Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No drones in the park.

Is this something new? Or, local to the OP?

It's a shame they won't let you fly in your parks. I'm lucky, my parks actually encourage it. When I got my first drone, capable of flying outside, (after learning on a cheap Syma X5 and a Tello) I was scouting parks and approached a police car parked in the lot and asked about places to fly. He told me about 3 big parks in the area where people "fly all the time"....I usually fly out of my backyard and around the neighborhood when not at the park or on a job.
This is what I saw on the filming waiver that I got at one of our state parks so it's not technically an FAA regulation but might be something they will run into and part of it is a common sense recommendation. I would fly closer to structures if I was mapping them otherwise you probably won't get that close when just taking a video or photo.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
There's a location I have to go back to frequently to updates on a construction project.

While on location if I have to do maintenance on one of the drones or test something new out I've been going to a large wide open park for test flights. After I found the park on the map I did extensive research on whether or not drones could be flown in the park. The first thing I looked at was the state laws. The state passed a law that counties, cities and towns must specifically state which parks drones are not allowed to be flown in and that it must be prominently posted in the park that drones are prohibited.

The park is a county park so I checked the website for the county parks and didn't find anything saying you couldn't fly in that park or any of the county parks at all. I checked the page for the specific park and there was nothing saying I couldn't fly in that park.

So after flying in that park on multiple occasions over the course of a year a park employee drove his truck across the grass, pulled up as I was landing one of the drones and yelled, "You're going to have to put that away. No drones in the park!"

I complied and after I had put it back in the car I went looking for their "prominent sign." All I found was an 8.5x11 piece of paper posted on a bulletin board that had the park rules on it. About two thirds of the way down there was a sentence that read as follows, "Remote-controlled aircraft/drones are prohibited."

I went back and checked the county web page and they had added a section that now stated that drone flying was prohibited in all parks except those that have designated areas for remote-controlled aircraft and drones." Which there is one park that has an AMA field.

They actually broke state law by posting a blanket statement and failing to prominently post the prohibition against drones.

While the AMA field is a place where I can fly test flights it's a lot further away and there's a lot of air traffic there so it's definitely less convenient.

I've thought about notifying the county that they aren't in compliance with the state laws but I don't feel it's worth the trouble and won't really benefit me since they clearly will just change the way their drone prohibition is worded and will post signs so I get nothing for my trouble. The part that does annoy me is that lots of people walk their dogs in the park and most of them don't keep them on a leash as the 8.5x11 park rules clearly states and the numerous signs around the park clearly illustrate.

The spot I always flew in was on the edge of the park away from the trails and I actually had the drone over a swamp that was just outside of the park. It's actually far more likely that an unleashed dog would harm a human or wildlife than a drone would but the park employees don't seem to think that's an issue at all.

What my point actually is that if you make it difficult for people to find out they can't fly a drone somewhere than people are going to fly their drones in your park. Maybe I should've periodically checked the county website but they clearly should've posted prominent signs as the state law required.

End of rant.
What are the rules for drone flying on the beach below mean high tide? I live in Vero Beach FL and I am challenged to find a legal place to fly due to FAA controlled airspace regulations and county regulations that prohibit flying in public recreational parks. I drone fish below the mean high tide in an area with no controlled air space and access the beach by parking in a local state park, walking through the park and finding a place to drone fish on the beach. Indian River County Ordinance 205.03.27(a) prohibits flying unmanned aircraft in recreational parks. Does this apply to below mean high tide? I asked the county Parks and Recreation, and they said that is OK to fly in the park as long as I don't interfere with the serenity of park visitors. The surf drowns out the drone noise and I only fly when no body is around. But have I asked the right people? Who regulates drone flying below the mean high tide?

The FAA has jurisdiction in the air. For Takeoff/landing/ controlling the property owner has jurisdiction. If areas below mean high tide are not considered to be part of the park then there should be no problem.

I was just looking at that are for controlled airspace and there is a lot of it. If you fly within controlled airspace be sure to get LAANC clearance when you do. I find AirMap to be very easy to use to get clearance.

Reactions: chascoadmin
By way of comparison, in Italy it is forbidden to fly on the coast line for 100 meters towards the sea and inland, in the summer period, from 1 April to 31 October
The ban is valid for all coasts, even those not used for bathing, or the entire perimeter of Italy including islands.
For the rest of the year, the flight is allowed, subject to compliance with the basic rules provided by the flight regulatory agency (ENAC) and European Easa rules.
This information can be useful to those who come from abroad to Italy for the holidays, every year the fines and seizures of drones on the beaches are always very numerous.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Very helpful information, Pier. If members from different countries have any general restrictions that they could post, that would prove valuable to those travelling.

Unfortunately, all of this is moot... I expect any day that the CDC will make a determination that UAVs pose a risk of spreading disease via air turbulence, increasing airborne transmission. We are all doomed. :eek: Butterflies are also being targeted... o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Pier2162
Unfortunately, all of this is moot... I expect any day that the CDC will make a determination that UAVs pose a risk of spreading disease via air turbulence, increasing airborne transmission. We are all doomed. :eek: Butterflies are also being targeted... o_O

Drones are killing all the bees........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval