Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No Fly Zone for End Users

I'd say that was a little aggressive. A lot of us are new and a little guidance is all most of us seek. bc
Way too many threads about people griping about the NFZ firmware and their quads won't turn on where they want to fly - near a major airport, then in turn slamming Yuneec for the quad being locked down because they want to break FAA Regs, probably several other regs and local laws, and put the entire hobby in jeopardy.

If Yuneec would just publish a map of their NFZ database then people could make an informed buying decision. DJI does it.
I called Yuneec several weeks ago and they referred me to Mapbox.com. When I went to the site it showed the map they use. A week later I went and checked again, and now the site auto-redirects to the FAA site.
No need to get panties in a wad over this. It's a simple question that people are asking.

Thanks Sticks.....I was just looking for information so i knew A) what the limitations of the quad actually were and B) better understand where my NFZ's actually were. I'm not looking to go break the rules, there is a lot of misinformation out there. Just want to know if my neighbors helipad 3 miles a way will prevent me from test flying the quad in my own yard or if it only limits near actual airports, in which case i'm a safe 10 miles away. I don't know why its so difficult for Yuneec to publish the NFZ maps they use so we can make informed decisions. That's all. Thanks everyone for the support.

It's been a common complaint, and I agree, Yuneec should list the NFZ that they have. They don't. It's only confirmed as being major airports where people insist that they should be able to fly and can't. Everything else seems to be wide open.

Way too many people automatically assume that their NFZ is as bad or worse than DJI, with the bonus of not being able to bypass (Motors will not start, period) by sending your personal info and credit card info in like DJI does with their app.

It as also been confirmed by several owners that it's a 3 mile radius, not 5 (FAA Reg-U-Lations say it has to be 5).

False. I live 4 miles from an International Airport and my motors won't start. No matter how you measure it, it's greater than 3 miles where I live in relation to the airport. Maybe this was older firmware that has since been updated. My Q500 was purchased in December.

It's been a common complaint, and I agree, Yuneec should list the NFZ that they have. They don't. It's only confirmed as being major airports where people insist that they should be able to fly and can't. Everything else seems to be wide open.

Like I said, I'm 4+ miles from the Int'l airport and don't live in a flight path. Been here two years and the planes always take off north/south and I live east. They don't turn until they are well out of range. I have to drive an additional few miles to fly. It's really not that big of a deal anymore, just annoying that I can't take responsibility for my own actions. The tower even said it was cool, but Yuneec hardwired the restriction so it's not cool after all.

I'm more annoyed with the mandatory 400' altitude lockout. I'm hoping this can be bypassed. I was about to preorder the H when I saw this. Last I heard 400' was a recommendation from the FAA not a law, and for those of us who aren't in the US and governed by their laws its doubly annoying. I'll wait a bit to find out if this is a permanent hard-limit and if it is then I'm going back to my original plan to get the Phantom 4.

You can change the altitude max in the GUI. It's preset per FAA recommendations at 400' from point of takeoff. You want to make it 10k, go for it.

Don't fly stupid.
Thanks for the info that helps my decision. I wish we had acces to the NFZ database now. I can't access the app you all get linked to its not available in Canada and the Hover app that is shows my house inside a yellow area because of an old dirt airstrip.

Does anyone have any info on Canadian NFZs from Yuneec?

Major International and National airports, and Military bases only. Regional, Helipads, and Farmer runways are not on the Yuneec firmware that anyone has found.
Sadly in the city I live in, the whole town is built in a circle around the airport so pretty much no fly in most parks and the most scenic areas of town

Municipal codes are a far larger issue for places to fly. Seriously.

2 NFZ (excluding regional, farmer, helipad, and stadium that are not in the Yuneec Firmware) in the Denver CO Metro area, and in the Northwest quarter of the city where I reside, there are 2, count them 2 cities/counties that do not have laws on the books preventing operation of RC aircraft in city parks and or open space.

225 square miles, and there is effectively 1 square mile divided among 2 parks that I can legally operate my Q500 from. That little 5 mile circle is nothing compared to what municipal code has in place, and these codes have been on the books for decades - not something new.

Municipal codes are a far larger issue for places to fly. Seriously.

2 NFZ (excluding regional, farmer, helipad, and stadium that are not in the Yuneec Firmware) in the Denver CO Metro area, and in the Northwest quarter of the city where I reside, there are 2, count them 2 cities/counties that do not have laws on the books preventing operation of RC aircraft in city parks and or open space.

225 square miles, and there is effectively 1 square mile divided among 2 parks that I can legally operate my Q500 from. That little 5 mile circle is nothing compared to what municipal code has in place, and these codes have been on the books for decades - not something new.
I understand that completely but if you got permission the difference is that your drone will turn its props in all the other areas.

Does anyone have updated information on NFZ maps for Yuneec? If they team up with noflyzone.org and start adding private locations and virtually anyone registering, there's no sense in having a Yuneec product for me.

DJI uses the same provider and they do not enforce the voluntary personal NFZ. I assume no makers would.

My original intent was to ask what airports does Yuneec tag as NFZ? For example, when DJI's GEO first was released, every grass strip airport was included as shown by B4UFLY. Many of them are no longer in use and others are uncontrolled, no tower and seldom used. I would find it absurd to lock down all registered airports. Even DJI no longer does that. 3DR doesn't either. I'm trying to find out what Yuneec's policy is today, because their links go directly to U.S. Air Space | Know Before You Fly which is very restrictive and would prohibit me from flying in several places where we live near uncontrolled "Green Acres" type grass strips.

P.S. I ordered a Typhoon H last night, so need to know what the official Yuneec NFZ map is to decide whether to cancel or not.

The B4Ufly app lists just about everything, even farms and private field runways.
The vast majority of which simply need a phone call of details of times and altitudes to get permission to fly, many are no longer in use.
Would be nice if they listed phone numbers of the airports too but oh well.
The Yuneec uses a different list, so locations that are not "major" airports are not in the bird's "auto" NFZ
Yes, some local ordinances have restrictions.
Before flying in municipal park locally I visited the police station and asked.
As far as I can determine TN state legislature only have restrictions on using uavs to "harrass hunters"
Best way to tell is set up, and fire up. If the motors start it's not in the Yuneec NFZ
To be legally 'safe' still need to check who to contact if B4Ufly says you're within any airport space.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy