rain would mess that up ... unless I made some kind of cover ... which sounds like a hassle.

Steve Carr, with the video's I currently take with my POV cameras, they are easier to edit & make a movie with, if the recording clips are around 10 minutes or less. (I do hit start & stop while I ride & I record all day long ... and I carry several spare batteries)
Now, I know they say a battery in the H will last what, 25 minutes ?? Let's say 20 to be safe. The drone recording question is, will I be recording for a full 20 minutes ?? Or will I land once in a while after recording for under 10 minutes. Move to a new area, and start flying & recording again ?? Will that use up even more battery life ?? I was thinking, if I had 3 batteries, I could count on getting at least 45 minutes of video recording done .... if, like you say, I can fly the dang thing & if I don't crash it. :rolleyes:

DroneClone Guy ... where I live & where I ride, it's pretty easy to travel 100 miles before I unload the bike. And, what if I ride over a 100 miles on my ATV ride ?? (I doubt that would ever happen, but it could. I did 80 miles in a day once & out in the desert it would be easy to do 100 miles)
Seems like a hassle to have to go thru the calibration dance each & every time I travel to ride & fly .... gonna have to think about this drone thing some more. Not so sure it's what I need.

20 degs is as low as the drone will function ?? Dang, that's not very cold, I ride in below zero temps often in the winter. (I ride between 7500 & 9500 ft elevation) ... and then there's battery life in the cold. I know that's an issue with the POV cameras I use now.

I don't usually ride with anyone, so I wouldn't be eating any other rides dust. But, the wind does have a tendency to change directions without notice, so dust could be an issue (for the controller) it sounds like. But if the controller is in the rear cargo box, it should be OK. Besides, I wouldn't be able to ride & fly & use the controller at the same time anyway ......... I know, I'm not much of a multi-tasker !!

Can you take off & land with the Wizard ?? Or is that a controller function only ??

OK, guess I won't worry about the sunshade ... if I decide to actually buy a drone ... which I'm not to sure about doing now.

I really appreciate all the answers guys, it's been a great help to confirm some of my fears & concerns about making a drone purchase. But I think for the moment, I'm gonna have to save my money & "Imagine" some awesome drone ATV riding video !! ... :(

Then again thou ... I sure would like to get the H !!

Thanks for all the info guys. That's what I needed to know ... and to be honest, I'm not sure the drone will work for my intended purpose.

Yes, I could get a "Practice" drone like Steve Carr mentioned, but then we're talking even more money. Not really what I want to do.
And it's kinda weird when I read, the Typhoon is ready to fly right out of the box ... but maybe that statement "ASSUMES" the buyer has SOME experience flying drones already !?!?

Steve Carr, you mention you wouldn't take the ST16 on the ATV ... so can I leave it home then & be able to get the drone in the air & start recording video with the Wizard ?? It seems I would need the controller to check, verify, or change ANYTHING for getting the recording I want. Is that correct ?? What about take off & landings ?? I had planned on carrying the controller with me (in my rear cargo box), but once the drone was in the air, I would let the Wizard do the rest in the Watch Me & Follow Me mode.

I wouldn't plan on using the drone or the controller while it was raining, even lightly, of even foggy. But it could happen. And if I had the controller out on the front rack, then the rain would mess that up ... unless I made some kind of cover ... which sounds like a hassle.

Steve Carr, with the video's I currently take with my POV cameras, they are easier to edit & make a movie with, if the recording clips are around 10 minutes or less. (I do hit start & stop while I ride & I record all day long ... and I carry several spare batteries)
Now, I know they say a battery in the H will last what, 25 minutes ?? Let's say 20 to be safe. The drone recording question is, will I be recording for a full 20 minutes ?? Or will I land once in a while after recording for under 10 minutes. Move to a new area, and start flying & recording again ?? Will that use up even more battery life ?? I was thinking, if I had 3 batteries, I could count on getting at least 45 minutes of video recording done .... if, like you say, I can fly the dang thing & if I don't crash it. :rolleyes:

DroneClone Guy ... where I live & where I ride, it's pretty easy to travel 100 miles before I unload the bike. And, what if I ride over a 100 miles on my ATV ride ?? (I doubt that would ever happen, but it could. I did 80 miles in a day once & out in the desert it would be easy to do 100 miles)
Seems like a hassle to have to go thru the calibration dance each & every time I travel to ride & fly .... gonna have to think about this drone thing some more. Not so sure it's what I need.

20 degs is as low as the drone will function ?? Dang, that's not very cold, I ride in below zero temps often in the winter. (I ride between 7500 & 9500 ft elevation) ... and then there's battery life in the cold. I know that's an issue with the POV cameras I use now.

I don't usually ride with anyone, so I wouldn't be eating any other rides dust. But, the wind does have a tendency to change directions without notice, so dust could be an issue (for the controller) it sounds like. But if the controller is in the rear cargo box, it should be OK. Besides, I wouldn't be able to ride & fly & use the controller at the same time anyway ......... I know, I'm not much of a multi-tasker !!

Can you take off & land with the Wizard ?? Or is that a controller function only ??

OK, guess I won't worry about the sunshade ... if I decide to actually buy a drone ... which I'm not to sure about doing now.

I really appreciate all the answers guys, it's been a great help to confirm some of my fears & concerns about making a drone purchase. But I think for the moment, I'm gonna have to save my money & "Imagine" some awesome drone ATV riding video !! ... :(

Then again thou ... I sure would like to get the H !!

Not to sound negative, nor sarcastic, but it sounds like you are needing a "Full Blown" helicopter and film crew for what you are wanting to get from a consumer grade drone? These level drones are great for aerial photography, they are not designed by flight time and components to film dirt bike racing or even long dirt bike rides. For you a nice filming of some rides and jumps and lift offs, yes!. Remember too, top speed is approximately 40 mph. So if you plan on riding faster than that over 80 miles, not only will it not keep up with you, but you'd better have a truckload of batteries on hand. These birds are great, and very advanced machines that will do alot for the money. But full out motocross blasting for long hall rides it is not!.
If you just want to get some good photos or vids of you riding a coarse and aerials of you making jumps and turns, then it will serve you well!
Also, the main function between the ST16 Controller and the Wizard in your scenario, would be you carry the Wizard and someone be controller the ST16 for camera controller and adjustments.
I hope you find what you need to capture your rides and I sounds awesome you can get out and do those thing!Best of Wishes!:)

Not to sound negative, nor sarcastic, but it sounds like you are needing a "Full Blown" helicopter and film crew for what you are wanting to get from a consumer grade drone? These level drones are great for aerial photography, they are not designed by flight time and components to film dirt bike racing or even long dirt bike rides. For you a nice filming of some rides and jumps and lift offs, yes!. Remember too, top speed is approximately 40 mph. So if you plan on riding faster than that over 80 miles, not only will it not keep up with you, but you'd better have a truckload of batteries on hand. These birds are great, and very advanced machines that will do alot for the money. But full out motocross blasting for long hall rides it is not!.
If you just want to get some good photos or vids of you riding a coarse and aerials of you making jumps and turns, then it will serve you well!
Also, the main function between the ST16 Controller and the Wizard in your scenario, would be you carry the Wizard and someone be controller for the ST16 , for camera controller and adjustments.
I hope you find what you need to capture your rides and It sounds awesome you can get out and do those things!Best of Wishes!:)

Last edited:
Gunny,

Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of a drone:)
Let me see if I can muddy the waters:
1) you can take off and land with wizard
2) you can use your phone to connect to the camera to set up the video so no need for st16 in your case
3) I have gone 800 miles and not needed to calibrate my Q500. Don't see the H be any different.
4)you can take off and land and record all the time and do it multiple times. Multiple take offs will shorten time on the battery a bit, maybe around 17/18 minutes per battery.

I am afraid though that flying under 20F will not be good on batteries and some electronics don't function well either.

I don't know yufasa? I posted my response once and it appears to have made it into two separate post! got me, this is second time I have had this happen ! Not my fault!;)

It's because I have seen it before that I am asking. Maybe you don't want to quote such a long post?

Probably are right! Although I and others have done even longer ones , with no issues!, Good thought though!

Technically you need to remain in control of the Tyhpoon at all times but if you are in the sticks and no one else around meaning if its going to fall on someone it'll be you then I would take off, get it in follow me mode put the controller in a bag or box then ride. You could use the Wizard as an emergency stop if you like.

Let me stress do this in an unpopulated area and remember if you run it in to a tree or a rock then its only you to blame not Yuneec.

As far as getting a 'beginner' drone to "learn on", while it is always good advice to know somewhat what you are doing before doing it, when it comes to learning on a smaller drone without GPS and then going to a GPS enabled drone is like night and day when it comes to control and flying. Quite frankly, I "learned" on smaller drones that were indoors capable only and it actually got me into a bit of trouble with my Q5004K. Suffice it to say, drones (I hate using that term but alas) in the class of the Q500, Typhoon H, even the DJI Phantoms ARE ready to fly right out of the box. And rather easily at that.
Would I recommend that you take one of these units with you on an ATV excursion without learning to fly it first? Absolutely not!
Do I feel someone with little to no knowledge could fly one of these units with some YouTube instruction. Absolutely!

Also, the main function between the ST16 Controller and the Wizard in your scenario, would be you carry the Wizard and someone be controller for the ST16 , for camera controller and adjustments.
I hope you find what you need to capture your rides and It sounds awesome you can get out and do those things!Best of Wishes!:)

HAHAHAHAHA !!! ... I love that first sentence DroneClone Guy .... now if I could get a full blown helicopter crew go with with me for a one time cost of say $1500 ... I'd be on that in a second !! WOO HOO !!
BTW, I don't race, or jump my bike even. I'm more of an explorer type rider. Just for Sh*ts & Grins, check out this short vid ... it'll give an idea of how I ride ...

Yup, I know about the top speed thing & I hardly ever go over 35 mph where I ride. To rocky. And if I had a whirlybird (for those that don't like the word drone) on one of my rides, I wouldn't be using it non-stop for 5 or 6 hrs. Just taking some short clips to "Add" to the overall video enjoyment. Or so I hope anyway.

Again, I ride alone, so no help with someone controlling the ST-16. So once I start riding, everything would already have to be set up.

And just so you know, I am still on the fence about this. I mean, I'm good & highly intelligent (just ask me), but I didn't expect to unbox the bird & instantly start flying & recording without some kind of a learning curve. I figure it could take me months ... which is part of the enjoyment of these toys, right ??

Gunny,

Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of a drone:)
Let me see if I can muddy the waters:
1) you can take off and land with wizard
2) you can use your phone to connect to the camera to set up the video so no need for st16 in your case
3) I have gone 800 miles and not needed to calibrate my Q500. Don't see the H be any different.
4)you can take off and land and record all the time and do it multiple times. Multiple take offs will shorten time on the battery a bit, maybe around 17/18 minutes per battery.

I am afraid though that flying under 20F will not be good on batteries and some electronics don't function well either.

You could be right Yufasa, maybe I am trying to talk myself out of one ... but I still want one.

1) COOL !! That helps a lot & makes it easier for me so I won't have to hurry up & stop, dig the ST-16 out & land the bird.
2) Ummm, right now I have a Galaxy S3 & I'm not sure it will work compared to some of the newer phones. But yeah, I could try it. As long as it doesn't auto-adjust any of the preset settings ... like it does with my POV cameras.
3) That would be cool too. But I guess time & use would tell for sure.
4) Understood.

Yes, I already know about batteries & cold weather riding ... it can be a challenge for sure.

Thanks for the info.

Technically you need to remain in control of the Tyhpoon at all times but if you are in the sticks and no one else around meaning if its going to fall on someone it'll be you then I would take off, get it in follow me mode put the controller in a bag or box then ride. You could use the Wizard as an emergency stop if you like.

Let me stress do this in an unpopulated area and remember if you run it in to a tree or a rock then its only you to blame not Yuneec.

Understood ... and when I'm out riding, if I ever see another person, it kinda ruins my day ... it's not that I'm antisocial ... I just don't like people ....... WHAT ?? :)

And I sure hope I wouldn't run into a rock or tree ... that 's not just hard on the bike, but it hurts too !! :eek:

Last edited:
As far as getting a 'beginner' drone to "learn on", while it is always good advice to know somewhat what you are doing before doing it, when it comes to learning on a smaller drone without GPS and then going to a GPS enabled drone is like night and day when it comes to control and flying. Quite frankly, I "learned" on smaller drones that were indoors capable only and it actually got me into a bit of trouble with my Q5004K. Suffice it to say, drones (I hate using that term but alas) in the class of the Q500, Typhoon H, even the DJI Phantoms ARE ready to fly right out of the box. And rather easily at that.
Would I recommend that you take one of these units with you on an ATV excursion without learning to fly it first? Absolutely not!
Do I feel someone with little to no knowledge could fly one of these units with some YouTube instruction. Absolutely!

I agree Mortalis Guy ... I figured I'd have a long time to learn how to fly it ... or hope I would learn. That's why if I get one, I would like to get one soon so come winter, when I really would like to use it to record some riding, I'd kind of know what I was doing & hopefully, not crash it ... to often anyways ... :D

Besides, don't they tell older folks to keep learning new things to slow down the onset or prevent dementia .... this would help me in that respect, correct ?? WOO HOO !! ... ;)

I'm still on the fence about buying one, but I also know, I sure would like to try one ......... it's just using it in the great outdoors kind of spooks me I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval