Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

NO FLY ZONE FIRMWARE TEST - DOES IT WORK?

Reaction score
I got my firmware update to bypass the NFZ for major airports last week. I finally got to test it. I read a thread in the H forums were the firmware still restricts drone from starting 1 miles from airports and only reach 30 feet maximum vertical height if within 3 miles. I fired off a "wtf" email to Yuneec for not telling me these details in our communication and that I had to find out thru the forums. Just got my FAA Part 107 permit and don't really want to buy a DJI product because I love my Q500 4K.

Went to test at firmware taking off from my backyard. That is San Diego International airport looking out west, less than a mile away and got up to 80 feet before bringing her back down before the drone police caught me. Aircraft land and take off south to north so my short flight did not interfere with any traffic. Prior to update, I could not even start my quad unless I was at least 5 miles away from the airport. So do I need to send an apology to Yuneec or is the restricted NFZ firmware for the H only?
Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 2.41.28 PM.jpg

Last edited:
The Drone Police caught you? What does that mean?

Wow, someone actually responded after over a month? :) My post is saying that the NFZ firmware update does not seem to have the limitation of the H model. I have been able to start and fly my drone responsibly at least 1 miles away from our airport and higher than 30 feet. Drone police? That is part of the sense of humor I try to include in my post.

I was hoping others can chime in to see if they experienced any limitations with the firmware update but I guess the drone police got them. :(

Last edited:
Didn't even notice the age of it. This forum seems a little less active, though it might have been the tags in your post that put it in my view; I haven't gone past like page 2.

Reactions: m5zealot
Didn't even notice the age of it. This forum seems a little less active, though it might have been the tags in your post that put it in my view; I haven't gone past like page 2.
Wow, someone actually responded after over a month? :) My post is saying that the NFZ firmware update does not seem to have the limitation of the H model. I have been able to start and fly my drone responsibly at least 1 miles away from our airport and higher than 30 feet. Drone police? That is part of the sense of humor I try to include in my post.

I was hoping others can chime in to see if they experienced any limitations with the firmware update but I guess the drone police got them. :(
Where do you get this NFZ restriction lifted update

The Q500 firmware is different then the Typhoon H firmware as it has no restrictions
You where correct about the Typhoon H NFZ firmware as it does indeed restrict you to 30 feet. Pretty much useless unless you just want to test flight your H.

You can call Yuneec USA and ask for the updated firmware. They will send you a waiver and you will need to sign it and send it back. They will then issue you the firmware.
Not sure how it is done in the EU.

You can call Yuneec USA and ask for the updated firmware. They will send you a waiver and you will need to sign it and send it back. They will then issue you the firmware.
Not sure how it is done in the EU.
Not from EU ...Im from Canada

The Q500 firmware is different then the Typhoon H firmware as it has no restrictions
You where correct about the Typhoon H NFZ firmware as it does indeed restrict you to 30 feet. Pretty much useless unless you just want to test flight your H.

Thanks for confirming! Yes, I have been able to fly my Q500 - safely anywhere since the update. I used to have to drive 25 miles out of my city to fly. Now, I'm able to fly at two flying clubs which are only 3 miles from the major airport. These areas are within 5 miles of my home so I'm flying more now.

I just came across this forum as I was looking up why I my Q500 wasn't able to work. I am visiting down from Oregon along the waterfront in San Diego. After much research I realized that I think I'm in a no fly zone as Coronado is right across the water from me and the airport is definitely within 5 miles away. I was trying to re-bind my copter and doing numerous compass re-calibrations and still nothing was working...until I believe now why it wasn't...NFZ! What the heck!!! So from reading the above posts then I can call up Yuneec and ask for a waiver that I will sign, send it back and then I should expect to get a firmware update to allow me to fly? What was crazy is this other guy comes by with a Phantom III and was able to fly no problem. After reading these posts things were starting to unravel and it seemed that it was Yuneec's product that didn't allow for this?!!! Well thanks for the lead on getting ahold of Yuneec and asking for the waiver in order for me to enjoy by Q500. If I would have known better I would have just gone Phantom right away actually. If this persists and as more people start to know about this then I would think people would opt for a Phantom and avoid the frustration of Yuneec.

I just came across this forum as I was looking up why I my Q500 wasn't able to work. I am visiting down from Oregon along the waterfront in San Diego. After much research I realized that I think I'm in a no fly zone as Coronado is right across the water from me and the airport is definitely within 5 miles away. I was trying to re-bind my copter and doing numerous compass re-calibrations and still nothing was working...until I believe now why it wasn't...NFZ! What the heck!!! So from reading the above posts then I can call up Yuneec and ask for a waiver that I will sign, send it back and then I should expect to get a firmware update to allow me to fly? What was crazy is this other guy comes by with a Phantom III and was able to fly no problem. After reading these posts things were starting to unravel and it seemed that it was Yuneec's product that didn't allow for this?!!! Well thanks for the lead on getting ahold of Yuneec and asking for the waiver in order for me to enjoy by Q500. If I would have known better I would have just gone Phantom right away actually. If this persists and as more people start to know about this then I would think people would opt for a Phantom and avoid the frustration of Yuneec.

Hi Jimmie, Welcome to San Diego. If you have seen any of my other post, you will be dismayed to find out, we have more than 5 NFZs in San Diego. You literally can't start up or fly your Q500 anywhere pretty without the firmware update from Yuneec. Sure DJI does not have this safety feature in their quads and that is disturbing. So many "kids" got quads for Xmas and I expect a major incident is looming in the horizon. I have personally seen some kids flying really close to the airport the past few days with their "white" quads and I pray they do not collide with any passenger aircraft. I use my Q500 4K to film automotive features which have to be filmed withing the 5 mile NFZs. I do call the tower to let them know where and how high I will be flying as per FAA mandates. I never fly over 400 feet or 50 feet near 3 of the heliports at the hospitals by my home either. The Q500 is the wrong quad for you if you are willing to risk flying in NFZ's. DJI is where you need to look for that. Keep in mind the more professional Typhoon H also has firmware you can get from Yuneec but, it will still restrict height to 30 feet if you are withing 5 miles of a major airport. You will be able to start up at least and still fly. The Q500 firmware update has no limitations.

I think it's great that Yuneec has this safety in place because there are irresponsible or ignorant pilots out there. To me the hobby has already been jeopardized and a bad accident will happen. You can call Yuneec and they can send you a waiver to sign. Send it back and they will send you firmware to allow you to fly ANYWHERE. But, please be mindful of FAA guidelines. Do you have the B4UFLY app on your phone? It will show you all the NFZs in any city. Did you register your quad with the FAA? Good luck and have fun...safely.

Last edited:
Thanks m5Zealot for the additional info. Yes I agree that the precautions of the NFZs are good because I can see how some people these days have this entitlement to do anything they want and that can be a bad thing without any accountability or training in flying one of these. I just wanted to fly by Q500 today and get some footage as well...then the person with the Phantom showed me up (haha). Anyways it's good that there is a way around this but than you for putting safety and responsibility at the forefront of operating one of these things. Maybe if I go up to La Jolla I will be out of the NFZ range :) I'm only here for a few more days.

is the firmware particular to each drone or is it justone update that would work on all drones of the same model?

I just called Yuneec about this and left a messege for my Typhoon H unlocking firmware and of course they are closed for the Holiday. Now i just wait to hear back from them tomorrow. This seems to be the only place the NOFLY ZONE is mentioned for the Yuneec Typhoon H. Nothing on Youtube or anywhere....... you would think there would be a disclaimer letting you know this before you buy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval