Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Night flight

Reaction score
I need some advice. During the day I can fly the breeze good. This is my first drone. When I try to fly at night it either can't read a signal or if I do get it to take off it seems to go crazy. What could I be doing wrong? Does anyone have any advice on what I could be doing wrong? Is it because I haven't added lights to the legs yet? Do I need to buy the controller to fly at night or should I be able to fly at night with the app?

Hi, I don't know about the bit with not reading a signal. Do you mean that your phone does not connect to the Breeze? Or not getting GPS signal? If the latter, consider that satellite presence in the skies is variable... Eg. the free UAVForecast app for Android tells you about satellite visibility.

Regarding the 'going crazy' bit, I wonder if that is connected to the IPS camera not seeing the - presumably dark - ground? That is, the crazy behavior occurs when the Breeze is below a few feet altitude, so that the bottom sensors still want to determine height and position? Maybe try starting from a well-lit spot and then fly into the dark at some altitude? (sounds almost poetic [emoji16])

Reactions: bill neuberger
That is odd behavior. The IRS can sense low level altitude in daylight or nighttime conditions. Are you flying with GPS enabled or disabled? If GPS is disabled, the Flow Sensor will be enabled and needs enough light to detect movement of the aircraft.

You do not need the controller to fly at night. You do not need a Part 107 certification to fly at night. If you had a 107 cert you would have to apply for a waiver to be able to fly at night.

My suggestion is to be sure GPS is enabled and give the Breeze enough time on the ground to get a good GPS fix. Small lights on the legs will help you with aircraft orientation. Possibly white in front and red in back or green on the right and red on the left.

Your control signals should not differ between daylight and darkness. In fact the phone is easier to see at night than in bright sunlight for seeing where the soft-sticks are.

Of course with the new FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018, things will be changing soon and new rules will be coming out in the next few months assuming you are flying in the US.

That is odd behavior. The IRS can sense low level altitude in daylight or nighttime conditions. Are you flying with GPS enabled or disabled? If GPS is disabled, the Flow Sensor will be enabled and needs enough light to detect movement of the aircraft.

You do not need the controller to fly at night. You do not need a Part 107 certification to fly at night. If you had a 107 cert you would have to apply for a waiver to be able to fly at night.

My suggestion is to be sure GPS is enabled and give the Breeze enough time on the ground to get a good GPS fix. Small lights on the legs will help you with aircraft orientation. Possibly white in front and red in back or green on the right and red on the left.

Your control signals should not differ between daylight and darkness. In fact the phone is easier to see at night than in bright sunlight for seeing where the soft-sticks are.

Of course with the new FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018, things will be changing soon and new rules will be coming out in the next few months assuming you are flying in the US.

Reactions: Drattazzi
The law already passed Mr.moderator.... I’m glad you know about the inner workings of an unmanned aircraft but please brush up on your legality of flying a USA whether for commercial of hobby. As a commercial operator I know the hurdles and every thing the FAA makes us go through to get a daylight waiver. With the ne recertification act( law) hobbiests will be able to be held accountable for their actions.

I realize the law passed, but until the FAA rewrites the rules, hobbyists still fly under the section 336 rules. See this link Recreational Fliers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations.

I also realize what is required for a commercial pilot such as yourself.

The last time I checked the FAA site in mid December new guidelines for hobbyists have not been released.

My Avatar is DoomMeister, not Mr. Moderator, please address me as such. I understand the underlying hint of your superiority and it won't fly with me.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval